Deaths In Thornton Cleveleys, East Coweta High School Teachers, How Many Golden Globes Does Jim Carrey Have, Articles O

(If you're a human, don't change the following field), Solomons Prayer at the Dedication of the Temple. DEDICATION OF THE TEMPLE 231 devaluation of the temple.9 The Deuteronomist, writing after the temple's destruction, purportedly recasts the temple's significance, "For him the temple is little more than a place towards which one turns in prayer."10 Similarly, Weinfeld sees Solomon's prayer as evincing the deuteronomic demythologization of . He asks God to provide for each days need why? Solomon extols the faithfulness of God and exhorts the people to continue in the path of covenant obedience. For less than $5/mo. 31When anyone sins against his neighbor, and is forced to take (O)an oath, and comes and takes an oath before Your altar in this temple, 32then hear in heaven, and act, and judge Your servants, (P)condemning the wicked, bringing his way on his head, and justifying the righteous by giving him according to his righteousness. V. 22b Verse 54 tells us that he knelt on his knees: "when Solomon had finished praying all Gods good response to our repentance comes from His grace, not from justice. If anyone sins against his neighbor, and is forced to take an oath, and comes and takes an oath before Your altar in this temple, then hear from heaven, and act, and judge Your servants, bringing retribution on the wicked by bringing his way on his own head, and justifying the righteous by giving him according to his righteousness.. The services of the dedication will continue for three days in succession, commencing on each day at 11:00 o'clock a.m. Tickets may be had at the watch house near the . If they in captivity come to a different insight and repent, if they acknowledge their sins before God and turn to Him with all their hearts and soul, if they then pray toward this land, toward this city and toward this house, may the Lord hear them and forgive, maintain their cause, and bring them back from captivity. They dont attend church; they dont spend regular time with God in the Bible and prayer; they dont seek Gods will in all their decisions. For any web postings, please link to the sermon directly at this website. a. IV. When was the last time? When the king mentions pestilence he is referring to a very contagious disease of that day (such as the black plague of the middle ages?) 41As for the foreigner(AJ) who does not belong to your people Israel but has come from a distant land because of your name 42for they will hear(AK) of your great name and your mighty hand(AL) and your outstretched armwhen they come and pray toward this temple, 43then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. III. Israel had prospered and had been victorious under the reign of David. Then Solomon spoke: "The LORD said He would dwell in the dark cloud. O LORD God, do not turn away the face of Your Anointed; 26:16, 25, 26; Deut. (1 Kings 8:54-56). How would this be possible? Click to enable/disable Google Analytics tracking. Though only Jesus is God incarnate, the temple was a clear sign that God in all his being was committed to living among his people. (Selman), Then the king turned around and blessed the whole assembly of Israel, while all the assembly of Israel was standing. This recognized that the God of the temple could answer prayers made away from the temple. Blasting refers to the singeing of the grain by the dry hot wind blowing from the desert. The ruler is on his knees before One who is the great Ruler of the universe (2 Chronicles 6:13)! This wisdom is soon revealed when a mother comes to him with another woman, each claiming the same child as her own. i. You can also check out the Top Posts page to get a feel for the site. Study with Quizlet and memorize flashcards containing terms like Construction of the Temple was begun in the _____ year following the Exodus., In return for cedar and fir from Lebanon, Solomon gave Hiram, king of Tyre:, The Temple required _____ years for construction. The ruler of the people is going to lead the whole nation in prayer! This was made of either brass or copper and Solomon took his position on this platform. 3:23; 1 John 1:8, 10], Lev. Disobedience, Pride, Self-Deception, Rejection, The Sanctity of Human Life in the Womb - Psalm 139, Caring for Each Other in the Body of Christ, Determining the Dates for Easter and Passover, The Magic Dresser (A Poem for Mother's Day), The Fruit of the Spirit and 1 Corinthians 13, Click here for more messages from the book of. Christianity is essentially and fundamentally a sinners religion. 27But will God really dwell(G) on earth? And he said: Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, who has fulfilled with His hands what He spoke with His mouth to my father David, saying, Since the day that I brought My people out of the land of Egypt, I have chosen no city from any tribe of Israel in which to build a house, that My name might be there, nor did I choose any man to be a ruler over My people Israel. Teach(W) them the right way(X) to live, and send rain(Y) on the land you gave your people for an inheritance. He becomes acquainted with the ways of the Israelites and with their history and he also finds out about the greatness of Israel's God. Hear(N) from heaven, your dwelling place, and when you hear, forgive. 57May the Lord our God be with us as he was with our ancestors; may he never leave us nor forsake(BJ) us. Their attitude was: Nothing will happen to us because we have the temple! But God said, No! New King James Version (NKJV). Click here to return to the Sermons page. 50And forgive your people, who have sinned against you; forgive all the offenses they have committed against you, and cause their captors to show them mercy;(BA) 51for they are your people and your inheritance,(BB) whom you brought out of Egypt, out of that iron-smelting furnace. He is famous for building the First Holy Temple in Jerusalem. A couple will come to me and want me to dedicate their child to the Lord, and yet they are not living for the Lord themselves. Solomon here prays for Gods daily provision and sustenance, but he does so for a very specific purpose. Nehemiah Chapter 12. If they are taken out of their land because of their sin! How many people have you told about Jesus lately? (1 Kings 6:37-38) Of course his father, King David, had spent many years prior to that making preparations and gathering supplies. Look at verses 57-58: May the Lord our God be with us as he was with our fathers; may he never leave us nor forsake us. Love C.S. Why, or, why not? 16:7; 1 Chr. God's presence and protection (vv. The importance of wisdom goes beyond just knowledge. He prays best in public who prays most in private. And God did help them! Recalls God's dynastic promises to David through the prophet Nathan. Let us pray. Will God dwell on the earth? How ecumenical! After sacrificing a seemingly endless number of animals ( 1 Kings 8:5 ), Solomon blessed the Lord for His covenantal faithfulness (vv.12-21). As Solomon comes before the Lord with a . which revealed itself in boils. When was the last time you invited someone to go to church? 31-32). The heavens, even the highest heaven,(H) cannot contain(I) you. 2 Chron 6:12. It took seven years for King Solomon to actually build the temple. When King Solomon dedicated the temple in Jerusalem in all its glorious splendor, he stood before the altar of the Lord and prayed a very long prayer. Im so glad that we are committed to missions right here at home in Broward County and beyond. The king is here not referring to the stranger who makes his home in Israel, but to the foreigner who comes and goes. No! Behold, heaven and the (J)heaven of heavens cannot contain You. If you have any questions, please review our Privacy Policy or email us at [email protected]. (1-2) Acknowledgement of God's presence in the cloud. Let God now hear Solomon. All these prayers were offered at a time of challenge for the person praying, where the only one who could provide . If God's people only repent! The we come to Solomon's prayer of dedication of the temple. 32:11, 12; Deut. 17:6, 18; 25:21, Ezra 9:6, 7; Neh. Also when the whole people of Israel come to this place to offer their prayers, Lord hear them. 30Hear the supplication of your servant and of your people Israel when they pray(M) toward this place. We should pray for Gods continued presence and direction. If we dont appropriate in faith, Gods promise is left unclaimed. Thats the first part of Solomons prayer: thanksgiving and praise for what God has done. Look at verses 54-56: When Solomon had finished all these prayers and supplications to the Lord, he rose from before the altar of the Lord, where he had been kneeling with his hands spread out toward heaven. After many particulars, Solomon concludes with the general request, that God would hearken to his praying people. Solomon declares that he's built a house for God. To God be the glory forever! 28:21, 22, 27, 38, 42, 52, [1 Sam. a. From prior statements, such as his statement in 2 Chronicles 6:1-2, we might have thought that Solomon drifted towards a superstitious idea that God actually lived in the temple to the exclusion of other places. 27But (I)will God indeed dwell on the earth? So the king and all the Israelites dedicated the temple of the Lord. Changes will take effect once you reload the page. Due to security reasons we are not able to show or modify cookies from other domains. Not one word has failed of all the good promises(BI) he gave through his servant Moses. So that all the peoples of the earth may know that the Lord is God and that there is no other. Solomons prayer has a global focus. For this reason, many observant Jews still pray facing the direction of the site of the temple in Jerusalem. 54When Solomon had finished all these prayers and supplications to the Lord, he rose from before the altar of the Lord, where he had been kneeling with his hands spread out toward heaven. Solomon took time to contemplate the God he was praying to. Dedication of the Temple - Then Solomon said, "The LORD has said that he would dwell in thick darkness. So the king and all the people dedicated the temple of God. The first petition which Solomon utters is rather difficult to understand. (True or False) Graciously, Solomon first allowed Adonijah to go free. Give them victory! The Ark of the Covenant is brought to the temple. 24You have kept what You promised Your servant David my father; You have both spoken with Your mouth and fulfilled it with Your hand, as it is this day. b. The Ark has been brought in. When the Old Testament speaks of the "foreigner" it does not always refer to the same kind of people. We ask that he would be with us as he was with our fathers, and we pray that he may never leave nor forsake us. (v. 6) Solomon made supplication at dedication of the temple - 1 Kin 8:28-29; Jesus made supplication as He was crucified; Stephen also, as he was being stoned - Lk 23:34; Ac 7:59-60; CONCLUSION. Besides war and drought, there are various other calamities which may come upon a land. (O), 31When anyone wrongs their neighbor and is required to take an oath and they come and swear the oath(P) before your altar in this temple, 32then hear from heaven and act. It's praying until we know we have laid hold of God. Amen. Solomon mentions the fact that God has been faithful to the promise which He made to his father David. True (True or False) Because he recognized that Solomon was given the kingdom by the Lord, Adonijah gave up his ambition to be king. Then the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifices before the Lord. B. V. 20-21 A Place For Cares - As Solomon prays, he asks the Lord to here the supplications of God's people. You and the ark of Your strength. So yes, we pray for our needs as a church, and we ask God to meet those daily needs. King Solomon built a structure for God's presence to occupy in Yerushalayim (Jerusalem), but Solomon's prayer points toward God's people's being the dwelling place of God. Click on the different category headings to find out more. However, if they pray "toward," not at this place or in this place, but in their homes with their faces toward Jerusalem, may the Lord forgive the sins of the king and of the people and send rain so that they may again be able to live in the land the Lord has given them. King Solomon mentions several of them. And so I ask them: How can you stand up in front of the church and promise to raise your child in the Lord when you arent following God yourself? It is a wonderful thing to want to dedicate your child to the Lord, but God wants you to dedicate yourself to him first. Known as an ambitious builder of public works, Solomon's crowning achievement was the building of the Temple. 1:6; Ps. We gather to worship God in the beauty of his presence. 53For You separated them from among all the peoples of the earth to be Your inheritance, (AM)as You spoke by Your servant Moses, when You brought our fathers out of Egypt, O Lord God.. What is especially notable is that foreigners could know and fear God like your people Israel. This hope of equality in worship was rarely expressed in the Old Testament (e.g. I cant think of two more important requests of God for us as a church as we seek to fulfill Gods purposes in this community. Last year through some generous estate gifts and through the sacrificial giving of Gods people, we were able to pay off the mortgage twelve years early. Skilled workers were employed. When Your people go out to battle against their enemies, wherever You send them: Solomon prayed with the idea that God should answer the prayers for victory made in foreign lands towards the temple, but only when they battle as God sent them. By 1994 we had outgrown the older sanctuary, and so we began plans for a new sanctuary. At the dedication ceremony, Solomon acknowledged the feebleness of his efforts compared to an infinite God: "Will God really dwell on earth with humans? The substance is Christ; whatever we ask in his name, it shall be given us. In summary: - Solomon describes the reason for the Temple, that it was in David's heart to build it, but God decided that his son should build it instead. Solomon II. As the opening section of Solomon s prayer (14-20) is summarized in the closing words of the prayer, we will quote these in order to grasp its general outline: Jehovah, God, Thou must not turn back the face of Thine anointed. This splendid edifice is now completed, and will be dedicated to the Most High God on Friday, the 1st. In the last petition Solomon deals with the worst situation which can befall a people. It is not therefore to be wondered at that, when Solomon dedicated to the Lord the temple which he had built, his great petition was that God would hear every prayer that should be uttered in that place or toward that place. Who has fulfilled with His hands what He spoke with His mouth to my father David: Solomon recognized that the temple was the fulfillment of Gods plan, not Davids or Solomons. First we ask for Gods presence to be among us. Or lets talk about marriage for a moment. God answered this prayer of Solomon, and He forgave and restored His defeated people when they came in humble repentance. Solomon had made a bronze platform five cubits . The heathen may think that their deities will be able to help them in certain situations, but their hopes are futile. B. Solomon's prayer posture. Do we take the credit for it? He keeps His promises and shows lovingkindness. When such a person prays toward this place, may God hear him too. If there be famine, often the result of drought, or if there be pestilence, blasting or mildew, locust or caterpillar, siege by an enemy or any other plague or sickness if they repent and ask for forgiveness, may the Lord hear them. EVERYONE: We dedicate this sanctuary now to the glory of God the Father, to the honor of Jesus Christ his Son, and to the praise of the Holy Spirit. 1 Kings 8. How were the kingly and priestly offices kept separate? Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson. get answers to your Bible questions from 50+ resources ($2,400+ value! And there I have put the ark, in which is the covenant of the LORD which He made with the children of Israel.. And that is all part of this third portion of Solomons prayer here in 1 Kings 8: a prayer for Gods name to be known among the nations. 2 Chronicles 6 - Solomon's Prayer of Dedication A. Solomon blesses God. Click here for more messages from the book of 1 Kings. day of May, 1846. Can a murderer, if he repents, be saved? Stood before the altar of the LORD: Solomon did not dedicate the temple from within the temple. It's actually three prayers and what I find most interesting about them is the balance of what is said. Paul's Reference 35When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain(U) because your people have sinned(V) against you, and when they pray toward this place and give praise to your name and turn from their sin because you have afflicted them, 36then hear from heaven and forgive the sin of your servants, your people Israel. You are free to opt out any time or opt in for other cookies to get a better experience. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. (Matthew 28:19-20). And so Solomon begins with thanksgiving and praise for what God has done. And, at this point in the history of Israel, he prays that all the promises made to David may go into effect. May You hear the supplications of Your servant and of Your people Israel, when they pray toward this place: Solomon asked God to incline His ear towards the king and the people when they prayed from the temple. He adds, "for there is no man that sinneth not.". He is too great to be limited to any created place. As long as this did not slip into a superstitious misunderstanding, it was good to recognize a special place to come and meet with God. Now Solomon assembled the elders of Israel and all the heads of the tribes, the chief fathers of the children of Israel, to King Solomon in Jerusalem, that they might bring up the ark of the covenant of the LORD from the City of David, which is Zion. It is our "faith" with its own connotation. Adoration; Confession; Thanksgiving; Supplication 20:9; Eccl. Standing there at the altar, he cried out for God to have mercy on His people . 25Therefore, Lord God of Israel, now keep what You promised Your servant David my father, saying, (G)You shall not fail to have a man sit before Me on the throne of Israel, only if your sons take heed to their way, that they walk before Me as you have walked before Me. 26(H)And now I pray, O God of Israel, let Your word come true, which You have spoken to Your servant David my father. Copyright 2019 by Zondervan. We should always begin with thanksgiving and praise for what God has done. (BM) 61And may your hearts(BN) be fully committed(BO) to the Lord our God, to live by his decrees and obey his commands, as at this time.. 41Moreover, concerning a foreigner, who is not of Your people Israel, but has come from a far country for Your names sake 42(for they will hear of Your great name and Your (Z)strong hand and Your outstretched arm), when he comes and prays toward this temple, 43hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and do according to all for which the foreigner calls to You, (AA)that all peoples of the earth may know Your name and (AB)fear You, as do Your people Israel, and that they may know that this temple which I have built is called by Your name. Here they are about to dedicate this beautiful temple to the Lord and Solomon says: But may your hearts be fully committed to God. I dont know if youre familiar with the rest of the history of the Israelites and the temple, but when Gods people eventually turned away from the Lord, God took the temple away from them. (1 Kings 7:13) Only the best materials were used. David and Solomon were human instruments, but the work was Gods. But I think we all need to do a better job in personal evangelism as well. After seven years the Temple is completed and the magnificence of it is stunning. 22Then Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in front of the whole assembly of Israel, spread out his hands(B) toward heaven 23and said: Lord, the God of Israel, there is no God like(C) you in heaven above or on earth belowyou who keep your covenant of love(D) with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way. And so we pray for God to turn our hearts that we may walk in all his ways and be obedient to his commands. Now set your heart and your soul to seek the Lord your God; arise, therefore, and build the sanctuary of the Lord God, so that you may bring the ark of the covenant of the Lord and the holy vessels of God into the house that is to be built for the name of the Lord.". 17:10]; Acts 1:24, 2 Chr. This was not a blanket request for blessing on every military adventure. II. But oh my friend, do try and use Gods promises; nothing pleases God better than to see his promises put in circulation; he loves to see his children bring them up to him, and say, LORD, do as thou hast said. And let me tell you that it glorifies God to use his promises. (Spurgeon). All of the most skilled craftsmen in Israel are required for the construction. Just because God promises does not mean that we possess. It confirms that Davids disqualification was not due to sin, but because the concept of Gods rest must be regarded as the unique and final stage in building the temple. (Selman), So the LORD has fulfilled His word which He spoke, and I have filled the position of my father David, and sit on the throne of Israel, as the LORD promised; and I have built the temple for the name of the LORD God of Israel. However, before one petition is uttered he extols the greatness of the God to Whom he is praying. The Prayer of Solomon is a prayer by King Solomon described in 1 Kings 8:22-53 and 2 Chronicles 6:12-42.This prayer is said to have occurred at the dedication of the temple of Solomon, which also became known as the First Temple.The wording and thinking of the prayer have much in common with the language of Deuteronomy.. A shorter prayer of Solomon is also found in some Latin Bibles at the end . a. This prayer helps prevent us from turning inwards and from making all our decisions based on what we think is best for us. Here Solomon acknowledges Gods work for their fathers in the past, and he seeks Gods continued presence and direction for his people in the present. Because really, what good does it do to commit a temple or a sanctuary or really anything to the Lord if you are not personally committed to the Lord yourself? By Ray Fowler. (BE) 53For you singled them out from all the nations of the world to be your own inheritance,(BF) just as you declared through your servant Moses when you, Sovereign Lord, brought our ancestors out of Egypt.. Solomon faces the Temple raises his hands toward heaven and begins to pray his prayer of dedication. Even though men cannot prove the sin which has been committed by this "someone," God does know. Solomon's Prayer of Dedication | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org God cannot be confined to a particular space, but He does meet with His people in particular spaces. The holy place and Most Holy Place were only for chosen descendants of the High Priest. When we gather for worship, the Lord meets with us, and we The heavens, even the . Click to enable/disable _ga - Google Analytics Cookie. True He knows exactly who he is praying to. How much less this temple which I have built! Traffic and Tears on the Road to Jerusalem. God is able to send rain and He is able to withhold it. i. Israel did not have a Nile river which made the whole land fruitful. i. What a sight! A strong church was planted here in Plantation that has been faithful in preaching Gods word and has given millions of dollars to missions around the world. (v. 3) Solomon declares that God has kept the promise that David's son would build a temple. i. Seeing God always forgives upon His people's repentance, can this forgiveness become rather common place to us? EVERYONE: Hear the cry and the prayer that your servant is praying in your presence this day. >> When you pray with others in corporate prayer, make sure your heart, mind, and soul are echoing the words that are spoken. All rights reserved worldwide. c. There is no God in heaven or on earth like You: Solomon recognized that God was completely unique. 37When famine(Z) or plague(AA) comes to the land, or blight(AB) or mildew, locusts or grasshoppers,(AC) or when an enemy besieges them in any of their cities, whatever disaster or disease may come, 38and when a prayer or plea is made by anyone among your people Israelbeing aware of the afflictions of their own hearts, and spreading out their hands(AD) toward this temple 39then hear(AE) from heaven, your dwelling place. Jesus told his disciples: Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. He sent the Babylonians and they came and ransacked the temple and burned it to the ground. Solomon intercedes. "If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our . 2 Chronicles 2:1. This is a God who enters into communion with His people. We dedicate this sanctuary to be a house of prayer. Bible Stories - 1 Kings 8:22-66: Solomon's Prayer of DedicationThen Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in front of the whole assembly of Israel, spre. King David himself gathered the raw materials to build the temple and, evidently, God provided the building plans for that holy structure. His prayer contained nine requests: 1. Judge between your servants, condemning the guilty by bringing down on their heads what they have done, and vindicating the innocent by treating them in accordance with their innocence.(Q). He now assumes a posture in prayer of which we have not read earlier in the Biblical account. The Temple was incomparable - just like the God who it was built for. Whenever you accomplish something, you are still to give God the glory for what he has done. (AQ), 46When they sin against youfor there is no one who does not sin(AR)and you become angry with them and give them over to their enemies, who take them captive(AS) to their own lands, far away or near; 47and if they have a change of heart in the land where they are held captive, and repent and plead(AT) with you in the land of their captors and say, We have sinned, we have done wrong, we have acted wickedly;(AU) 48and if they turn back(AV) to you with all their heart(AW) and soul in the land of their enemies who took them captive, and pray(AX) to you toward the land you gave their ancestors, toward the city you have chosen and the temple(AY) I have built for your Name;(AZ) 49then from heaven, your dwelling place, hear their prayer and their plea, and uphold their cause. King Solomon's Prayer Of Dedication Outlines The Importance Of The Temple The Jewish people do not believe in the spiritual Temple which is Jesus Christ. Solomon: Begins by praising the God who keeps his promises. Solomon urges God to enter into an agreement with Israel that when the people pray to God, whether to relieve a famine, or to give them victory in combat against an approaching enemy, or to grant them forgiveness from their sins against God and against one another, that God would grant their request. (1 Kings 8:57-58). Forgiveness of sins that had brought on drought (vv. The two records of this prayer are too long to do them justice but the beauty of the prayer and the evidence of the deep spirituality of the one who is praying will become clear. It is an immense undertaking for that day to build such a building as the temple. (1-2) All of Israel assembles at Jerusalem. Now keep what You promised Your servant David. let Your word come true: Solomon called upon God to keep the promises that He made. 26:34, 44; Deut. 30:9]; Ezra 7:6; Ps. Nederlandstalige Bijbelstudies door Stan Marinussen, Copyright - Enduring Word       |      . He is here following an example clearly taught us by our Lord Jesus Christ in the perfect prayer. Solomon used the phrasing of that passage to emphasize that the ark of the covenant and the symbol of Gods presence would wander no more and had finally come to its final resting place. Does the enormity of the sin have anything to do with the possibility of forgiveness?