After draining the oil out of the bottom, wait a few minutes for it to drain completely. 2017 Chevrolet SILVERADO 1500 PICKUP Transmission Fluid. Differential Fluid usually lasts longer than most other fluids. Its also important to note that you should only use the specific type of fluid thats recommended by Chevrolet. Provides reliable and convenient access to the underside of your vehicle as well as nestability for maximum storage space. Kevin. 2014 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. Your owners manual is the best place to look for your fluid change intervals, as well as making sure you order the correct viscosity, quantity, and type of gear oil. JavaScript is disabled. Meant for heavy-duty applications, it is also designed to work with limited-slip differentials. It helps to lubricate the differential and keep it cool. However, in order for these components to move more freely and not heat up too much as a result of the continual friction, they require differential fluid in the housing. If youre not sure how to check the level of fluid in your differential, its best to consult a professional. The type of fluid used in a front differential depends on the vehicle. SEVERE GEAR 75W-90. We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and so that ads you see online can be tailored to your online browsing interests. Before doing any DIY service please check your insurance policy and Chevrolet warranty policy for your region. Front wheels should be chocked. It's all may be done by yourself in a mater of a couple of hours. You can expect to see some discoloration and perhaps a film of oil on the windshield during the first few days after this procedure. Then use a razor scraper or light abrasive pad to clean the mating surface of the housing and the cover. Features: Works in limited-slip, offers reduced friction, long-life. 2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Differential fluid is one of the most important fluids in your car. JavaScript is disabled. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Add the suggested fluid and/or limited-slip additive, if required. Lucas says it safely blends with other synthetic and conventional oils, so you dont need to worry about whats left after a rear differential fluid change. I agree with Mr.Pratt because I have been searching for hours on just what to run in rear differential on a manual 5 speed Ive had for about 15 years and Ive decided to go conventional GL-5 is just fine for my conditions.Sure synthetic will give you piece of mind for a price. On average, the cost for a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Differential/Gear Oil Replacement is $132 with $37 for parts and $95 for labor. That is what I'm running. Have an empty catch pan on hand and keep your distance when popping off the cover; otherwise, it may leak. If there is water, youll need to change the fluid as water will not lubricate your metal parts. It resists being forced out from between the metal parts, even under high temperatures. Learn how your comment data is processed. Other signs include a burning smell coming from the differential area or gear changes that are not as smooth as they used to be. 428k miles and drives like new. It has specific friction modifiers and additives to withstand the incredibly fast clutch cycles of the T-case. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. There are many different types of differential fluids on the market, but not all of them are created equal. This fully synthetic oil meets GL-5 standards and is designed to ensure exactly the right friction behavior in your rear differential. Some cars have a rubber stopper, making the process considerably easier. General Motors recommends using the maker's own hydraulic fluid -- GM Part No. If your differential fluid is not changed for a long time, you run the risk of more severe and costly problems. Front and rear diff - 75w90 (couldn't remember 2-4 quarts?) I have a 2003 silverado ss so it has the awd transfer case. GM recommends using its own brand of oil part No. Designed for superior shear stability, it wont break down when youre working your truck hard on and off the road. For these differentials, youll need to remove the entire rear housing. https://www.genosgarage.com/product/mag-hytec-differential-cover-site-glass-aagc/differential-covers Once youre done, fill the differential and put the plug back in. The riding mower and the Celica get the used oil from the Vette. 2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. The Vette is part street and part track, road course racing. 1.2K 95K views 5 years ago #3rdGenSilverado #3rdGenDIYs We are shooting a three part mini series showing how to change the gear lube on Cliff's 2014 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L Eco Tec V8. Otherwise, you may damage the differential. Because your vehicle turns left and right, the wheels need to spin at different speeds, and the magic bits in your rear diff make that happen. Why? After every 30k to 60k miles driven, your cars differential fluid must be changed. Your link has been automatically embedded. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of data and cookies. 2014 sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab, Std Box SLT 4WD Z71. Prices may vary depending on your location. If the wheels were rotating at the same speed, the vehicle would easily fishtail around the curve, but having a differential between them prevents it from doing so. The information provided in this article was taken from the 2014 . 4. 3 quarts of gear lube (verify capacity of your truck to be sure; mine needed 2.4). The differential also multiplies torque, thats the number you hear called a differential ratio. Its the ratio of teeth on the ring gear (the output) to the number of teeth on the pinion gear (input). The clutch packs in the locker need special lube, but you also put in regular gear oil. You can post now and register later. And does anyone know the capacity for the front? My independent serviced my transmission a few weeks back and we are getting ready to do the transfer case and front and rear differential in a few. DIY car service is not as difficult as it looks like and it might save you thousands of dollars per year. It is important to consult your trucks owners manual or a qualified mechanic to determine the correct fluid capacity for your truck. Some have enough clearance that you can use the bottle to pour, but others will require a differential fluid pump. Transmission . To keep the components within your differential lubricated and operational effectively, differential oil or gear oil is added to it. The following is a simplified version of how to perform this operation: Before we get started, there are a few points you should know. Change automatic transmission fluid. How to Check and Fill Front Differential Fluid 14-19 Chevy Silverado 1A Auto: Repair Tips & Secrets Only Mechanics Know 2.01M subscribers Subscribe 56K views 3 years ago Shop for New Auto Parts. However, the procedure varies slightly depending on vehicles since some differentials only have two connections: one for filling the fluid and another for draining it. I am very familiar with fluids and what works for me. They're very powerful and capable, but they're also very vulnerable to poor fuel quality. I did my front diff and transfer case , The front diff does have the12378261 synthetic, fluid in it and the tcase uses trans fluid. FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM: @THESUNDAEDRIVE - www.instagram.com/thesundaedriveCHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE \u0026 BLOG: www.thesundaedrive.com******************************************************************** Partners and Sponsors********************************************************************Tool and Dye Designs - Auto enthusiast inspired clothing: Website: www.toolanddyedesigns.comKies Motorsports - For all your BMW needsWebsite: www.kiesmotorsports.comYoutube: www.youtube.com/kiesmotorsportsSpeed Circuit - LS Powered Exocet and Evo UpgradesWebsite: www.SpeedCircuit.net ******************************************************************** Music******************************************************************** Rear differential: Oil was brown-grayish. As noted it helps with the clutch packs in the posi unit. So I went to my dealership today to get fluids for the transfer case, front and rear differentials. fluids changed at the the dealer $29/quart and takes 3 quarts each. It also keeps all of those components cool so that all of the parts in the differential dont overheat and belt. Add this car It is a later model 350 Crate engine that has the curved oil pan near the front. 2) Rear differential - ALL acceptable types and capacity. By When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. It is important that no additives are put into the engine oil. in your garage to make future searches easy. I am an ASE certified Certified Master Automotive Technician as well as A GM Certified Master Technician, and have over 40 years experience in the Automotive Service field. Lucas Oil Products were designed for the high demands of the racing world, and that performance translates to helping your vehicle every day. The front differential fluid capacity for the Sierra is 2.9 pints (1.4 liters). When adding, be sure to fill to the approximate level, as recommended in this manual. Remember, on a rear end without a drain plug allways remove the fill plug first. (Applies to: Severe) Change transfer . Thank you very much! Since the 1999 Model year the factory fill for the rear axle of all trucks has been 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube. Yeah I had to add the riding mower since it has mods too! Youre correct Ryan, the synthetic is hyped for differentials. My 2002 Escalade AWD calls for the same fluids as the SSS. Differential fluid, also called gear oil, is the fluid that is poured into the rear differential housing. Check all of the drained oil for metal shavings (there shouldnt be any). Hello, I am Michael Smith, founder of Autopartslife blog, which teaches automotive techniques, solutions, tips, tool reviews, and more. There will be a metal dipstick on the forward part of the transmission housing- this is NOT the transmission fluid dipstick but a separate one. Synthetic axle lubricant GM P/N 19300457. The trade marks appearing on this website including, but not limited to: GM, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile, Opel, Pontiac, Saturn, Vauxhall and their respective logos, emblems, slogans and vehicle model names and body designs are trademarks and/or service marks of General Motors Company, its subsidiaries, affiliates or licensors. Here's a little info on it Red Line's Full-Synthetic Shockproof Gear Oil is unlike anything you've tried before. Wipe up any drips. Over time, this fluid can become low, causing your car to run less smoothly. Remove any remaining gasket remnants from the differential cover and housing mating surfaces with a scraper. Even modern cars stuffed with electronics can be serviced in your garage or even in your driveway. Mobil1 or royal purple 75w-90 for the rear. It needs to lubricate the clutches, gears, and bearings in the rear end. Likewise, if you are driving off-road and drive through water that is deeper than your axles, water can get in. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. The trade marks appearing on this website including, but not limited to: GM, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile, Opel, Pontiac, Saturn, Vauxhall and their respective logos, emblems, slogans and vehicle model names and body designs are trademarks and/or service marks of General Motors Company, its subsidiaries, affiliates or licensors. . Shop SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 at AMSOIL. Use the correct fluid, as specified in your cars owners handbook, unless otherwise directed by your manufacturer. Chevrolet recommendations and specifications for oil and fluid for 2016 Silverado 1500. Compared To Conventional Hypoid Gear Lubricants, Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube Ls 75W-90 Performs Exceptionally Well Over A Wide Range Of Temperatures. If its more convenient for you, call our service center right now! It does what might be the hardest job of all of those components, multiplying torque from your transmission and sending it to two rear tires. The torque spec for the fill and drain plug are 24ft-lbs.GM recommends 80w-90 fluid while Amsoil recommends 75w-90. You can also buy and sell vehicles and connectdirectlywith automotive enthusiasts right from your phone. And Valvoline syn ATF for xfer case. Engine. For the oil type itself, You'll want to use 75W-90 synthetic gear oil; any brand is going to be fine. The Best Pressure Washers for Cleaning Your Car, 1. It is recommended that synthetic lubricant be used when changing rear axle lubricant for the following reasons: This gear oil will reduce friction and drag and will enhance your gear capacity, and it has excellent viscosity stability, meaning it wont change its characteristics away from its requirements when it gets hot or cold Liqui Moly recommends it for extremely high load applications, though it is not recommended for limited-slip differentials. Just enough fluid should be added to reach the correct level. C = Conventional Axle LS = Limited Slip Axle FF = Full . My Favorite source for parts & filters and Amsoil is MadJack Diesel Performance. In some regions DIY service may invalidate your warranty. A differential is a gearbox that allows the wheels to spin independently, and it contains a cluster of gears that spin the wheels independently. Obviously, with it being changed so infrequently, we would love to make you a QuantumBlue HP Competiton Formula 75w90 Tackified Gearlube for your differential in the front of your car. Paste as plain text instead, Fits 2014-2018 Ram 3500 4WD models with BorgWarner transfer case. not sure about the front. I installed the gasket only adding RTV add the corners near the timing chain . The differential may start to drain as soon as you loosen the lower bolts, but it also may stick. Features: Race-car ready, designed for high-performance applications, helps cushion gears. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Jul 8, 2014 Messages 80 Location Michigan Oct 5, 2015 #1 Hello, I need some advice, I have a 2014 Silverado with the G80 3.42 differential. Any time you drive through water, at least before coming home from that off-road trip, checking your rear differential fluid is a good idea. Is it truly necessary to replace the differential fluid in your Silverado? Display as a link instead, If its below the lower mark, add more fluid. Then just remove the top bolt loosely while removing the cover. How to change transmission fluid in Chevy Silverado 1500, Transmission Fluid For Dodge Ram 1500: Guide, Permatex 25238 The Right Stuff Grey Gasket Maker, Lucas Oil LUC10046 SAE 80W-90 Heavy Duty Gear Oil, Mobil 1 104361-UNIT 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube, ACDelco GM Original Equipment 10-9243 Dexron VI Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid, RhinoGear 11912ABMI RhinoRamps MAX Vehicle Ramp. It can be tough to find if you've never. This site is intended for reference only. From 2002 on same with front axle, synthetic 75W-90 is required. Do not put in differential case [9] XY-75W85-QL, WSS-M2C942-A, SAE-75W-85 Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant for the PTU When filling a Limited Slip axle requiring Friction Modifier, always add Friction Modifier first, before filling with the lubricant. This is usually located near the engine, on the side of the car. 5.7. Second, this procedure will proceed at a deliberate pace and take measures to avoid an unpleasant leak because the more work will do so. There's a drain plug for both of them on the lower part of the differentials. Differential fluid is essential for proper function of your 44 trucks front differential. Its a pungent sulfur smell that youll immediately recognize if you encounter it; if you detect it, theres a problem. If your differential has a leak that lets fluid out, it can let water in in heavy rain or deep puddles. okay.The manual says 75w-90 for the rear and 80w-90 for the frontbut I didn't know if it needed to be something specific or the actual gm stuff being that it's the locker axle. step 1 :Checking the Front Differential Fluid 0:06 Raise and support the vehicle Make sure the vehicle is level Remove the four 15 mm bolts securing the plastic splash shield Remove the plastic splash shield Remove drain plug, clean magnet on plug while oil drains. If you cant, make sure you lift the front and rear of your ride to the same height, otherwise, you will not get all of the fluid out or get the right amount of fluid in. We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. It's expensive though and probably overkill. If youre changing the fluid in a truck or tall SUV, you can probably change the fluid without lifting the vehicle. Check fluid levels when adding or refilling as recommended in your 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 user's manual. . A 4.11:1 differential multiplies torque by 4.11 times what came out of the transmission, which is already multiplied by your transmission from the engine. In the 2005 models you so not have to add any posi additives. Do I need to add a friction modifier or am I good with just the synthetic oil? System. If it happens to be Mobil, Delo, Delco I dont care it will all be fine. This is a tough lubricating film that offers maximum protection for your heavily loaded or shock-loaded gears. In those conditions, consider changing it annually or every other year. To add differential fluid, you will need to find the fill plug on the differential. Every 250 miles or weekly, whichever comes first Check the engine oil level Check the coolant level Check the windshield washer fluid level Check the brake and clutch fluid levels Check the tires and tire pressures ( Section 5 ) Every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first All items listed above, plus . document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Just drain the fluid out and then use a suction device to put fluid in the fill hole. I also had a new fuel filter put on. The second requires you to remove the cover. This is a case of someone repeating bad information vs being an expert. But if you have a 2003 Silverado, its important to be aware of the front differential fluid capacity. I have researched and read it both ways. Show example Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Differential/Gear Oil Replacement prices May 19, 2003 in AWD, Differential, & Transmission Tech, I checked the owners manual for front diff fluid specification and it calls for: SAE 80-90 Axle lubricant GM part # 1052271, I checked the GM service manual for front diff fluid specification and it calls for SAE 75-90 Synthetic axle lubricant GM part # 12378261. By submitting your comment you agree to our, The Best Differential Fluids and How and When to Change Them. Clear editor. Not inexpensive for sure, but good for piece of mind. Limited-slip differential fluids actually have additives that help the clutches in the differential function to stop you from spinning just one tire in the snow or dirt. Let it drain then remove the cover. Motul USA Motulgear Technosynthese SAE 75W-85 API GL-5 Gear Oil. That being said, I did change both at 5,000 and 20,000 miles but don't intend to touch them again for 100,000 miles. You cannot paste images directly. When checking the differential fluid level, be sure to check the condition of the fluid as well. Checking your differential fluid level regularly can help prevent this problem. My rear diff almost took 4 quarts. It's really hard to screw something up and damage your car permanently if you use right tools, follow Chevrolet Silverado 1500 service manual and use right parts and fluids in prescribed amounts. The manual specs synthetic 75w90 for the rear so I'm looking at Amsoil SVG 75w90 for it. The front differential is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels. This fluid is meant for use in both limited-slip and open differentials, and it comes with friction modifiers for LDSs meaning that you dont need to add any extra additives for your differential. The differential oil does the same important function as the oil in your engine: to keep metal-on-metal parts well lubricated. Youve completed it! The specific lubricant for the rear axle is just a synthetic fluid to mix with a non synthetic gear oil. I know it is 75w-90. Your vehicle gets smoother and more responsive. Is that quart bottles? This stuff retails for $28.19 per bottle and takes about 3 bottles. car Can I Bring My Own Oil And Filter to Valvoline, How Do I Reset My Central Locking On My Car, How Do I Get Dried Paint Off My Car Interior, Pull out the dipstick and clean it off with a rag, Pull the dipstick out and check the level of the fluid, The fluid should be at the full line on the dipstick. Just put in synthetic 75w-90 oil. If your car is having trouble turning, especially when making sharp turns, it could be a sign that your differential fluid is low. Lucas says that its gear oil is the go-to for vehicles where other lubricants have failed. We are shooting a three part mini series showing how to change the gear lube on Cliff's 2014 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L Eco Tec V8. However the owners manual calls for SAE 75W - 140 and 5 ozs of LSD . Here at Advance Auto Parts, we work with only top reliable Differential Oil product and part brands so you can shop with complete confidence. The video is applicable to the 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, Chevy Silverado List of tools used: 15mm Socket http://1aau.to/oUg/1AXAA00015 18mm Socket http://1aau.to/ooM/1AXAA00043 1/2 Inch Breaker Bar http://1aau.to/oiQ/1AXAA00078 Ratchet http://1aau.to/o8k/1AXAA00016 Socket Extensions http://1aau.to/oUg/1AXAA00015 Fluid Transfer Pump http://1aau.to/of/1AXAA00152For More Info visit us at http://1aau.to/h/bBA/ DISCLAIMER:While 1A Auto strives to make the information provided in this video as accurate as possible, it makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or applicability of the content. Our 6.6L LB7 Duramax Maintenance guide goes over everything you need to know to properly maintain these trucks. Differential fluid helps your cars engine run smoothly and efficiently. On 2005 Silverado's fitted with a six-speed transmission, GM recommends using its own fluid -- GM Part No. Required fields are marked *. You can look up the data specs on the Shockproof Heavy RedLine gear lube here if you're interested Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90. I also wanted to be sure that the front diff in my SS had Synthetic Gear Oil. When the only thing you need to pay attention to is GL-5 rating and limited slip additives if needed. The differential casing can be found under the truck in the middle of the driveshaft. For Silverados from 2000 or later, youll need to use a Dexron VI fluid. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. How do you check and add differential fluid? Other vehicles, on the other hand, require you to remove the housing cover. It works fine. We use data about you for a number of purposes explained in the links below. The following benefits result from the presence and timely replacement of your differential fluid: When a differential is low on gear oil, it makes a lot of noise. 2 quarts. $20.30. The fluid that they gave me for the front differential and the transfer case match what the owner's manual call for. If youre looking to change the front differential fluid in your 2014 GMC Sierra, youll need to know how much fluid to purchase. A forum community dedicated to all General Motors truck owners and enthusiasts. Set the parking brake and park on a flat surface. Count yourself lucky your transfer case hasn't failed. Only 75W-90 synthetic all-wheel drive front axle gear oil should be used, according to GM. Product code: (SVGPK-EA) . For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I wanted to change my axle fluids at around 500 miles as I have done on my prior GM trucks. When replacing the differential fluid, it is important to use the correct type of fluid for your GMC. If you have a Silverado from 1999 or earlier, youll need to use a Dexron III fluid. Chevrolet recommendations and specifications for oil and fluid for 2014 Silverado 1500. I have the AUTO as a option on my 4x4 selector knob if that helps. Loosen all of the differential bolts. Mobil 1 is one of the best-known lubricant companies in the world, making the factory fill oil for some serious high-performance vehicles. If there is only a little leak that is detected early, driving the vehicle should not cause any problems. Now the truck. The procedure for draining differential fluid from cars and trucks with an entire differential housing cover is the same, although youll need to remove more bolts to empty the fluid. The only fluid to run in an AutoTrac case is GM's own AutoTrak II fluid. Only enough fluid should be added to enable you to reach the required level. The cover is bolted on with twelve 10mm bolts and the plug can be opened . Photo credit: Panudet Srichan / Shutterstock.com. The front differential is a gearbox that transfers power from the engine to the wheels. What is everyone using? Copy. cool guysI think I am just going to run amsiol 75w-90 in the front and rear diffs.Shouldn't hurt anythingShould it? The 2005 Silverado with four-wheel drive uses 80W-90 gear oil. You help to support davesoilchange.com. Synthetic fluids typically offer better protection against wear and tear, but they can be more expensive. I have the g80 in mine and I was told to use 80w-90 and that it would be fine. Then fill the differential. Pay later or over time with Affirm. Before doing any DIY service please check your insurance policy and Chevrolet warranty policy for your region. The front calls for 80w-90 non synthetic and the rear calls for 75W-85 synthetic. Your email address will not be published. Tow Mule. The three videos will show how to change the front differential, transfer case, and rear differential fluids.This process also applies to the 2014 - 2018 Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and EscaladeAll fluid is being changed to compatible Amsoil Gear Lube.Per the GM owners manual: When the differential is cold, add enough lubricant to raise the level from 0 mm (0 in) to 3.2 mm (1/8 in) below the fill plug (1) hole. Wipe out the cover and inside of the housing to get rid of any old fluid and metal particles. Shop for New Auto Parts at 1AAuto.com http://1aau.to/c/123/m/differential-coverIn the video, 1A Auto shows how to check and top off the front differential fluid. Once youve found the dipstick, pull it out and wipe it clean. If youre like most people, you probably dont think about your cars front differential very often. To know where the fill line is on your vehicle, check the manual, but full is often when fluid starts to drip out of the opening. Volume: 1 Liter. Its messy, and it takes more work because you have to re-seal the cover. Next time around I will try and track down some Mobil 1 75W-90. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Changing engine oil, brake fluid, ATF, replacing brake pads, and etc. In the rear diff with limited slip there is an additive that you need if you run dino gear oil. Amsoil and Redline are only .90 cents apart on their websites. I need to know what ALL types (synthetic and standard oils) and capacity of fluids can be used in the following units on this truck? Off-road driving is made easier with better suspension stability, particularly on twists and turns. This isnt the quickest approach; this is the correct solution. Over the next week, look for leaks and check for any other problems that may have arisen as a result of the collision. Old gear oil smells horrible, so you might want to do this outside. What is the differential capacity for a 2000 silverado i know how to check the level i am replacing the whell bearins and want to refill with new oil. Make sure the mating surfaces are completely clean of gasket debrisyou dont want to have to repeat this process because of a leak. Air, Oil, & Fuel Filters; Cold Air Intake & Tuner Kits; Cold Air Intakes; Intake Accessories; . Due to my restraints in resources at home, I decided to have my local dealership perform this service. Silverado front differential fluid capacity, 2003 silverado front differential fluid capacity, 2006 silverado front differential fluid capacity, 2014 gmc sierra front differential fluid capacity. #1 I want to change the differential fluid in my '02 Z71 Silverado 1500 but need some advice. Check your vehicles service handbook to see what Differential Fluids are appropriate for your car. The purpose of differential fluid is to guarantee a smooth transition of power from the engine to the wheels and consistent vehicle length between the outside and inside wheels.