Student Progress Center Lincoln Parish, Low Income Housing Glendale, Az, Questionnaire About Choosing Strand In Senior High School, Every Moment Holy Liturgy Prints, Articles C

Fernsby, (Old English Origin) Derived from the old English words meaning "fern farmstead". Augustin Meaning: a descendant of Augustine Origin: English 2. Students learn about the violent responses to the transformation of US democracy that occurred as a result of Radical Reconstruction. . ", "If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all the generations of your ancestors. Names. Q. If the former slave had been befriended or assisted in getting established after the Civil War, they might have taken that person's name. And again, as a white Southerner whose ancesters were NOT slaveowners, your blog is helping me to understand the real and horrible legacy of the peculiar institution. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Hi Rodney, On Anglican (Church of England) baptisms records the child legally and officially is documented with the surname of the mother if she and the father were not married. This page is currently showing names ranked from 1 to 1000. I have gotten so many requests over the years from those who couldn't make the live webinars so I hope you enjoy this new feature. Robyn. After Emancipation, many former slaves adopted new names and surnames. Each is present in your body. 6. There has been much debate among scholars, historians and genealogists whether enslaved African Americans used the surnames of their last owners, previous owners, or a surname that had no connection to slavery. 40. I was called by that name all the time I was with the Morrows. How did you ever come by the name of "Mollie"? Thanks for commenting and continued luck in your research, We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Many of the graves are unmarked or the markers have been damaged, but many descendents still live around here, so we hope to identify as many of the possible graves as we can. Slavery was coexistent with the founding in 1670 of the first permanent colony in South Carolina, and early official records occasionally contain the names of slaves.3 An inventory of the estate of Francis Jones in 1693 lists 'a negro man Jack' and 'a negro Woman name Jugg.'4 An inventory of the Bradley was the last man owned em. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. The first published African-American poet & author Phillis Wheatley was born in West Africa. I dont know what became of his parents. E. Togo Salmon Conference, E. Togo Salmon Conference 1993 Mcmaster University: Goodyear III, Frank H. "Photography changes the way we record and respond to social issues". [15] Alice Clifton (c. 1772-unknown), as an enslaved teenager, she was a defendant in an infanticide trial in 1787. Also largely unrecorded are the alternative names the enslaved used among themselves, sometimes called country names or basket names; they may also, according to African practice, have had multiple names over a lifetime. Former slaves often made up surnames based on their occupations. Copy this link, or click below to email it to a friend. 18. I am an engineer by day, but my true passion lies in genealogy. So I asked my mother and she told me my father John Barnett, a white man, and I took up the name of Barnett . Im jealous;) The common names there (Marie, Louise, etc) would test anyones genealogical skills, so I take my hat off to you. And this example from another pension file shows how even the given name of this enslaved woman was held under little regard: Testimony of Mollie Russell (widow of Phillip Fry), September 19, 1911: Q. The most common of 603 names of female Slaves were Bet, Mary, Jane, Hanna, Betty, Sarah, Phillis, Nan, Peg, and Sary. Another interesting fact is that Creole surname use also evolved over time and varied from record to record with the same person. If a surname was needed, the slave owners family name might be used. by John C. Inscoe, 2006; Revised May 2022 by NC Government & Heritage Library. Oxford Bibliographies Online is available by subscription and perpetual access to institutions. Most common last names names: 1-1000 | 1001-2000 | 2001-3000 | 3001-4000 | 4001-5000 Names from the Bible were another common practice, for given and surnames. They reflect an acculturation process by which generations of enslaved people, increasingly removed from the direct influence of their first enslaved African ancestors, adopted the conventions of their enslavers, eventually creating a culture and value system all their own. Harris: A patronymic meaning son of Harry. Nat Turner's Rebellion One of the most famous slave revolts in American history came in 1831 when Nat Turner led a bloody uprising in Southampton County, Virginia. The campaign in Britain to abolish slavery began in the 1760s, supported by both black and white abolitionists. Wide-ranging survey of naming practices in the (mainly Anglophone) Atlantic world both during and after slavery. Thanks for all you to do keeps us all so enlightened! CLICK HERE TO SAVE YOUR SEAT! There was often a fluidity to the surnames that enslaved people had. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries African-American slaves retained Africanisms in their naming practices. For more information about the records covered in this index,please contact the History and Genealogy Department. . Where did you get the maiden name of Smith from? Even tiny steps are huge in someones life. Claudia Bautista,Santa Monica, Calif. You must have JavaScript enabled to use this form. I was called mostly Lewis Smith till after the war, although I was named Dick Lewis Smith After the War, I was wearing the name Lewis Smith, but I found the negroes were taking the names of their fathers, like the white folks. I was called by that name all the time I was with the Morrows. Clark is a common surname of Anglo-Scottish origin. Robinson: A patronymic of the name Robin. Of course my mother wasnt a Bradley fore she married. In French-speaking Louisiana, Slave names reflected the dominant language and thus were generally different from those in the English colonies. For more information or to contact an Oxford Sales Representative click here. Cook Cook has an Old English origin, and it means 'one who cooks' or 'one who sold cooked meat'. Olympic speed skater Apolo Anton Ohno might inspire some parents. In my research so far, I have found very little evidence of white Culbert slaveholders only three cases so far. By examining periods of violence during the Reconstruction era, students learn about the potential backlash to political and social change. All of them are alive in this moment. Were there any famous slaves? Students examine the factors that led many northerners to turn against federal policies passed during the Reconstruction era that protected freedpeople. Bernard Meaning: brave warrior Origin: French 4. i did a simple search of the 1860 slave schedule using the name Culbert and came up with slaveholders in MS,VA,NC,AL,GA and SC holding 17 enslaved people. Through Reclaiming Kin, I share tips on genealogy skillbuilding for all genealogists, and on researching slavery and the enslaved. Thank you for your kind comment and I am glad my post helped some with the complicated reasons behind the surnames enslaved people had. I hope you dont mind my sharing those posts. I am researching the surname Culbert worldwide, and the data can be found at: culbert.one-name.net There are a growing number of African Americans with this surname, which I believe originates in Scotland. Q. . My great great grandfather in Mississippi took the surname of the previous SC enslaver, whose widow sold him away. Students learn about the period of violence in the South from 1873-1876 and examine its role in influencing elections and ending Republican control of Southern state governments. It means 'raven'. On all subsequent census records, he is listed as John Lewis. 1412 S. Spoede Rd., St. Louis, MO 63131-2557. please contact the History and Genealogy Department. I was only three years old when she died. What remains utterly amazing to me is that in the worst of circumstances, and in spite of every attempt to crush any idea that slaves were anything other than commodities, slaveholders did not succeed. This is another instance of oral history being a key component in tracing African American ancestry. Love you, Eliza Moore (1843 - January 21, 1948) Source = Pinimg. Thats a goal that I am working towards. I make extensive use of tables for organization, analysis and citation in my research, and they have proven very popular with genealogists. 1-86-NARA-NARA or 1-866-272-6272, Finding Aids for the National Archives at Atlanta, National Archives Catalog (National Archives Identifier 2767350). Dorothy, Doris or Dora: Meaning 'gift of God', this Victorian girl's name was popular in the 19th century. A. Mr. Thomas Jefferson of Louisville, bought me when I was three years of age from Mr. Dearing. In more than thirty years of researching my ancestors and hundreds of others enslaved on one of Americas largest plantations, slaves owned by mid-sized planters and small farmers, reviewing thousands of documents I have come across various situations that might give others clues on what to look for. A. Mr. Thomas Jefferson of Louisville, bought me when I was three years of age from Mr. Dearing. These require Microsoft Word and a Windows platform. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2006. "Injurious Names: Naming, Disavowal, and Recuperation in Contexts of Slavery and Emancipation." In The Anthropology of Names and Naming. Dear Robyn, Currently, the most popular Black last name in America is Williams, with a total count of 774,920 people who have the surname. Enslaved peoplethemselves sometimes chose names denoting weather conditions at the time of their child's birth or some distinctive feature of his or her appearance. The Voice of the Black Community in California, Last Updated on October 14, 2010 by Paulette Brown-Hinds. There are also a few problems with the original dataset in name transcription such that a small number of first names were transposed with last names. Harriet Tubman and some of the slaves she helped free. John Lewis was born in 1831; in 1844 he and several family members were given to George A. Washington of Wessyngton. And please do share posts that interest you. On another branch, members of the Griffin family from around Campbell County VA all stuck together and are believed to have kept family bonds & name of their father after Emancipation. -Winston Churchill, "The great gift of family life is to be intimately acquainted with people you might never ever introduce yourself to had life not done it for you." I worked for him as nurse for his children, and my full and correct name was OCTAVIA, but the family could not catch on to that long name and called me LOTTIE for short. Herbert G. Gutman, The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom, 1750-1925 (1976). Garcia (The Spanish form of Gerald, Garcia would be the son of Gerald. How lucky you were to find that Freedmans Bank document! Such resistance signified continual deep-rooted discontent with the condition of bondage and, in some places, such as the United States, resulted in ever-more-stringent mechanisms for social control and repression in slaveholding areas. is for you. This entry was posted on Friday, August 28th, 2009 at 11:46 am and is filed under Civil War, Genealogy & DNA, Interviews. Cheryll Cody, "'There Was No Absalom on the Ball Plantation': Slave-Naming Practices in the South Carolina Low Country, 1720-1865," American Historical Review 92 (June 1987). After emancipation, he became William Smith. Lastly,emancipation itself often provoked many to choose new surnames, one of the few actual freedoms freedmen had. Copeland This last name comes from Old Norse origin. It comes from the same Greek root as 'ambrosia', the food of the gods, said to confer immortality. Data from the 2010 Census tells a different story. Each name was a clue to her origins. They were all sold to different owners: Connell, Rose, Johnson, and Hughes respectively. Finding State Laws About Slaves and Free Blacks, More Suggestions for White Slaveholder Descendants, http://justthinking130.blogspot.com/2009/09/calvin-r-yarborough-where-it-all-began.html, http://justthinking130.blogspot.com/2013/11/many-rivers-to-cross-my-priscilla.html, https://www.historicpathways.com/articles.html, http://whitneyplantation.com/the-louisiana-slave-database.html. Introduction. It is not uncommon to see an African American family listed with one surname in 1870 and another in 1880. Of the 972 names of male Slaves recorded between 1619 and 1799 the leading ones were Jack, Tom, Harry, Sam, Will, Caesar, Dick, John, Robin, Frank, Charles, Joe and Prince. In 1800, Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman were able to escape their terrible life of enslavement and were able to help other slaves trapped in a world of forced labour and grant them freedom once again due to the Underground Railroads that helped him, his partner Anna Murray Douglas and many other fugitives sneak away from the horrible To date there are no book-length studies covering the naming of slaves across the Anglophone Atlantic, but Burton 1999 and Kaplan and Bernays 1997 provide useful entry-level discussions for the Caribbean and mainland United States, respectively. Distinctively Black names were thought to have risen from the Civil Rights and Black Power Movements, which promoted the use of names with connections to Africa. They called me OCK. It starts with a young man falling in love with a girl. No, I dont know to whom she belonged before she was brought from Virginia to Kentucky. Well, I got to thinking about all us slaves that was going to take the name Fitzpatrick. By country & year of birth. They ran away, fought back, feigned illness, destroyed tools, and clung to their families. The given name Athena was derived from the city name Athens, which is of uncertain origins. But once freed most immediately chose surnames, with or without keeping their accustomed name. See more details in the flier here and they are available for purchase for $10 . George Duncan Ludlow (1734-1808), colonial lawyer. The top 5 most common Hispanic last names from the 1920s are: 1. Florence, Fiorella, Fleur, and Flower are translations, but we like Flora best of all. This suggests most of those African-Americans probably did come about that name from prior slaveholders (since we know they likely werent from Scotland;):) I think you just have to include all the variations of Culbert to see how that could be the case. What are the most popular last names in the UK? On the U.S. Federal census that year, Wesley's birthplace was recorded as Alabama, the same as his father, and his mother's birthplace was South Carolina . This event is $20. -Hugh Kingsmill, "No matter what you've done for yourself or for humanity, if you can't look back on having given love and attention to your own family, what have you really accomplished?" Slavery is a social-economic system under which people are enslaved: deprived of personal freedom and forced to perform labor or services without compensation. I am awar eof the different naming traditions practiced in that area and I thank you for sharing them here for my readers. When they were sold away they remembered their loved ones and they created extended kinship networks. Here, our list of notable early African American names. In addition to time and place, a likely variable is whether the birth rate, in a severely overworked and maltreated population, was sufficient to ensure a relatively stable population over several generations, or whether the high mortality associated with slavery led to declining numbers and hence to the frequent acquisition of new slaves. Unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable enough about African and Caribbean research in the areas you name. When I was born my mother was known as Phillis Smith and I took the name of Smith too. Many enslaved people were allowed to keep their original African names or names assigned them elsewhere (as reflected by the frequency of Spanish and Portuguese names among the first generation of enslaved people in the Carolinas.) She was a Murphy.. Throughout the colonial period, as many as one-fifth of the enslaved people in North Carolina retained African names; Quash, Cuffee, Mingo, Sambo, Mustapha, and Sukey were among the most common recorded. Phone: 314-994-3300, Hours & Locations Comments/Suggestions314-994-3300, Copyright 2023. Isaiah derives from the Hebrew Yeshayahu, containing the elements. In doing slave research in Barbados, I have found one group of enslaved Chase ancestors who were manumitted (freed) and given the last name of the former slave owner. Here, three different former slaves discuss their names and the changes they underwent after Emancipation. Gradually, to show contempt for Slaves, the captors used Buck and Wench for naming the genders till they became trade terms, like Filly and Shoat.Contempt for the male was removing his honorific attachment to fatherhood and manhood by being addressed as Boy. Once the vigorous years of his prime were passed, he was allowed to assume the title of Uncle. Females were called Gal, girl, or the name of some animal. I was only three years old when she died. So just a few things to be aware of when researching any African-American ancestors. Thus, the patronymic surname can be effectively regarded as "keeper of the peace." This phenomenon is not unheard of with African American surnames. Analyzing Creole names, especially those of African origin, demands a combination of historical and linguistic expertise that has not yet been systematically applied to slave names. Although it is not widely known, some African Americans used surnames before they were emancipated. Unique Surnames to Grenada. common last names in the 1800s Patronymic surnames such as Jansen/Janssen, Hansen, and Petersen are the most common names in the far north (Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein). They are part of Records of the U.S. Customs Service . Some of these examples come from the wonderful book, Voices of Emancipation: I served [in the War] as Henry Lock, the Lock being my old Massas name but since the War I have taken name of Rollie., [Edward] was owned by Drury Stovall and went by the name of Edward Stovall. A. Daniel Odgen, Magic, Witchcraft, and Ghosts In The Greek and Roman Worlds, p. 119, Laurence Vidal, Los Amantes de Granada, Ed. The result was the birth of mulatto, quadroon, or mustee (mestee) children. Even worse, during this period, many African Americanssome using surnames for the very first timechanged their surnames once or even several times. Where did you get the maiden name of Smith from? In the 1760s Anglo-American frontiersmen, determined to settle the land, planted slavery firmly within the borders of what would become Tennessee. Melvin, ", "No matter what you've done for yourself or for humanity, if you can't look back on having given love and attention to your own family, what have you really accomplished? My father would be 105 if he were alive. 6. Robyn, Unraveling the origins of FPOC and slaves in Francophone Louisiana takes some thinking outside the fact, meticulous research ,familiarity with the local culture, history and a bit of serendipity on your side. I make extensive use of tables for organization, analysis and citation in my research, and they have proven very popular with genealogists. Throughout the colonial period, as many as one-fifth of the enslaved people in North Carolina retained African names; Quash, Cuffee, Mingo, Sambo, Mustapha, and Sukey were among the most common recorded.