Rochelle Gores Fredston, Articles J

So I did, in secret. Jackson and DeBarge secretly wed in 1984, when she as 18 and Debarge was 21. "I remember going to Michigan, to Grand Rapids and his uncle, he was a pastor and he married us. She even shares a harrowing story of rolling around on the floor with James, fighting to take pills from him. / AP. Jackson had a visible baby bump when she was spotted out and about in London, England, in late September, in pictures exclusively obtained by ET. Sadly, it seems that the once-talented singer's legacy and claim to fame is tied up with the women in his life: his daughter, Kristinia DeBarge, and his ex-wife Janet Jackson. And back then, you could pick up weight taking them, and thats what happened to me. She is now dating Jermaine Dupri. "Back in the day they were saying that I had a child and I kept it secret," the singer said in the documentary. In the "Janet Jackson" documentary, the singer's "Fame" costar Debbie Allen makes an appearance. "James and I decided to get married. And the shy sweethearts bonded over both coming from musical families while talking on the phone. I think we were just so both in love with each other that we just needed to block everyone else out.. Singer Janet Jackson has, at 50, given birth to her first child, a boy, her publicist confirms. Her mother, Katherine Esther Jackson (ne Scruse), played clarinet and piano, had aspired to be a country-and-western performer, and worked part-time at Sears. These lyrics kick-off Janet Jackson's 1986 album "Control": "When I was 17 / I did what people told me / Did what my father said / I let my mother mold me" (via AllMusic). Thats not right, Jackson, 55, says in the upcoming two-night Lifetime and A&E special. & 2023 CBS Studios Inc. and CBS Interactive Inc., Paramount companies. Click to Subscribe to Get Our Free HollywoodLife Daily Newsletter, Julia Stiles' Baby Born: Actress Gives Birth To 2nd Child With Husband Preston Cook, Katherine Schwarzenegger Displays Baby Bump In Denim Overalls While Out & About, Janet Jackson Super Bowl Scandal: What To Know About The Backlash & Feud With Justin Timberlake, Janet Jackson Songs: The Best Of Her Best For The Ultimate Playlist. By 18, she was married, saying part of her decision to tie the knot was to try and have a little control over her life at a time when her father was controlling her image. "I'm excited for her, because I know what that means.". Stay up to date with what you want to know. Back in the day they were saying that I had a child and I kept it secret, Janet said in an interview in her new documentary, Janet Jackson. display: none; ", The marriage had a negative affect on her professional life as well, as Debbie Allen recalled her being closed off while working on "Fame" and Janet admitted "there were a lot of times I was late for work. She is now 18 years old. Some People Think The Claims Against Him Were Just a Distraction. Trending News Keke Palmer and Darius Jackson Welcome First Child, Baby Boy Leodis 'Leo' Andrellton. He calls every once in a while and says 'Hi,' but I really don't know.". James said he always had his suspicions that Janet had a baby. Subconsciously, when it comes to relationships, somehow I'm attracted to people that use drugs. Where was the baby?. The Emmy Award winner, 29, announced the birth of their first child, a baby boy they named Leodis "Leo" Andrellton on Monday. Young DeBarge, 28, said he has recently finished an album. In an interview on A&E and Lifetime's two-part docuseries, Janet, Jackson shut down the 30-year-old . The documentary explains that tabloids suggested Jackson's sister Rebbie was raising the child or even that Jackson's adopted niece was really her own child. Shoppers Say This $10 Softening Lip Scrub With Over 18,000 Reviews Transformed Their Chapped Lips Overnight, Your Weekly Love Horoscope Says Youre Ready to Own Your Emotional Truth & Be Vulnerable, How Black Creators Can Expand Their Network with LinkedIn. There were times when Mike used to tease me and call me names, she recalled, before listing examples: Pig, horse, slaughter hog, cow., He would laugh about it and Id laugh too, but then there was somewhere down inside that it would hurt, she continued. It wasnt easy for us to see each other being that she was very well protected by her mom and dad, said DeBarge. I could never keep a child away from James. Janet was two years out from her first self-titled album and wouldn't release Control, the album that turned her into a mega-star, for another two years. In the documentary, Janet says, point blank, "I could never keep a child from James. ", Calling herself "just incredibly innocent" at the time, she added it was "hurtful for someone to see that and just try to take advantage of it and knowing you don't know any better and lie to you." The marriage was annulled just a year later, in 1985. ", I have been a MAJOR @JanetJackson fan for YEARS! Jackson suggested that the rumours surrounding a secret child may have surfaced after she began taking birth-control pills while filming the show Fame, which caused her to gain weight. I dont know, maybe its this person in me that wants to help people. Tom Sizemore, actor known for "Saving Private Ryan" and "Heat," dies at 61 Privacy Notice After decades of rumors about Janet Jackson and James DeBarge's daughter and claims they had a secret child before their divorce, the conspiracy theories have officially been shut down. How the creator of Dilbert went from star to "train wreck" Related: The 55-year-old artist addressed the rumours in the second part of the forthcoming documentary Janet, along with a number of other gossip items she had heard about herself over the years. You aren't too cool to shop Merrell's Semi Annual Sale, up to 50% off, Target's new Fine'ry perfumes have designer dupes you need to know about, The 50 best Nordstrom gifts for men, women and kids in 2023, Boz Scaggs just announced a 2023 tour: Get tickets today, Save over $1,100 on this 65'' LG Smart TV today on Amazon, Celeb-loved jewelry brand Dorsey drops dazzling new styles, Designer Dennis Basso has $200K fur fitting at midnight in Gstaad, Isabella Rossellini, 70, on aging with beauty and saying no to Botox, Tom Sizemore And The Dangerous Burden of Desperation, 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, TJ Jackson disses aunt Janets overly sexualized shows: Theyre degrading, Tom Brady slammed for calling Janet Jacksons wardrobe malfunction good for NFL, Janet Jackson re-creates Control album cover look, 36 years later, Janet Jackson celebrates most difficult album at Londons Soho House, upcoming two-night Lifetime and A&E special, Savannah Guthrie leaves 'Today' live broadcast early as Hoda Kotb remains absent, 'Annoyed' Aubrey Plaza mouths angry phrase during 'White Lotus' SAGs speech, Kellyanne Conway and George Conway to divorce after 22 years of marriage, Meghan, Harry brush off Frogmore eviction bombshell with night on the town, Aaron Carter's mom shares grisly new photos of late son's death scene, claims 'homicide', Christina Applegate attends SAG Awards 2023 as 'last awards show' amid MS battle, Hated Tom Sandoval addresses Ariana Madix split amid cheating claims, Royal flush: Harry and Meghan 'hold the upper hand' on King Charles' coronation: Source, Tom Sandoval drops out of interview amid backlash from Raquel Leviss scandal, Kayla Lemieux, Canadian teacher with size-Z prosthetic breasts, placed on paid leave. "When we got married and we came back to the hotel, he said, 'I'll be right back.' ", "I didn't care, because what was more important than my work was James. That was the first red flag for Janet, who spent many nights searching the streets for him, often as late as 8 oclock in the morning. Jackson and DeBarge were married from Sept. 7, 1984, until Nov. 18, 1985. But any wedded bliss the couple shared turned out to be short-lived. How historically accurate is "The Crown"? But it is.". I could never keep a child away from James. Jackson was 18 when she and DeBarge first hooked up. What's more, Bunny said that Tiffany was one of about 10 women who contacted her family claiming to be the secret child in what Bunny called "fame seeking.". When asked about the rumor by his daughter Kristinia, DeBarge replied that he was tired of the secrecy, adding, "I was under the impression that there was no baby, and I wanted to believe it's not true. The artist is officially putting the chatter to bed in her upcoming self-titled . Once she became famous in her own right, it was only a matter of time before she would be on the receiving end of some wild rumors. It seems no matter where Janet Jackson turns, she deals with control in some form or another. Debbie Allen, who led the TV series as Lydia Grant, remembers being taken aback by their co-stars speculation, too. Janet Jackson denies secretly having a baby with ex-husband James DeBarge. Janet Jacket gives. display: none; She confirmed it on the deathbed.". "I could never keep a child away from James. We don't know how, but Etterlene thought then 31-year-old Philadelphia native Tiffany Whyte was the daughter of James DeBarge and Janet Jackson. "Back in the day they were saying that I had a child and I kept it secret," she said. Somewhere along the way, a story came to light that Janet had gotten pregnant while starring on the hit show, Fame, and had a secret daughter tucked away no one knew about. According to a later report from Radar Online, the woman and DeBarge eventually took a paternity test that proved they weren't related after all. At the time, Jackson had a recurring role in the hit TV series "Fame," and fans paid attention to her physical appearance. She claimed that when Janet and James split up, she personally saw Janet pregnant, and that James was also aware of the alleged pregnancy. 2005 The Associated Press. The episodes revolve around the early years of the legendary performer's career, from her time as a child star and teen actor up until her first big tour following the release of "Rhythm Nation" in 1989. And I'm sitting in a hotel room in Grand Rapids, Michigan by myself, just 18 and for 3 hours he never came back. The Control singer remembers the chatter first starting to spread in 1984 on the Season 4 set of NBCs Fame, in which she played Cleo Hewitt. "Did Janet tell you about that part?" There are a lot of nights that I would go searching the streets looking for him 8 oclock in the morning, 4 oclock in the morning, said Jackson. I could never do that, thats not right." 4 min read. These days, Janet has a very different life and relationship. The 55-year-old artist addressed. Jackson herself addressed the rumors in Vibe in 2001, posted on R & Being, stating "They say the kid's in Europe or that one of my brothers or sisters is raising it. Do Not Sell My Personal Information, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window). Young DeBarge said the child, named Renee and now 18, has been living with Rebbie Jackson, Janet's oldest sister. "I wanted to be able to stand on my own feet and at that time I felt there was no other way to get my own life unless I got married," she said. Now, Kristinia. Heres what you need to know. Anyone hoping for a shocking reveal is in for a letdown though, as Jackson officially called BS on the gossip. James has spoken about their alleged love child numerous times over the years and a woman named Tiffany Whyte even appeared on "Growing Up Hip Hop" claiming to be the child in question: Speaking more about her relationship with James, Janet said the two of them used to talk on the phone a lot as kids, because one of his brothers had a thing for her sister La Toya. The two were married in 1984 when Jackson was 18 and DeBarge was 21. The second episode of her new documentary series on A&E, Janet Jackson addresses the rumor that she had a secret child with her first husband James DeBarge, saying she would never keep a child away from their father. His comments lent support to reports that have circulated for years claiming Janet has a "secret" daughter. Clearly, there were more problems in Jackson and DeBarge's marriage than just record label concern over marketability. Jackson reflects on her failed marriage to James DeBarge, their fights over his alleged drug use and persistent rumors Janet's sister raised their secret love child. So that rumor started going around., Given the turbulent nature of her marriage with James, which only lasted a year, the rumors of a secret daughter wasnt the only headline that came out of that era of Janets life. Please enter valid email address to continue. "Back in the day they were saying that I had a child and I kept it secret," she said. I could never do that. She was the youngest of ten children in the Jackson family, a working-class African-American family living in a two-bedroom house on Jackson Street. But I wasnt the help that he needed.. Jackson and DeBarge a member of his family's singing group, DeBarge, which had several hit songs in the 1980s eloped in 1984 when she was 18 years old and he was 21. But Janet maintains she never had a daughter, or any child at all with her ex James, and if she did, she wouldve never kept them from him. Jackson said that. It doesn't matter how much work you do, it's still painful.". Offers may be subject to change without notice. The singer was starring on season four of NBC's Fame . Addressing the long-standing rumor in part two of her upcoming documentary, Jackson dispelled the claim that she and James DeBarge had a child in the 80s, let alone that she would have hidden that . Janet will be available to watch on Sky Documentaries and NOW from Monday 31 January. "Her adoptive mother and on her death bed said she told her. Janet Jackson's ex-husband, singer James DeBarge, just dropped an alleged baby bombshell. Access your favorite topics in a personalized feed while you're on the go. Published on January 26, 2022 06:30 PM. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Janet Jackson denies long-standing rumors that she secretly had a baby with ex-husband James DeBarge in the 1980s in her new documentary. Janet Jackson has dismissed a long-running rumour that she had a "secret child" with her first husband, James DeBarge, during the year they were married. During part one of the documentary, Jackson revealed that her late brother Michael Jacksonused to fat-shame her, calling her a pig and slaughter hog. They separated in 1999. One of these rumors in particular follows her to this day, so she finally decides to address it in her new Lifetime documentary Janet Jackson. I mean, she was there with us all day, every day. "How could I keep a child from their father?" The two-night, four-hour "Janet" event airs Friday and Saturday night on both Lifetime and A&E. ", What Janet Jackson's Short Marriage To James DeBarge Was Like. 2023 EHM Productions, Inc. All rights reserved. Janet Jackson has dismissed a long-running rumour that she had a secret child with her first husband, James DeBarge, during the year they were married.