Get new content delivered directly to your inbox. Watch the brand new series on Tuesday nights at 8/9p Central, only on ABC!Watch the best moments from the Muppets on ABC! It was fifty years ago, but seems like a blink of an eye. If you missed it, you can still listen to thisLife Out of Tunes show through Monday, February 5, 2018 by following the link: https://www.ashevillefm.org/show/life-out-of-tunes/ and clicking on the Play Archive button. One of the most popular attractions at Beaker Street was the Psychedelic Graveyard, where attendees could take photos with life-sized cardboard cutouts of famous dead musicians. Ill share a few memories and personal observations on the music that helped shape my life, so you can expect a wide variety of songs and an occasional story or two. In many ways, Beaker Street was the citys first alternative music scene, and it paved the way for future generations of musicians and fans. My wife saw comedian George Carlin arrested by Milwaukee police for performing his Seven Words You Can Never Say on Televisionroutine. I dont recall the dollar amount. What a gas! Here you can listen to the first hour of a program originally broadcast on June 26, 1970: Most albums from which the tracks were selected are 1970 releases. One newspaper account had listed John Sebastian as the concert headliner, clearly an error as wed suspected and confirmed by handbills posted on the festival grounds. In 2012 the original complete soundtrack from the movie "Charade" was release for the first time ever. Clifford left Beaker Street andKAAY in 1974. Discover Popular Podcasts. In fact, the tracks from Abraxas Pool and Gypsy in the example above werent available on Spotify. Horslips The Power and The Glory> The Rock Remains, 8. There were no additional postage or handling charges. One Monday evening found me shadowing on a program aptly named Uncorrected Personality Traits with hosts Jaybird and Juliet. Aircheck of Beaker Street and Beaker Theater - 4/13/71. 7. Godley & Creme "Art School Canteen" 2. Twice as a guest (and shadow) on the Thursday morning show, Riffin, hosted by Vance and assisted by Rick, both with their vast record collections of 60s and 70s music, I shared some similar music from the Midwest, discussing the bands and songs we heard growing up. My first show will feature a sampling of great music from Chicago which has had an influence on me. Name Tracks (Don't Fear) The Reaper: 1 (I Know) I'm Losing You: 3 (I'm A) Road Runner: 1 (Love Me Like Music) I'll Be Your Song: 1 (Nothing But) Flowers Instead, Ill be hosting a Thanksgiving Day edition of Closer to the Edge, an outstanding Progressive music radio show on Asheville FM (WSFM-LP, 103.3). We were a fifties and sixties rock n roll revival band that specialized in working fund raisers for schools and other non-profit organizations. Businesses started to close down, properties became abandoned, and crime rates rose. In the 1970s, Beaker Street was a major player in the Little Rock, Arkansas music scene. The format of Beaker Street was simple: each week, Milkovsky would play two hours of music, mostly rock but also including some jazz, blues, and folk. Peace! You can listen to my radio show,Life Out of Tunes with Joey Books every Monday afternoon from 2 p.m until 4 p.m. Eastern (1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Central) on 103.3 Asheville FM, and stream it live at: http://www.ashevillefm.org. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Click here to listen to an MP3 recording of tonights show. By that time, FM had taken hold, and I was now listening to underground radio on Radio Free Madison, WIBA-FM from Madison, Wisconsin. TRENDING PODCASTS. Still, I missed the uniqueBeaker Street format. Grateful Dead Death Dont Have No Mercy (Live/Dead), 7. During that time the show was also streamed live, from itsBeaker Streetweb site. It was fifty years ago, but seems like a blink of an eye. The show became known for its eclectic mix of music, including blues, rock, jazz, and country, as well as its offbeat humor and occasional live performances. ), That brings to mind some memories. 7th show of the Arkansas Rocks Radio Network Era. The Corporation I Want To Get Out Of My Grave, 6. Documenting the set lists of legendary radio program "Beaker Street", 7th show of theArkansas Rocks Radio NetworkEra, Check out:Arkansas Record and CD Exchange and Rock City Outfitters, Click here to listen to the MP3 recording of this show (Thanks Kenneth Hawkins for sharing), Click here to listen to Kenneth Hawkins Google Drive recording of this show, 2. In the late 60s and early 70s, a small but thriving underground music scene began to emerge in Little Rock, Arkansas. The show was heard six nights a week, from 11 p.m. until 2 a.m. Finally, as rain continued to fall, Mountain took the stage. This event was on a Sunday, the final day of the festival. We arrived instead near the end of Tayles set. I was also invited to be a pitch partner for an hour with Professor JD during his prog rock show, Closer to the Edge, on Thursday afternoon of the fund drive. But there is hope for the future. During the 60's and early 70's, KAAY was a powerhouse station covering a wide area of the country at night. The phantoms of internet connection were messing with Kenneth Hawkins last night. Fairport Convention The Naked Highwayman. Still, I missed the uniqueBeaker Street format. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Together we can explore and enjoy a few deep tracks from these great artists. Pink Floyd Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live), 2. Still, I missed the uniqueBeaker Street format. Incidental Music: Head "Cannabis Sativa" Check out: Arkansas Record and CD Exchange and Rock City Outfitters Click here to listen to the MP3 recording of this show (Thanks Kenneth Hawkins for sharing). Once there, simply enter Beaker Street in the Spotify search bar and scroll down to Playlists. Click on See All and youll see a couple dozen Beaker Street playlists by joeybooks.. Memorable songs includedYounger Girl,Darlin Be Home Soon and Red-Eye Express. You can listen to my radio show,Life Out of Tunes with Joey Books every Monday afternoon from 2 p.m until 4 p.m. Eastern (1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Central) on 103.3 Asheville FM, and stream it live at: http://www.ashevillefm.org. Streaming Now on Disney+ Sign Up at https://disneyplus.com/Enjoy Beaker's sentimental side with this special cover of Kansas's \"Dust In the Wind.\" Subscribe for all new videos from The Muppets! The shows impact was far-reaching, helping to launch the careers of many local and regional musicians. We played music by the Robbs, the Cryan Shames, the Buckinghams, the New Colony Six, the Mob, the Flock, the Ides of March and other Midwest groups. Asheville FM streams worldwide at ashevillefm.org, where you can check out the entire on-air schedule and Listen Live. So tune in and turn it up! Neither were The Corporation and Flow from the 1970 playlist. I know what youre thinking. Recently, again thanks to the Internet Archive, I located a number of Beaker Street playlists from the years 1996 to 2000, which were published on the programs web site at the time. I also have an MA. The hundred book reviews I wrote for Library Journal spanned about twenty years, so I should be hitting my stride soon. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Ten Years After Id Love To Change The World, 8. A 2020 New Years Eve(12:01. Log in to view your feed. Required fields are marked *. But for his show, Clyde Clifford delves deep into album cuts, many played directly from the original vinyl albums. After your morning coffee and a quick walk around the neighborhood with Fido, you might be heading off to work. If you were lucky enough to catch Beaker Street in its heyday, youll never forget it. I was home from college for the summer, making my getaway in dads carafter working second shift as an amateur sand-blaster at Fairbanks-Morse Corporation. David Crosby passes on Wed Jan 18, 2023. Notes To create a login account, click on the 'Sign in' link in the upper right corner and then select 'Sign up now'. Though memories of these things sometimes fade, I located newspaper clippings published at that time to corroborate my recollection. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Jaime Brockett The Legend of the U.S.S. While Beaker Street only lasted for a few years in Little Rock, it left a lasting impression on those who heard it. The Moody Blues, Mason Profit, Yes, Tyrannosaurus Rex, John Prine, Emerson-Lake & Palmer, Cream, Frank Zappa & Mothers of Invention, Janice Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, James Gang, Fleetwood Mac, Joni Mitchell are just a small handful of the acts first introduced to me by Clyde Clifford. Or discrimination. A team of the Kingdom's finest detectives has been assembled and put on the case. The show originally aired on Sunday nights from 10pm to midnight, but later moved to Saturday nights. Manfred Manns Earth Band In The Beginning, Darkness, 10. Summerfest is an annual music festival held in a permanent, seventy-five acre Festival Park along the beautiful shoreline of Lake Michigan in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. And one of these days, I hope to be doing the tickling. KAAY, an AM station broadcasting all the way into southern Wisconsin from Little Rock, Arkansas, came in loud and clear. There were rising stars and those at the end of long careers. Instead, Ive tried to re-create some of those playlists on Spotify, to provide an aural sense of what music Clyde put together for his five-hour programs. Titanic, 3. The Doors Peace Frog/ Spanish Caravan, 3. Instead, Ive tried to re-create some of those playlists on Spotify, to provide an aural sense of what music Clyde put together for his five-hour programs. It was a place where people could be themselves without judgement or fear of retribution. Beaker Street is in the middle of a Friday night lineup that includes Wood's Beatles-theme show Magical Mystery Tour at 8 p.m. and Mark "Uncle Marcus" Wallace, who spins an entire classic rock. A band named Tayles, from Madison, Wisconsin, and Mylon, a southern gospel-rock group were the opening acts. The program was broadcast on KAAY, a local AM radio station. There may even be something special from Wisconsin for all you cheeseheads. The Beaker Street Database project is a fan based attempt to archive past and present playlists from the Beaker Street Program. Proto-Kaw Greenburg, Glickstein, Charles, David, Smith and Jones, 1. Id been accepted at the University of Notre Dame as a freshman for the fall semester where it didnt take long before Id become one of the effete corps of impudent snobs so colorfully described by vice-president Spiro Agnew. During that time the show was also streamed live, from itsBeaker Streetweb site. Blood, Sweat & Tears Blues- Part II> Variations On A Theme By Erik Satie, 3. The first Beaker Street music festival was held in 1970 and featured local bands such as The Crawling King Snakes and The Kamps. By necessity, I had to either substitute one song for another from the same artist, or skip some songs entirely because, in case you didnt know it, Spotify doesnt have everything. (If you call the station at (828) 259-3936 and pledge or donate during my show, Life Out of Tunes, on Monday, April 30 between 2:00 and 3:00 pm Eastern time, Ill be especially grateful! We missed Mylon who, I learned recently, was managed by Felix Pappalardi of Mountain, the concert headliners. A number of organizations are working to revitalize the area and bring it back to its former glory. I can assure you that is not the case. ContentsIntroductionWhat to look for in a subwoofer for rock musicThe best subwoofers for rock musicWhy a subwoofer is important, Read More The Best Subwoofers for Rock MusicContinue, Contentsindie musicrock sugar musicthe best in indie musictop indie musicbest indie musicnew indie musicindie music newsindie music reviewsinterviews with, Read More Rock Sugar Music The Best in Indie MusicContinue, ContentsNo Copyright Rock Music Instrumental Royalty FreeHow to find and use no copyright rock music instrumentalsThe benefits of, Read More No Copyright Rock Music Instrumental Royalty FreeContinue, Contents The Best Beach Rock Songs to Get You Moving The Most Popular Beach Rock Songs The Most Upbeat, Read More Beach Rock Music to Get You MovingContinue, Contents The best of both worlds- rock and reggae The history of rock and reggae The evolution of rock, Read More Rock Reggae Music- The Best of Both WorldsContinue, Contents Introducing the new band Why rock music fans will love them Their sound and style Where theyre from, Read More Rock Music Fans Will Love This New BandContinue, The Beaker Street phenomenon in Little Rock, Arkansas, 10 things you didnt know about Beaker Street, Rock Sugar Music The Best in Indie Music, No Copyright Rock Music Instrumental Royalty Free, Rock Reggae Music- The Best of Both Worlds, Indie Rock Desert Music Video: Where Flowers Grow from Chest. It was on Beaker Street where I discovered artists like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Albert King, Phil Ochs, East of Eden, Tom Rush, Grateful Dead, and Herbie Mann among many others, including Jaime Brockett singing about The Legend of the U.S.S. Spirit "Nature's Way> Animal Zoo" 5. You can listen to my radio show,Life Out of Tunes with Joey Books every Monday afternoon from 2 p.m until 4 p.m. Eastern (1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Central) on 103.3 Asheville FM, and stream it live at: http://www.ashevillefm.org. Wishbone Ash "Handy" 3. Its frustrating to think wonderful prose and not be able to transfer it to actual words on paper or a screen. My Introduction to Underground Radio: KAAY Little Rock,Arkansas, https://www.ashevillefm.org/show/life-out-of-tunes/. Change). None of the music on that release resembles the Beaker Street background even remotely. Arkansas Rocks #141. Tune into the all new the Muppet show, The Muppets on Tuesday nights at 8|7c on ABC! The Beaker Street/Clyde Clifford Fans page on Facebook has become the go-to community for fans to groove to the music and swaps stories while listening in real time. One was humor. Fleetwood Mac The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown) (Live), 4. Quicksilver Messenger Service Pride Of Man, 6. It had been raining intermittently all day, leaving a sparkling sheen on every exposed surface. Not complaining, just thought you need to know this. FEATURED PODCASTS 100K CLUB Best Podcasts By City He then moved Beaker Street over to the more established KMJX-FM, Magic 105, where it continued until that station changed format in 2008. Ill be spinning some delicious classic dishes from the likes of Touch, Wishbone Ash and the Moody Blues, followed by fresh desserts from Anathema and others. (LogOut/ The Vietnam War was raging and there was a lot of unrest among the youth. Change. The street is named for the Little Rock Water Works, which was located on the street from 1879 to 1957. After a lengthy delay, Poco came out on stage, tuned up a bit, and began playing. Or maybe its because I cant think of anything else to write about. Blue Oyster Cult Vengeance (The Pact), 9. Thats why twice each year we hold fund drives. Within Temptation In Perfect Harmony, 8. After a steady diet of top forty hits and fast-talking DJs, I was mesmerized by the mellow voice of Clifford and the loosely structured format of acid rock, folk rock, blues, jazz, and what later came to be known as progressive rock. Its happened before, missing the big family gathering along with all those special foods prepared for the occasion. I wont be home for Thanksgiving this year. However, in the 1980s and 1990s, Beaker Street began to decline. Unlike today, festival beer was served up in glass bottles. Titanic and Deep Water Reunion covering the Tom Paxton ballad, Cindys Crying. And what a pleasure it was to hear full versions of songs by familiar artists versions not constrained by the three- or four-minute time limit so common on commercial radio then. Anxious to jump on board, I walked home to get my checkbook and then, after donating enough money to snag a snazzy Asheville FM t-shirt, stood behind the table, meeting more of the volunteers, learning more about the station and its programs, and urging other passers-by to stop, listen and learn about this community-powered radio station located in their backyard. Celebrate. They called it Beaker Street, after the street where one of the members lived. Clyde was always on top of the latest music, but never hesitated to juxtapose an older, more popular song with one never before heard. His senseless death impacted me. CLYDE ON-DEMAND: Listen to Kenneth Hawkinsrecording of this show by clicking on the link below: 100th Beaker Street of the Arkansas Rocks Era. The music selection is tremendous, including Eric Clapton, the Grateful Dead, The Flock, Robert Johnson, Leon Russell and Judy Collins. Host: Clyde Clifford Incidental Music: Head Cannabis Sativa Check out:Arkansas Record and CD ExchangeRock City Outfitters (Beaker Street Merch)Soft Shirts.comHippy Hounds Hemp Dog TreatsandStated Apparel 8 p.m. to 9. Grand Funk Railroad Mean Mistreater/ Paranoid, 2. Someone brought me a can of shaving cream and a razor. Procol Harum "A Salty Dog" (Live In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra) 8. The two men shared a passion for music and wanted to create a show that would showcase the talents of local musicians. So it was sweet when, in the mid-90s, I learned that Beaker Street with Clyde Clifford had returned to the airwaves. Like today, Summerfest was sponsored primarily by Milwaukees famous breweries. Our focus this time is GROWTH. If youre wondering into what category his book fell, it was humor.