gatti's is still in clear lake, i prefer cici's or double daves for the buffet though. Published on January 4, 2022. They talked-up every dish, which in reality sometimes we found lacking. Never ate there, but if nothing else they should have saved the giant shrimp with six-shooters! Houston Nightspots 1980-1986. Founded in 1925 by my grandfather, Robert Leon, and his brother Joe as Leons Delicatessen & Restaurant, the name of this Kosher deli was changed in the early 1940s as another of the Leon brothers married a Schwartzberg. January 1980: Houston Oilers coach Bum Phillips shows the emotion that he shared with many of his players as they were welcomed by a crowd of more than 55,000 inside the Astrodome after returning from Pittsburgh. Between courses: mysteryfood Ode to franchises ofyesteryear Chuck wagon-ing Taste of a decade: 1940srestaurants Just cause it looks bad doesnt mean itsgood The other Delmonicos Between courses: Beard at LuckyPierres Basic fare: spaghetti Famous in its day: TheMaramor Between courses: wheres mybutter? Traditional eating places, from the humblest to the grandest, suffered from intense competition. Cooters I think that was the name, anyway. Alligators - Houston. I also miss ZuZu, which was on Shepherd near Fairview. 16 Kid-Friendly Houston Restaurants That Grown-Ups Wont Hate. Maxim's Maxim's closed in January 2001. With dinner for two easily totaling $100 [about $228 now], they learn it often means higher prices too. 1987 With new laws holding restaurants responsible for customers who cause drunk driving injuries, rising numbers of liability lawsuits against restaurants, and ballooning insurance premiums, American Express promises protection to restaurants that accept its charge card. I know their were a few here in the early 70's. Despite an off-and-on economy, the 1980s was a decade in which Americans ate out more often than ever before. Their speciality is English saddle, and Smith teaches a course in the subject. Hardeesmm..not sure. (Drexel St.) Houston, TX 77027 713-961-0552 Map Cuisine: Continental Seafood dishes get the royal treatment at Anthony's and even classic comfort foods of meat and potatoes get deliciously dressed up. I thought they had the best fried chicken and fried shrimp in town. All are Houstonians. L'eggs/YWCA Race - Houston, Texas. Swingin at MaxwellsPlum Happy holidays, eatwell Department store restaurants: MarshallFields Anatomy of a restaurateur: DonDickerman Taste of a decade: 1860srestaurants The saga of Alicesrestaurants The brotherhood of the beefsteakdungeon Famous in its day:Maillards Lets do brunch ornot? with no traffic mishaps. Munchies an artsy ice-house on Bissonett near Rice with string quartet music and mimes. Can you tell we ate at a lot of cafeterias when I was growing up? August 1980- Carrie Cook, 16, who was kidnapped over the weekend while babysitting, asks a neighbor to sign a petition supporting Houston Police Department Detective Bruce Music, who helped rescue Miss Cook and a 6-month-old baby from two kidnappers Saturday. A couple of restaurants which were (apparently) huge in other markets but came here and lasted about 5 minutes: Don't be sorry for posting, we like that! Y'all really love Chick-fil-A's waffle fries! Sorry to keep posting but I keep remembering! . The Carillon Center Sherlock's Baker Street Pub still stands, but it seems unlikely that much of today's bro-tastic clientele convenes there to discuss antiques, as the clientele of 1983 was. Mr. Gatti's is/was all the way down here? March 1980- Iranian Demonstration in Downtown Houston. . Pizza Hut No. The food fashion cycle quickened as diners discovered a taste for arugula, radicchio, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, sushi, crab cakes, Pad Thai, mesquite grilling, and fresh ingredients. Martini Bar and Cigar. Band member Billy Gibbons became a loyal customer of the restaurant. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Pre-1980 STREET SCENE Abilene Texas TX hp2483 at the best online prices at eBay! or something similar to that, anyways. But at lunchtime, the menu always included a few meat-and-potatoes dishes, including chicken-fried steaks, for rough-and-tough wildcatters. 403 Winkler Dr. - Houston TX (built early 1980s; demolished 2017; also 888 Chinese Restaurant) This restaurant is a second generation Pizza Hut building - the first was built in the late 1960s and was . Or others I dont mention? Anyway, enjoyed reading this. In the 1980s, the Acres Homes neighborhood laid claim to two of Houston's most popular barbecue joints, Burns BBQ and Williams Smokehouse, which closed in 2007 after a fire. Night Clubs. This is the decade when I first went to the USA. Houston had Bo Jangles for a while and they left quickly. 2-6cm Natural Clear Ball Quartz Crystal Polished Healing Gemstone Sphere Stone. A) Tony Vallone B) Sonny Look C) Bud Bigelow 5. James Frederick of Humble launches his bait at Lake Houston on 3/05/80 A fisherman casts from a pier on Lake Houston. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. (LogOut/ Howard Johnson's (Closed in 2017) See more '80s Nostalgia By 1975, the Howard Johnson Company had more than 1,000 restaurants and more than 500 motor lodges in 42 states and Canada. They served "burgers" which were really kind of like sloppy Joes if I remember correctly. I know of at least five in Louisville. An added treat was having our family photo taken by the restaurant photographer after we had finished our meal. And last but not least, the short order grill at Mimosa Lanes off the Gulf Freeway near Airport. Vaness Vajdos, left; Mary Cullen, center, and Laurie Pipenur, right, will try to challenge Donna Burge's Texas record for the marathon. Change). Taste of a decade: 1930srestaurants Anatomy of a restaurateur: H. M.Kinsley Sweet and sourPolynesian Bar-B-Q, barbecue, barbeque Taste of a decade: 1920srestaurants Never lose your mealticket Beans and beaneries Basic fare: hamburgers Famous in its day:Tafts Eating healthy Mary Elizabeths, a New Yorkinstitution Fast food: one-armjoints The family restauranttrade Taste of a decade: restaurants,1800-1810 Early chains: Vienna Model Bakery &Caf When ladies lunched:Schraffts Taste of a decade: 1960srestaurants Department store restaurants:Wanamakers Women as culinaryprofessionals Basic fare: friedchicken Chain restaurants: beans and bibleverses Eating kosher Restaurateurs: Alice FooteMacDougall Drinking rum, eatingCantonese Lunching in the BirdCage Cabarets and lobsterpalaces Fried chicken blues Rats and other unwantedguests Dining with Duncan Basic fare: toast Department store restaurants Roadside restaurants: teashops Tipping in restaurants Rewriting restaurant history Basic fare: hamsandwiches Americas first restaurant Joels bohemian refreshery. A large dance club and saloon on the opposite end of the shopping plaza from Todds, on Richmond Avenue. 1. Those were great days. Features Valet parking & parking lot Dress code: Ties suggested Full bar Dining underground on LongIsland My blogging anniversary Underground dining Odors and aromas Digging for dinner Restaurant as communitycenter The Mister chains Celebrity restaurants: HeresJohnnys Pizza by any othername Womens lunch clubs The long life of ElFenix Pausing to reflect Sugar on thetable Famous in its day: LePavillon Native American restaurants Restaurant ware An early French restaurantchain Biblical restaurants Thanksgiving dinner at ahotel Dinner and amovie Restaurant murals Dining at theCentennial Restaurant-ing in 1966 Romanian restaurants Nans Kitchens Fish & chips & alligatorsteaks Appetizer: words, concepts,contents French fried onionrings Hash house lingo The golden age ofsandwiches Black Tulsas restaurants They delivered Americas finest restaurant,revisited Tableside theater Bicycling to lunch anddinner Anatomy of a chef: JohnDingle Sunny side up? While the restaurant may be gone, a Leo's Tex-Mex feast is forever immortalized in the double-truck photograph that graces the inside cover of ZZ Top's 1973 Tres Hombres album. Neither was very good; the only real attraction there was the games. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, Evelyn cooked her way through New York City with stints at Jean George's Spice Market under Chef Anthony Ricco, Masak with Chef Larry Reutens and. March 1980 - Aerial view of Houston International Festival, looking east from high atop the Chronicle garage showing Preston closed to traffic as the festival spills over from Market Square. Wop salad? Save. Longtime Houston Chronicle food editor Ann Criswell says, Ye Olde College Inn was the first restaurant in the United States to serve baked potatoes with all the toppings. In Seattle, Colonial-themed Mad Anthonys executes a style and cuisine turnabout, replacing a beefy Steak & Kidney Pye-style menu with seafood. Can the 1980s Restaurants Be the Key to Growth in the 2020s? I went to the one..okay you know.. El Paso had a Furr's right down the street from me. Click the Buzz Me button to receive email notifications when this writer publishes a new article or a new article in this column is published. -Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place - good steaks and seafood, and those excellent crab ball appetizers that the guy in the white suit used to bring around to all the tables -Angelo's, another long gone seafood restuarant With red, blue and green color-themed rooms, Christie's was known for its remoulade sauce on French-fried shrimp. (which we'd get Voyager at 11:30 AM on a Saturday). US $8.48 Second Verse Bar TX Most are from the 1930's-1980's George's Restaurant Houston Condition is as pictured. Cinco De Mayo on Holzworth (It burned down to the ground). Det. Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. The competition turned out a few serious paddlers, but most were fun seeking amateurs. September 1980-Heritage house moved in Houston, Texas. This family-owned restaurant originally began as a Chinese food products import store in the 60s but soon transformed into the restaurant Houstonians still frequent today. The driver and passengers in the van were not injured. Some of the baseball Astros drank there. BUD BIGELOW'S STEAKHOUSE This 1980 menu from Bud Bigelow's, featured in Houston Epicure: A Menu Guide to the Better Restaurants, highlights its steak and chop offerings. Neil was some guy who came here from New York I think. They're still going strong in Kentucky. I think it was on Westheimer or Richmond, out west. A friend of mine got clobbered. newsletter, 12 Houston Speakeasies to Spice Up Your Night. Here are some of the other bars I remember from the early 80s in Houston. It was THE place to go. A sketch of the planned 71-story Allied Bank Plaza building is superimposed on the downtown skyline. Ohio + Tahiti =Kahiki Find of the day: the RedwoodRoom Behind the kitchendoor Before Horn & Hardart: Europeanautomats Distinguished dining awards Restaurant as fun house: Shambargers Dressing for dinner Dining on the border:Tijuana Postscript: beefsteak dinners Three hours forlunch Light-fingered diners Mind your manners: restaurantetiquette Celebrity restaurateurs: PatBoone Diary of an unhappyrestaurateur Basic fare: bread Busboys Greek-American restaurants Roadside attractions: TotosZeppelin 2012, a recap Christmas dinner in a restaurant,again? The Stella Link location was a gourmet food store in the front, with a counter and full-service restaurant in the back. There was one in Sharpstown Mall, and one on the corner of W. Belfort and (then) Post Oak (now 610), --Romano Cafeteria (which got taken over by Luby's), --Piccadilly Cafetaria (was that in Northline Mall? We won't fault you for getting misty-eyed over these failed fast-food chain restaurants from the 1980s. Independent restaurateurs, too, found it increasingly attractive to operate more than one restaurant. Ate there a few times as a kid too. and i'm very glad we don't have krystals or white castle. One eventually learned to book a room far in advance. Tea Cup dining restaurant ware Green/White : . Shanghai Reds Red-hot happy hour with dancing and a free buffet, all with a great view right on the Ship Channel. 1850s. There was a Del Taco on S. Braeswood just west of Hillcroft that opened brand new around 1979. Friendly, non-threatening. Lots of random kissing. 25 Classic Restaurants Every Houstonian Should Visit At Least Once, Loma Linda houston tx 1956 - Google Search, Dinner Bell Cafeteria houston tx 1954 - Google Search, Spanish Village houston tx 1953 - Google Search, Three Brothers Bakery houston tx 1949 - Google Search, Sonny's Place houston tx 1944 - Google Search, Triple A Restaurant houston tx 1942 - Google Search, Telwink Grill houston tx 1940 - Google Search, Lankford Grocery houston tx 1939 - Google Search, Guy's Meat Market houston tx 1938 - Google Search, Avalon Diner houston tx 1938 - Google Search, james coney island houston tx original -1923.