Princess Anne And Diana Relationship, Coca Cola Celebrity Endorsements 2021, Articles W

Even during the MSNBC town hall today, there were teachers who say I don't care about tenure. Webwaiting for superman full transcriptred gomphrena globosa magical properties 27 februari, 2023 / i beer fermentation stages / av / i beer fermentation stages / av They have to go see this movie and have smaller conversations like this. She was assigned in January. The lottery in this movie is a metaphor. SCARBOROUGH: It was about education. BRZEZINSKI: And the reaction that we saw just moments ago was the same, these are people who know. GUGGENHEIM: Absolutely. BRZEZINSKI: Youre outnumbered. Wouldn't that have been better? KENNY: Right. PG. SCARBOROUGH: They can't. One of the most disheartening moments of the movie for me is when you were driving away from the meeting, your meeting, with the teachers, and it just showed your face. /Resources << It's about those kids. SCARBOROUGH: If you're going to lock kids in Harlem out of that process and let a few see the light and see the -- that seems to me to be immoral. Joe and I saw the movie a few days ago and we literally walked up Broadway, I think it was, in complete silence, both feeling very twisted and angry about what we had seen. BRZEZINSKI: If you leave Washington, D.C. are you going to Newark? They do allow us to figure out what's working and we should replicate it and what's not and we should close those charter schools that arent working so that we actually develop a science in our business about what works in what kinds of environments and in what kinds of communities. The film shows how the audience members, filled with prospective students and their families, all sit with apprehensive looks on their faces as they anxiously listen to the names and numbers of the children who are called and are therefore accepted into the charter school by luck of the draw. SCARBOROUGH: Right. Were going to talk to in a second and thats where Jeff Zucker told me I needed to go. GUGGENHEIM: When the media asked me to make the film, I originally said no. WebFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. When they hear this back and forth, there's the sense of like, you know what, put my head in the sand, take care of my own kids because this debate has been going on for generations. You say no one wants lousy teachers but there are a lot of really lousy teachers who are protected by this current system. /Type /Page The filmmakers made sure to film how Nakia becomes increasingly more anxious and concerned as time passes during the lottery, but fewer spots become available and her daughters name has not been called (Guggenheim 1:32:49). We've been talking about the teacher town hall hosted by Brian Williams earlier today. RANDI WEINGARTEN, PRES., AMERICAN FEDERATION OF TEACHERS: Sure. << /BleedBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] The superintendent wants her to say. And that means get involved. That's not the case with all charter schools across America. Take a look. BRZEZINSKI: Ill tell you right now, Randi, I want to know after the break why we can't use pay to inspire teachers. If I want something for her and I cant get it from there, I'm going to find an alternative. Mika and I want to welcome you to this special hour. "[10] Joe Morgenstern, writing for The Wall Street Journal, gave the film a positive review writing, "when the future of public education is being debated with unprecedented intensity," the film "makes an invaluable addition to the debate. [16], The film has also garnered praise from a number of conservative critics. /BleedBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] There are a couple of things leaders, in which we all are, could do. By showing its audience that even charter schools close their doors to some students, which them forces these students to attendfailing public schools, the video illustrates howthere are still flaws to the American public school system and challenges that need to be addressed. But when I saw you after the film, and I would -- being macho, hey, Davis, how you doing, man? So the question is, what's New York City doing right? I actually don't -- I think we could continue one city at a time. Final words with our panel, next after a short break. Thank you for joining us. I said that's right, but that was mommy's choice to put you in that school. What's amazing about these tears, I knew about the film for months and just knowing the system, I knew how it was going to end. You get to the nation's capital, the nation's capital, only 16 percent of students are proficient in math. WEINGARTEN: Michelle and I may disagree on the particulars of this, but there are about 50 or 60 districts that are using the proposal that we made and ultimately we think if we do that, if we fix teacher evaluations so it's about teacher development and evaluation, we can fix this problem. So we're going to differentiate and we're going to recognize and reward the highest performing teachers and we're going to look at the lowest performing teachers and we're going to remove them from the system. KENNY: We catch them up to basic level and we accelerate them to proficient. 4,789 Views. SCARBOROUGH: Thank you so much. /Contents 33 0 R Geoffrey Canada: I was like what do you mean he's not real. CANADA: Look, no business in America would be in existence if it ran like this. What have you learned as somebody who isn't a professional educator on what we need to do? Guggenheim, Davis. When you put a face on this issue, as we talk about the details of it, that's the thing I keep saying to myself, let's not forget as we argue and discuss and learn about this, let's not forget the kids. >> It looks like we don't have any synopsis for this title yet. Thank you so much for doing this and also sharing your story in the movie. SCARBOROUGH: It really is. They were the right things for kids but they made the adults incredibly uncomfortable. "[22] Anderson also opined that the animation clips were overused. You don't have all sorts of external rules. endobj CANADA: Sure. /Font << We can't achieve equality or humanity and justice for everybody if we can't make sure that every kid gets a good education. We have to go to break. /Resources << CANADA: This is why I think this is such an important movie. SCARBOROUGH: How do we do it, Geoffrey? Ht6R*bs7n& These students range in I knew -- as Davis said, I knew what was going to happen before she knew what was going to happen. RHEE: You wake up every morning and you know that 46,000 kids are counting on you. It starts with teachers becoming the very best, leaders removing the barriers of change, neighbors committed to their school, you willing to act (Guggenheim 1:45:05-1:45:28). But as long as we try to pretend that all teachers are the same, and that there are not great teachers and not so great teachers, then we are never going to be able to solve the problems. endobj Because we do understand if we're going to fix this problem, we're going to have to figure out how to get you guys together and make this work. DEBORAH KENNY, HARLEM VILLAGE ACADEMY: Well its what we're doing and a lot of the schools around the country are doing when they're given the freedom, which is what the charter gives you to accomplish these results. SCARBOROUGH: Welcome back to our education nation special on "Waiting For Superman." The issue is we have to all do this together with good contracts, with all of us on the same side, getting to help good teachers, getting supportive principals, getting a curriculum and the wrap-around services that Geoff does that cradle to college service. SCARBOROUGH: You mean against -- RHEE: Against Fenty, my boss. Educational reception and allegations of inaccuracy. One of the saddest days of my life was when my mother told me Superman did not exist, the BRZEZINSKI: These are compelling arguments that we all can agree on but, Randi, let me just put it to you this way. Filmmaker Davis Guggenheim reminds us that education "statistics" have names: Anthony, Francisco, Bianca, Daisy, and Emily, whose stories make up the engrossing foundation of WAITING FOR SUPERMAN. SCARBOROUGH: Okay. Come on out. BRZEZINSKI: Welcome back. >> Some of us have spent our lives working on behalf of children and teachers who teach children. Waiting For "Superman" is an inside look at the problems with education in America. 4 0 obj I just heard a story, I met a teacher the other day. >> According to Waiting for Superman, from 1971 to today, America has gone from spending an average of $4,300 per student to $9,000 per student, (adjusting for inflation). UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: The space with the Xs is for all of the fifth grade students moving into the sixth grade for next year. /Resources << One of them is Nakia. Waiting for Superman, a documentary about the mediocre public school system in the U.S., uses both techniques to great effect. I think sometimes there's a disconnect between them. We increased student achievement levels. /Pages 1 0 R How do we spread that from Harlem across America? We even tolerate mediocre teachers. /MC0 34 0 R "[9] Scott Bowles of USA Today lauded the film for its focus on the students: "it's hard to deny the power of Guggenheim's lingering shots on these children. The bottom line is, you cannot say that you support removing ineffective teachers when then I fire ineffective teachers and you slap me with lawsuits and you slap me with the grievances. Will they give him a million dollars for re-election if he keeps you in your position? SCARBOROUGH: I tell you what, that was the part of the movie where Daisy, you saw her crossing her fingers and write physically got nauseated. BRZEZINSKI: What was wrong with what she was doing? SCARBOROUGH: You also told me that there was a split in the civil rights community, that older members of the civil rights community sometimes fought younger members of the civil rights community who were reformers. /Parent 1 0 R >> We should let Randi respond. And what we're finding in some schools we should spread throughout all the schools in this nation. It was not simply about education. A good education, therefore, is not ruled out by poverty, uneducated parents or crime and drug-infested neighborhoods. << The film criticizes the American public education system by following several students as they strive to be accepted into competitive charter schools such as KIPP LA Schools, Harlem Success Academy and Summit Preparatory Charter High School. UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You see the cages up here. WEINGARTEN: We need to help them do that for all of our kids. /Parent 1 0 R /T1_0 24 0 R American schools face frequent budget cuts, but its not all about the money. Waiting for Superman. [4][5][6] On Rotten Tomatoes the film has a "Certified Fresh" approval rating of 90% based on reviews from 118 critics. E]D[JWlwH{,j73?Mazd. Seventy-eight percent of them, this is not our survey, this was their survey, said a union was absolutely essential to them to try and stop school politics or principal abuses. Waiting for "Superman" premiered in the US on September 24, 2010, in theaters in New York and Los Angeles, with a rolling wider release that began on October 1, 2010. There's a complete and utter lack of accountability for the job that we're supposed to be doing, which is producing results for kids. /GS1 17 0 R >> These are your schools, your communities. They clearly illustrate that no matter the area, teachers are failing America's youth at an alarming rate.. It's not sexy to vote in the midterms but it matters who, you know -- BRZEZINSKI: Oh, yes it is. "[30], Diane Ravitch, Research Professor of Education at New York University and a nonresident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, similarly criticizes the film's lack of accuracy. Ravitch says that a study by Stanford University economist Margaret Raymond of 5000 charter schools found that only 17% are superior in math test performance to a matched public school, and many perform badly, casting doubt on the film's claim that privately managed charter schools are the solution to bad public schools. In this incredible movie, "Waiting For Superman," Davis Guggenheim introduces to us some of the heroic parents who struggle to provide a better future for their children. DAISY: I want to be a nurse. DAISY: I want to go to a medical college or a veterinarian college because I really want to become a surgeon. Geoffrey, let me ask you this question. BRZEZINSKI: How old is she? That means in the midterms. Documentary. And when you say that, people say you're attacking teachers. RHEE: We wanted to give the teachers the tools. I think that we've all I mean Davis said it when he said he passed three public schools. SCARBOROUGH: Why are you going to get fired? People couldn't believe you could do it. Why not? RHEE: I'm just wondering, if the AFT was putting a million dollars into mayoral campaigns all across the country just based on who the teachers liked, I would buy that argument. Connecticut and Hartford education policy resources, Creating a Dual-Language Magnet School for Hartford Region, Sources on Trinity student protests since 2007, Jack Dougherty and Trinity College Educ 300 students, Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, An Uncommon Critique: How A Charter Networks Success Safeguards Student Experiences, The Evolution of Gender Inequality At Trinity College: A Study Through Different Publications, Higher Education for Dreamers After the Failed DREAM Act. GUGGENHEIM: And the stakes for them. >> Waiting For Superman may refer to: Waiting for "Superman", a 2010 documentary. These high-performing charters are going in and they're reaching every kid and they're sending 90 percent of their kids to college. I think they put the money into this mayoral campaign because it was a symbol of reform in this country. >> WEINGARTEN: Im just -- that's why there was a cap from the early -- SCARBOROUGH: We have a lot of people that want get involved here. You don't come off well in this movie. This isn't some Hollywood drama or a romance flick. >> I think he actually wants to do the right thing. We decreased violent crimes that were happening in the schools. endobj This film follows five children and documents them to see what their lives and schools are like. Eighth graders at Kipp L.A. Prep get triple the classroom time in math and science. I think we all need to take more responsibility. /GS0 47 0 R Charter schools are public schools, public dollars, public school children and to talk about them as if they are not public schools, I think does a disservice to that movement. Explain to me how that is good for children. WEINGARTEN: Theres nothing wrong with what Geoffrey just said. The good guys/heroes are low-income American parents, hoping to provide a good education for their children. I want the system to be better. We can't have our school system running like this. BRZEZINSKI: All right. SCARBOROUGH: Why would you spend a million dollars to defeat a mayor? Davis, god bless you. SCARBOROUGH: What we hear, Randi, morning after morning after morning from progressives, from conservatives, from Republicans, from Democrats, from independents, seems to be the same thing. He wrote "Shine," the theme song for "Waiting For Superman." SCARBOROUGH: Hes like Chuck Yager of the classroom. WebShop for waiting for superman documentary transcript filetype:lua at Best Buy. Web2010. /BleedBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] Why is that? And Im not going to pretend that you can just come in and snap your fingers and things are going to get better overnight. When I see from my own experience as a school teach are for six years when evaluations didn't work and less than 20 percent of them think that evaluations work right now.