Star Trek Fleet Command 3 Star Survey Parts, Ymca Simpsonville, Sc Class Schedule, Articles S

I call it my short on time, big on love cake, perfect for celebrations. This cake was fantastic and was so easy to put together. Think of it as my New York Sheet Cake, intense (the impact of cocoa and unsweetened chocolate should not be underestimated), rich (butter, in all of it), tiny (one-eighth of a sheet, to be particular) and quick to make, so you can just because you want it but not have it stay long enough to cause any permanent damage. It was incredible. I find it milder (especially at the proportions suggested for a swap, usually 1T per cup if I remember correctly) and more buttery (yum) but it should work here. The cone shape one? Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I wanted to take this to the next level though so I doubled the recipe for 2 layers and then spread a layer of salted caramel in the middle and drizzled some more on top of the frosting. Thanks in advance! Wild rice, roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli and a miso-ginger-tahini dressing all piled into one bowl make this one of my favorite everyone-approved weeknight dinners -- use any kind of rice or combination of vegetables you've got; the dressing is the star. Thank you, Deb! and checking the cooking time. It turned out rather thick, but spreadable, and so delicious. your salted peanut butter cookies won me a baking competition at work last month, so I thank you for that too :-D P.S. best chocolate cake ever! Those chocolate swirls of frosting! Hello form the Corona days! Made this last night and used the sour cream chocolate frosting from your best birthday cake, I was cheap and had a little left over. This looks amazing Deb what a perfect cake! The whole house wants chocolate cake tonight! You have given me inspiration to make this chocolate cake. Even serious adults turn giddy at the sight of sprinkles, men too! I really wanted that light & fluffy frosting. Thanks for so much deliciousness! I love the size of this cake. Simply meant to say I dont have Dutch cocoa, so just used standard. Oh my I need this now! Not as moist as I thought it would be or very chocolatey. Or eaten. Im torn b/w this recipe and the Homemade Devil Dog SK recipe. Turned out great Thank you! Thank you Deb for another amazing recipe! 14 cupcakes. Hi, I used microwave chocolate mug cake when I had this craving, 5 min crave to product time. Add the egg, yolk and vanilla and beat until combined, then the buttermilk and mix again. I usually make it in an 88 square. I believe its acidic as well, which youll need when using baking soda. Thanks! So, I remade it, but I was so scared I was going to ruin it again, that I didnt whip it enough and it wasnt as creamy as its been all the other times Ive made it. I agree that a salad dressings index would be great. Should the butter quantity for the frosting be 1/2 cup or 4 oz? Now I have a recipe. Any ideas why? Give It To Me Right Now Cake. Ill put it this way: I, too, am obsessed with layer cake moisture but since I got this configured exactly the way I like it, I havent made another chocolate layer cake. (The taste test tomorrow) simple and easy to follow recipie (im addicted to your Instagram too!). Will you please advise me on this? Love the looks and sounds of this cake! Also, I have to say we had a slice last night and my husband remarked that it may even be better the second day. I`ll use a 6 inch pan and wondering how to adjust the baking time. Hello Jen, sometimes I avoid cake recipes like this that require creaming the butter and sugar, because Ive heard that its actually tough to get that step exactly right. anyway, the cake itself is delicious, tender, and easy. Youll have more icing than you need, but of course, need is relative. Space Station Mir Hilarious. I agree with Aunt Vixen. How much should I decrease the sugar if I use the semisweet chocolate I have? Made it with a plainer dark baking chocolate tonight (OK OK it was Cadburys!!) But if youve been there, youve felt this, this is for you. 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour p.s. Oh Deb, as I am now a little over 4 months pregnant, I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that our cravings are in sync. In terms of the icing, the same thing happened to me as with Erin, the icing became oily. The frosting was also too sweet for me and the kiddo, but my sister and brother-in-law didnt think so. And I have a prediction,,,you will be having a girl!! But I found it to have a slightly grainy texture. Its wonderful. Jenny I havent tried it but it might work. Thanks. Otherwise, Id recommend you invest in an oven thermometer. I couldnt figure out what Id done, but probably using an incing mixture instead of pure icing sugar, with the 70% dk choc, meant there wasnt *quite* enough sugar to soften the edge of that very bittersweet chocolate. Genius! Baby is now 3 months. Ive read that German baking powder is single-acting while U.S. baking powder is double-acting, but I wouldnt worry about it so much for this recipe. I will absolutely try this as cupcakes next time. Thank you for this simple and deliciously chocolaty recipe! It was pretty powerful at first while mixing, so I wont go by first taste ever again!). That could be the issue too much creaming. anne I think stout would work just fine. Things like humidity and elevation can even factor in. I made this last night for the office and so far Im getting rave reviews. I cooked a lot back home and im getting nervous starting my cooking adventures here! P.P.S I have the rainbow confetti sprinkles on order as I write because, well, rainbow confetti sprinkles.! I have made the recipe three times now. Youre pregnancy sounds exactly like my pregnancy. I may have made a few frosting graham sandwiches for myself along the way. Made this cake today for a belated birthday celebration (for me) and to do some Coronavirus anxiety baking therapy. to buy both & Ive almost always got the light brown kind around. Cake was good too, even though Im not a die hard chocolate lover. I finally made this cake today (despite having seen the recipe many times) after being enabled by the Cup of Jo post. Love that you include the alternatives for the liquid moisture. I should have listened to your original notes and checked it a few minutes sooner it was a tad dry, which was completely my fault. Obviously the sizes are different, but is one more chocolaty, moist, etc? Thanks for sharing! 1/2 cup (4 ounces or 115 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature Is dont worry if your batter Is uneven the understatement of the century, or is it not supposed to curdle like a putrid mess before becoming smooth? It was moist, but still firm, and tasted even better after a day or two in the fridge. @smittenkitchen smitten kitchen . Thank you for a spectacular cake. the cake was *very* thin, so i cut it in half and stacked it to create a small layer cake. Boyfriend is allergic to wheat, so I used brown rice flour (he found out two weeks ago so Im pretty new to this) and I couldnt tell the difference! Wow, made it, it came out perfect. I need chocolate cakeNOW!! Great recipe. But fresh sounds lovely too. Finally did and Im disappointed. I can already tell by how great the batter is that this cake is going to make the awful week worth it. Whisk . I baked them for 17 minutes, per the recommendation from another commenter, but they came out just the slightest bit dry. Because of you, my family eats cabbage/slaw, fritters, and more vegetarian. I made this yesterday with normal cocoa (didnt have Dutch process) and 70% dark chocolate for the frosting (didnt have unsweetened, and neither did Yes market when I went out on purpose) and it is still delish. Id like to make it as four tiered round layer cake for my daughters first birthday but unsure how to adapt the quantities in recipe. Thanks for the delicious chocolate butter cream recipe! We were supposed to grill kabobs for birthday, but a thunder storm started so we needed to change the oven temperature for the kabobs and not the cake. Deb, I love you. I guess Ill just have to give this cake a go at the next family birthday (which, thankfully, is in barely two weeks). Turns out, the 41 grams of butter I used was from the cake recipe instead of the needed 115 grams. My daughter wants cupcakes this year, how long do you recommend baking for as cupcakes? 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon table or fine sea salt Frosting 2 ounces (55 grams) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) powdered sugar (sifted if lumpy) 1/2 cup (4 ounces or 115 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature Its the best Ive ever had, hands down. Finally made this cake for my mother-in-laws birthday last weekend. Its so beautiful! Ive loved every single Smitten Kitchen recipe Ive tried, and these are no exception. Everyone raved about it. bittersweet chocolate and pear cake. will take more time than simply making the frosting right then. Confetti sprinkles: I got mine from New York Cake on 22nd Street but, of course, Amazon sells them as well. Thank you! Letting the batter sit hasnt been a problem for me. And do I need to butter the inside of each paper cupcake wrapper or should I butter the actual cupcake tin and then place the paper cupcake wrapper inside that? I had to laugh at your comment about sweet potatoes. I subbed joghurt for the buttermilk and reduced sugar to 100 g (sorry my German taste buds cant handle the original sweetness ) and used white spelt flour instead of wheat flour. I felt bonded to this woman Id never met through your cookbook. Even my pregnancy-addled, not-right-tin-having self didnt mess it up. Truly next level. Quick, easy and delicious but WHY is it in the recipe list as the I want chocolate chocolate cake? Every bit as wonderful as I imagined. HIGHLY recommend a mix of strong coffee and yogurt in place of the buttermilk, per the notes. Hi Deb, love your blog and it is my go to for everything cooking-related. I love the recipe and will have fun making this with her. Four years ago: Pina Colada Cake Would this be enough frosting for three layers? Beat it on high, scrape down the bowl, beat it some more, etc, until its mixable. The cake turned out very moist, really delicious. I cupcaked these and doubled the recipe. several times a year) and if anything, its on the sweet side. Both work, so it wont matter. Thank you! Hello, Deb. :). cannoli pound cake. I remember those strange feelings of strongly disliking (yes, they know what they did) familiar flavors and textures. YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!! This is calling my name. 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar Are you saying this is not normal? Cool slightly. So glad I didnt read the few negative comments. Im a good baker, I know how to read a recipe and I use a scale. This is one of my favourite recipes from my mom! Can I replace the dutch cocoa with natural cocoa? O.M.G. And, you know, now. Thanks so much! Make sure you use the bake setting, not the broil setting (I did that once when I was a kid!) Thanks for such a beautiful site Deb. Emily If my notes are correct from the last time I converted it, youll get 12 standard. Thanks for the birthday prompt! One of the easiest and most satisfying chocolate cake recipes ever. I tried to make this one today and it burnt to a crisp, even with my oven at the right temperature. Im not sure which area I am suppose to add the 1/2 tea of vanilla too. Hands down the best frosting Ive ever made! But still it came out nicely, pretty dense almost like a brownie which was a plus. Its so fun to make your recipes, read your stories, and learn to use my new camera while showing your creations in a different way that you have. Made this cake last night. Thanks! I think I over-baked the cake (closer to 30 min) because it was quite dry. Ha, this looks epic and just like the chocolate cake of my childhood. Theres a note under the instructions about swapping the two types of cocoa, which I hope helps. Must try! Looks yummy. thanks! To make the homemade version I used this recipe with sour cream, 1/3 cup coffee liquor, and added chocolate chips to the batter. :). This has been my kids birthday cake two years running! Probably for breakfast. Checked it at 22 minutes and then after 5 more and 5 more after that so next time Ill likely check it at 33 minutes. Ive made it in an 8-inch round pan two years in a row for my husbands birthday. I think that I would like chocolate cake better if it were significantly less sweet. Nailed it! Set aside. Looks absolutely heavenly, making it today!! I am frosting the bday cake with a double batch of the above chocolate frosting, and making the raspberry buttercream for the chocolate cake. The frosting is phenomenal. Sometimes it comes back for an afternoon but its not like it was. We were at the cabin so this was going to be a hand-mixer + $5 ikea-cake-pan-smeared-with-whole-cow-of-butter kind of a job. To make it one-bowl and ensure that they get very well mixed. The ratio of cake to frosting is the icing on the cake (SEE WHAT I DID THERE??) You really should regulate your comments. Love the frosting. they took about 18 minutes. We did not make it to the grocery store until after we were both done with work and because its COVID times our trip took two hours so I started this cake at 7. Will report back on Sunday. Anna You can replace all of the buttermilk with wine, because wine is an acidic ingredient (almost a match in ph, if I remember correctly from my research a few years ago). BTW, I often use buttermilk powder because its easier to keep on hand; it works very well. Hi, am I able to make the frosting in advance (perhaps 3 days or so) and leave in the fridge until required to frost the cake layers? They keep at room temperature, so no need to put back in the fridge unless your car will be very hot. However, just a small critique, the instructions re: eggs is very confusing and actually ended up leaving me short. Holy smokes yall. Yes. It can be a 9-inch round with no changes. I love this cake. (I still have a slice left and am having it tonight, in defiance of the only eat food that was cooked less than 24 hours ago rule.). Put all in the freezer to flash freeze and called it a night. I will report back when I try it :). What a treat for a weeknight! Scrape the bowl down well and dont worry if the batter looks uneven. Followed the recipe exactly as written. -I used regular cocoa powder and absolutely missed the Dutch cocoa powder, so go for the gold here I made this cake and it was pretty much the best cake I have ever eaten. So, 913 = 117, 99 = 81, 88 = 64, 9-inch round area = 63.6, i.e. Could also be scaled and stacked as a birthday cake. The 1/2 birthdays always sneak up on me so its nice to have an easy recipe not to mention that most are for much larger cakes this one is perfectly sized! I will admit I subbed bittersweet choc for the unsweetened because thats what I had. Or The Nothing Is Ever Going To Be Okay Again If I Dont Have Chocolate Cake Cake. Can I halve this recipe to fit a round six inch cake pan? Deb does it again!!! This cake is a delight. A couple of notes from my experience: -my batter was significantly thinner, probably in part because I just used two whole eggs (I used egg whites alone so rarely that its not even worth it to freeze them) and I used a touch more buttermilk than called for (no real reason, just poured out a little too much). This year he wants colored frosting. Two things: I havent read in awhile (not for any reason on your part, but like tv shows, I like to stock up on blog posts I love and then completely bingeI should not admit this unhealthy behaviour, but there it is) so, CONGRATULATIONS!! ), as written, with great success every time! Fortunately, after a night of mellowing in the refrigerator, the frosting was delicious today; and although the outside edges were quite, um, sturdy, the cake inside was delicious and moist, and we didnt miss the salt at all. I found your blog through Bloglovin and drew immediately from the Chocolate Cake. Youre not at a higher elevation, are you? It smells like heaven, and is exactly the kind of evening we needed. Ha! I also used to subscribe to the view that cake is just a vehicle for icingand then I made this cake. Joy Yes, it gets more moist as the days go on. Its less expensive and bakes pretty well. Every time Ivve made it, Ive been invited somewhere, including in the middle of making the frosting for this one! This is so great. The cake never fails and is always a huge hit. Cupcakes bake for 14 to 18 minutes. Dutch-process cocoa (the standard in European brands) differs from natural cocoa (what you have if your cocoa isnt labeled Dutch, or if its an American brand) in that its acidity has been neutralized to form a darker, nuttier cocoa that I prefer. The recipe is a favorite of our Editor-in-Chief, Faith Durand, who described these squares as a "solid tablet of butter and sugar." With a recommendation like that, it had to go on the list. I actually had to be super careful plating it to frost. Any suggestions for cooking times for cupcakes? (That said, I find whole wheat flour to clock in at 120 per cup, and flour is heavier than cocoa) As for how I got/checked my numbers, Hersheys cocoa clocks in at 80 per cup, King Arthur lists theirs as 85 grams, and I usually get about the same, hence the 41 grams here. The frosting came out awesome. Even if your batter is too thin and your frosting takes forever to thin to the right consistency dont lose heart. Cake notes: I didnt have buttermilk so I used 3/4 cup thinned (with water) whole milk yogurt. I was so happy when I saw this recipe as I knew due to schedules including mine Id be home and no one would be making me a cake for my birthday yesterday, so this one fit the bill! Yes, thats odd, I know, but its also good. Has anyone made the fudgy sheet cake and if so, how do you think it compares? Thanks for sharing! Do you have a recommendation for a less sweet chocolate frosting? Or should I just give in and go to the store? Jennie. Two notes: I baked the cake for 27 min and it was a teeny bit dry watch carefully as it gets close to being done.