Companies Looking To Sponsor Football Teams Uk, Novavax Covid Vaccine Approval Date, Articles S

Can you tell me if Synology can do this? If you look at compatibility lists for the newest models, some of them mostly or exclusively list Synologys own drive models, which I am guessing are just rebadged drives of another make with maybe a minor firmware tweak. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Synology VideoStation Movie & TV Folder Naming Conventions. Does that make sense? For example, DS for DiskStation, their desktop product, or RS for RackStation, their rackmount solution. Also while we are on the topic of RAM, increasing your RAM is the easiest way to increase the performance of your NAS. The normal ones (no letter) are basic all rounders, good for home file use and will do some basic transcoding, but nothing to performance heavy. My statement above used to be true almost exclusively. There is no other option. The price gap between Value and J is usually quite small and the expansion capabilities of the Value series will always trump the J series. However, its always worth doing the maths a special offer on a separate hard disk might save you some cash; and fitting a hard disk in a Synology NAS takes no time at all. I would download one of the myriad movie merge applications available online and merge them, tidies things up a bit too. My server is Windows Server 2022 with 12 core Xeon CPU and 24GB RAM. What Is a Naming Convention? Just didnt want to scare anyone away from RAID 1, its perfect for someone using an entry level Synology with 2 bays that is upgrading from an external USB hard drive. You can keep using them. I am considering the DS1621+ as well, however tossing between this and DS1520+ due to lack of hardware transcoding in the DS1622+ due to the processor. That said, leave the server alone during this process. But Synology servers are entirely different from WD, for a good reason. Will run several processor intensive packages at the same time without too much of a performance loss. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Because two DX517 expansion units can be connected to it, each of which have 5 drive bays themselves. The most favourable brand seemed to be Synology so I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase one. This works fine for me have you enabled the video info plugin? You get little in terms of hardware for your hard-earned dough. There are three parts to the names, the leading letters, the numbers, and the ending letter(s)/characters. Looking for on-site storage for your home or SMB? So, in the end, the most annoying thing about Synology NAS is the cost. When I look at a server, say the DS920+, I know it has 5 bays. The unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts. Simple click on the movie or TV episode, click the ellipsis icon in the top right hand corner, then click 'Edit video info' from the drop down menu, click the Poster tab and then provide a URL or location to the video cover you wish to use instead. Already a member? In any case, dont use NVMe cache it wont help in most cases. Synology sometimes upgrades a NAS with a faster processor and more RAM, but without changing the model number. Synology tends to change this each year with its range refresh, so in the past few years weve had DS212, DS213, DS214 and DS215, for example. Ill be looking to run my 4K media contents on an Apple TV 4K with this NAS, hoping it would work. My major concern when opting to use software vs hardware RAID is reliability of consumer grade HW RAID controllers. Anything Im missing? hi Dong, . On this front, heres Synologys official statement: [] We are steering away from transcoding on the NAS and do not have any current plans to include GPUs for transcoding purposes in the near future. Per Synology's naming convention, the xs+ signifies this is a high-end desktop server designed specifically for business users. Hi Mitchell, Thanks for this, all good suggestions. Should we use Cloud Station, should we check and replace disks if necessary and build a fresh shr volume? Start from the routers end. The Play has a dedicated transcoding chip as you mentioned, it works with DS Video, but the Plex package does not take advantage of it. If you want a recommended naming scheme and examples take a look TRaSH's Recommended Naming Schemes . I generally use WD Red and Seagate IronWolf HDDs, Andy. DS for DiskStation, RS for RackStation. Still, for home users, it remains one of many things that make Synology NAS great today. I'm not the original creator of that TV Show data, however. are literally 3-4 pages long, and there is also a view of this video. Why are we talking about drive bays instead of hard drives? Specifically, a server running a 32-bit CPU, including most standard and low-tier servers, has a volume limit of 16TB. But in this case, the accessories can be pretty expensive. This whole affair has taught me to have multiple backups of everything thankfully even though this morning it is now saying there is yet another volume error/failure, files are still accessible AND I was able to copy the files in the volume to C2 backup via hyperbackup. You don't want to wake up one morning and find out that one of your hard drives failed and now you've lost all the photos of your child's first year. That said, you need to learn how to use them from scratch. Ive tried to put each story in a separate folder - within a folder called time slip, ive tried the original file naming convention (S01 . By the way, make sure you use one of its built-in LAN ports for this part. RAID 1 of two hard drives can be quite slow. Ideal for business situations where performance is key. And heres how to do it: physically remove the internal drives from the old server and install them into the new server, preferably in the same order. Thank you for all the great reviews. On the other hand, the Snapshot portion is a must-use. I generally use WD Red or Seagate IronWolf, Marco. Once integrated, you can manage NASs resources based on the settings of the domain server. Whats cool is that you can manage your download remotely via the DS Get mobile app. Explaining a RAID in words is nigh impossible so if you'd like to learn more I highly recommend this video by NASCompares. If you really want to have the best, Id go with a 4-bay or 5-bay version, such as the D923+ or DS1522+, and use multiple drives in a RAID 5 (or SHR equivalent) and a 10Gbps upgrade. That vulnerability had been patched a long time before it was an issue. I assume the 9 means that it starts with 5 and can add on a 4 bay expansion to get to the 9 in the name. For more, check out my full review of the Surveillance Station. So, 5-bay is the sweet spot. It must follow the form {edition- [Edition Name]} . Ill be honest though my recommendation isnt to make the filenames good for people to view (e.g. Select Network Settings from Control panel. Accessing the server directly means you wont need to store data on the computer, which is great if you want to share the same data with others in the network or your computer has limited space. So yes thats the case. 3. Synology DSM7 NAS PLEX DRIVER FIX - H.256 10bit PERFORMANCE (2022). If the NAS could function as a Time Machine(s) for incremental backups that would be fantastic. Sometimes different seasons are set up as separate instances of the show, sometimes even different episodes show up separately. All Synology NAS servers run a Linux-based operating system called DiskStation Manager (DSM), of which the latest 7th revision came out in July 2021. is there something like S01.EX##? If you're reading this article you probably want the most straight forward answer so here it is, buy Seagate IronWolf hard drives. Now, you know my answer. So far the only one that works best is WD. A file or folder name on Synology NAS is displayed as something like 12HWA0~8 when accessed from a client computer via SMB. Furthermore, generally, Synology servers require Synology-approved hardware RAM, network cards, hard drives, SSDs, etc. Plex does this and provides an alphabetized column of the alphabet to facilitate searches for movie titles starting with a particular letter. The following are a handful of popular apps, any one of which alone is enough to justify the cost of a server. By the way, if you know what youre doing, they are also excellent for media streaming. We have 5 Synology Servers, all four bay or more and they are so close to perfect it is incredible. Bob is a Founder of Seguro Ltd, a full time father and husband, part-time tinkerer-with-wires, coder, Muay Thai practitioner, builder and cook. Log in to the web user interface and customize your server the way you want. Lot's of people keep asking if they can buy me a beer or a coffee for helping so here's my PayPal. But, no negative about how back in the day thousands of Synology NAS got hacked with Synolocker ransomware. Supports limiting transfer rates of DSM services used by domain/LDAP users and groups. which is also a lot more expensive than generic hardware from other vendors. It opens up the hardware to endless possibilities. Do you happen to have any checklist or recommendation on how to configure the Synology DS1019+ with an ASUS RT-AX89X. My original plan was to expand volumes across the two units and switch from SHR to SHR2, but now I am reading a lot about spanning volumes across two units being a bad idea. If someone is using a NAS with a 100BT Switch, I encourage them to consider spending $29 to go buy a 1GBit Switch . When working with it, you can open and rearrange multiple windows, log in, log out as different users, etc., all with transitional effects. Domain client. File and Directory Names . This works for models such as the DS116 (one drive bay) and DS216 and DS416 but youll occasionally come across a model that doesnt fit this format the DS1515, for example, has five bays. DX/RX for Disk/Rack Expansion. I absolutely love my Synology NAS (DS920+ w/ DX517 filled running SHR-2). Is it known how Videostation parses file names when assigning them to shows? Movies are by far the easiest filename to format because they are generally a single file. Oh you don't like Seagate for some arbitrary reason? Other times shows with a title (in the file name) similar to some TV series shows up as that series. Going back to the car analogy, the J series would be no different than buying a baseline Toyota Corolla. Oh wait, let's throw on the tinfoil hat for a moment. OK in the long run for disk head its probably better to not be parking the head too much. Actually Ive read this post twice and several more of your Synology posts. After that, download and install the Synology Drive Client desktop app on your computer. Welcome to NASCompares YouTube channel! Including a server package and client apps, Synology Drive turns the NAS into a personal cloud server, like Dropbox, but much better. I have not yet had success in retrieving metadata. Then I am not sure how much storage it will give me. I have one more question, that may not be related to your post, I have 2 Synology NAS (DS710+ and DS1518+). This is accomplished easily with MakeMKV and using the following steps: Place the Blu-ray disc in the reader, and then open MakeMKV. How can it support 18 hard drives then? Naming guidelines for movies and TV episodes are as below: Movie - It should follow the format: Movie name (Release year).ext. RAID rebuilding is stressful, and the process might push old drives to fail. naming-authority is the reverse syntax of the Internet domain name of the naming authority. If you need to rename many files at once, Ihighly recommend using the free tool called Bulk Rename Utility available to download from here:http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php. Synology's product line is absolutely massive. Generally, each drive bay can handle an internal hard drive of whatever max capacity that is available. Every Synology NAS follows the same naming convention: But I'm not even sure that explanation is clear enough so let's break down some examples. The router acts as wireless node of XT8 (wired LAN is not an option in some rooms ). TV Show - It should follow the format: TV show name.SXX.EYY.ext. My servers play an essential role in my daily life and outdo my mobile phone in importance because of their apps. I manage 6 Synology NAS and have had much better durability and less instance of bad sectors with Exos. And yes, if you have a 2-bay server, RAID 1 is a must as I explained in the SHR section. In any case, AMD is the new Synology way for the foreseeable future. Then from within Network you will see the field Server Name. What Id like to know from someone who has used a Synology NAS and many of the apps is whether a 2 bay system that can only do RAID 1 has any limitations beyond the limitations of RAID 1 itself? I am moderately tech savvy just enough to screw things up and mostly savvy enough not to lose shit. And I agree. Hi Dong: If you are reading this article there is no way you will want to get 1 or 2 drive bays. If all I want is redundant storage for files like photos, videos etc, no stream of anything, just a place to backup critical files my wife and I dont want to lose that data, would an SE be perfectly fine or should I spend to get more? You can even use On-demand Sync on a client to save storage space. In simple terms, a naming convention refers to a framework used for naming your files in a specific way. Hi Mike, I think users are supposed to keep their servers updated. Plus series is the more powerful one with Intel CPUs and more RAM. I was impressed. I would recommend changing the recommendation a little: 1. put season and episode before the title of the episode. Also, in the later model years the RAM is error correction code (ECC) memory. Additional information can be found here: https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutorial/How_to_apply_for_a_personal_API_key_to_get_video_info. There are just too many apps. There are numerous Video Station threads on dropped and missing codecs which have been ignored. Once turned on, users can use the phone or an app as a verification key for added security. However, the companys range is huge, which makes picking the correct NAS for your needs a little tricky. I've updated a show and added the episodes to it since it was empty and some more info so that my Synology Video Station can fetch it. in certain cases failure of HW RAID controller may render even RAID 1 disks unusable. For those needing a dozen cams or so, the cost can add up fast. Specifications. How do I make the first Doc West movie have the correct information? Yes, totally, Mark. Another cool thing about using Synology NAS servers is that you can quickly migrate from one server to another without losing data or system settings. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Also, the disconnection issue might have nothing with the NAS Router connection. Take your estimate of how much storage you think you'll need and increase it by at least 50%. Curious if others are experiencing this issue. In your discussion of the available apps I did not see mention of a good encryption app. I have QNAP based and they try and do to much. Learn how your comment data is processed. I found a post with the following file naming conventions given: Filenames A Movie Title.mpg A Movie Title YYYY.mpg Title s01e01.mpg Youll have another 3 or five years before you have to think about replacing them. The DS1019+ should be on your short list, especially if want to use it as a Plex or other video server within the environment. MakeMKV will read the specified drive and display information about the Blu . I was thinking about buying Synology NAS, but ended up building one myself. However, in recent years some of the DS2xx and DS4xx can actually use a single expansion unit, meaning that the first number is not accurate in the number of total bays. Not sure if the J support it, but generally, using the NAS is a great way to keep your data safe from ransomware/virus via the Backup and Replicator app which shadow-copies your data. However, since AMD CPUs dont include a graphics processing unit (GPU), the new servers are less suitable for native video transcoding. However, each Synology server includes just two camera licenses out of the box that cant be moved from one server to another. For example, the iscsi.vmware.com naming authority can have the iSCSI qualified name form of iqn.1998-01.com.vmware.iscsi. Synology servers work with all standard SATA drives on the market, including the. Download Station is the best way to download anything from any source. The following are acceptable file naming conventions, I have emboldened my recommended format: Movie Title (1981).avi Movie Title.avi Movie Title 1981.avi. But dont take my word for it. Looks like you have exactly the setup I am about to have (DS920+ w/ DX517). According to networking standards, 10GB Eth is only backwards compatible to 1GB Eth. RAID 1 is definitely about data survival and not performance. Synology DiskStation DS220+ will be weak, I guess. will not work. Do you want to spend more money on features that you'll probably never use but can feel good that you have? Examples are content streaming, surveillance apps, photo sharing, downloading, etc. I dont envision storage capacity issues, so the 923+ should be enough. Founded in 2004, Trusted Reviews exists to give our readers thorough, unbiased Click Add, upload a ".zip" or ".tar" file from your computer, and name it. With heavy use of the ip camera recording. Provided you apply the recommended naming conventions ( TV, movies ), Plex is usually good at auto-matching and fetching the right metadata, especially since the new movie scanner and agent were introduced with PMS 1.20. Indeed, I used to have servers from different vendors WD, QNAP, Netgear, Lacie, Asus, and TerraMaster, to name a few. We got degraded volume warnings it seems one of the three disks fell out of the volume. All you need to do is register a unique name. In reality those hard drives are actually more likely to fail and harm you data because NVMe drives are usually not built to be written and read to that often. Learn more. You can run many downloads simultaneously and queue an unlimited amount of downloads. In this article, were going to cover only the kind of desktop NAS youd use in your home or a small office, rather than anything that requires a server rack. Buy Western Digital Red Plus hard drives. We can finally make use of Synology's RAID calculator tool to help us visualize this. Ive worked on most Synology home and SMB servers, starting with the first servers released over a decade ago. The only shows on that page I actually have are Buffy, Angel, The Mechanical Universe, The Mandalorian, and Invader Zim. The server houses five drives and can host two 5-bay expansion units. An excellent article and well written. Hey Dong, love your site. All Synology servers released in the past few years share a similar design. You can also set up the NAS as a VPN, DNS, and DHCP server. Each unsupported character is replaced by an underscore. Thank you very much for your information. Still, running Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system, it shares the Plus notion of non-xs . And you can also set the max download speed to ensure the server doesnt hog all the Internet bandwidth and many other settings options. You can support the site directly via donations or subscriptions. Thank you! Things become more clever as you move up to a four-bay NAS or larger. Yet, it costs just about half the price ( $150 vs $300.). Or is it something else? A very important point I want to make is that being low on this list does not mean bad. As always I really appreciate your engagement with your readers and your expertise youre willing to share. Of all the mesh brands, QNAP is the most similar to Synology, with much better hardware specs at the same price point. Why cant both be built in and let me have the card slot for something to expand to rather than just getting me part way to table stakes? They were fun and educational but at some point, I gave up. No doubt it is a well explained review about NAS server but my point here is that why someone prefer nas server on nas appliance. The number of drive bays spans the entire game of series. The naming of your TV Show folder is critical to ensure the scrapers can correctly identify the TV Show and its episodes.. TV Show Name (Year) - This is the correct naming format for the TV Show folder The TV Show folders are saved inside the Source folder; Adding the (Year) makes scraping more accurate and differentiates between . I dont see this in Synology Video Station. Would the 923+ and 1522+ be about the same except for capacity (Figure I would eventually upgrade memory, so Im not worried about the difference in out-of-box memory)? From Control Panel, select Network. That said, I now need to get that QNAP up on eBay. So if we go forward setting up a fresh SHR with new hdds on the existing, recently purchased 420j, will I be correct that a safe way to move is to run a full hyperbackup to C2 and set it to run everynight to update files that have changed AND also get her to start saving files also to the external HDD I am adding to our setup? The D is for a standalone "desk top" model and the R is for a rack mountable model. That was likely caused by your adblocker, Gary. Weakened CPUs, soldered memory, case design, etc. I do know that the play versions have a hardware chip for transcoding video on the fly when using the DS Video app on your Synology box for streaming media to your other devices. Alternatively, Synology NAS also supports Plex and other streaming platforms. Many Synology NAS applications have their own mobile versions. Cookie Notice Reconfigured everything..set up the LA on the Synology side to the 2nd option 802.3ad Dynamic LA. Once youve had that, its hard to turn back. DNS is hierarchical by design, so taking advantage of that will provide us with some benefits later on. Back here at the office we use a 7 year old 12 Bay XS series Synology server with a 12 Bay add on chassis. Theres also a +II model, the DS216+II, which is identical to the DS216+ but has a newer processor, as Intel discontinued the old chip. As for the RAID, check out this portion of the post. In these cases, Synology adds a + suffix. eMLC (enterprise MLC) sustains up to10,000 write cycles, and can reach 35,000 cycles on 3D NAND TLC: Triple-level cells (3-bit) NAND flash is low at 300-1000 write cycles, and can achieve 1500-3000 write cycles with 3D NAND Tomorrow I will also back everything onto a external 4TB drive. That listing for Buffy that has a movie poster only shows two seasons within. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. Now I only keep about a couple of dozen from Synology in my fleet. There are options to have both with Synology right now but youll have to pay for their enterprise servers which are a lot more expensive. The software is the Synology superpower even if the hardware is just meh. The benefit of this naming scheme is to prevent download loops which can occur on import when there is a discrepancy in the release title compared to the contents of the file itself (for example, if the release title says DTS-ES but the contents are actually DTS). Also love the built in NVMe slots. There are more than 30 models listed on the companys website, with cryptic names such as RS3617xs+ and DS216+II. Also, if you use two drives, you might want to use two SSDs since you will need to use them in RAID 1 (or SHR equivalent). Fictional beverages. Like all things, Synology NAS servers are not perfect. I have link aggregation successfully configured on them and it uses the Lan1/Lan2 ports on router and shows as Bonded in the DSM. It just finished. Though all that might be cost-prohibitive. You can turn on this feature for all the user accounts on the server, and each account will have its own private sync/backup space. Subscribe! A one-bay NAS is useful for sharing files around your home, but it shouldnt be your only backup if the disk becomes corrupt, youll lose everything. How do you Label episode extras and by that i mean there was an episode video but there was a interview video on the Episode. As mentioned above, there are more than 100 official apps. QNAP is just way behind (or just lost) in terms of software. Over the years I tried various ones and the parser would do a poor job of correctly identifying the episode but my recommendation worked. https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/VideoStation/category. You need to add the Episode Title by yourself. Just to confirm, there is just one type of LA right? The most reductive way to describe a RAID would be that it allows you to combine multiple hard drives into a bigger one that provides protection for your data if one of those hard drives fails. 9 mo. Synology has quietly added support for M.2 SSD volumes. That is the concept of a RAID. Funny part is that using XT8 as wireless node is less reliable than using AX92U. Video Type: Select which type of videos you want to put in the folder. Both XT8s are using wired backhaul and 42095 FW. Plex naming convention is also quite important. When fitted with three or more disks, a Synology NAS will be able to tolerate one disk failing without the loss of any data and all you sacrifice is the capacity of a single hard disk. This is a huge deal, as Synology previously allowed these slotted SSD drives for cache purposes only, limiting their utility. According to the formula, the best file name is "Avatar 2009.avi". doing the minimal acceptable to move its products. The former wont require an adapter, not even screws in newer servers. Relative Paths Maximum Path Length Limitation Namespaces Win32 File Namespaces Win32 Device Namespaces NT Namespaces Related topics To learn about configuring Windows 10 to support long file paths, see Maximum Path Length Limitation. So wheres a prospective buyer to start? Pick the detected server and follow the wizard to install the DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system directly from Synologys website and finish with the initial setup process. So, if you get a new server today, you can safely expect it to last a decade. See our take inside. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. And do the add on expansions follow the same rules? Its straightforward to set up any Synology NAS box. Maybe a period or an underscore. You have to set the same type of LA on both ends, Raghu. And considering you likely will enjoy it every day, at times even unknowingly, however much you pay today is a fair price. 1. Before getting a Synology, you should remember some possibly unpleasant items below. Starting with DSM 7, all Synology NAS servers have the option of a 2-Factor Authentication login, which you can enforce on individual accounts or a user group. So let's take my criteria, desktop form factor with 8 drive bays, and plug it into Synology's product list I get three models: DS1817, DS1819+, DS1821+. In recent years you have to enable the video info plugin, go to the information provider and register an account, get an API key and then add that key to your MediaStation setup.