gear. If someone dosent stop after being shot with one of those rounds it probably has less to do with the type of bullet than it does with the bullet striking a part of the central nervous system or enough blood leaking out of a vital organ. The CCI Blazer has a warning not to use their ammo with a ported barrel. This article, however, is terribly out of date and would be a huge help if it were updated and kept current. Shooting supersonic ammunition is a guaranteed recipe for instant permanent hearing loss and while the subsonic isn't that much quieter it at least gives you a fighting chance. Streamlined and performance driven, they are designed for both comfortable self-defense and target shooting conditions.These have a rugged polymer frame that includes aggressive stippling for retention and positive hand alignment. You'll see it as 9mm, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, or 9x19mm. Be sure that you take a safety class with that gun. I dread risking what I have left in hearing in a self defense shooting. Until recently, HST bullets, which have a copper jacket and lead core, were only available to law enforcement professionals. I was looking for informational videos for Glock mods when I came across PPT. Is SIG Sauer Elite Performance Ammunition good ammo for SD? Have you tried the 9mm from USAC? Hi Joe, good questionHP stands for hollow point while JHP stands for jacketed hollow point. You are way out of your depth, and decades out of date. They range much higher in price since they are what you should load in your defensive guns. However, it still feels as though the heavier cartridges seem to have a less snappy recoil when fired. When I clicked on the links to check current prices, I found, for example, that the ammo listed here at $10 was actually selling for $25. A robust line of perfect go-to self-defense revolvers offered in a variety of calibers. Anyone try the liberty civil defense ammo? Hi I'm a single mom and I've recently got a taurus G3c. That way we'll know whether a particular round didn't make the cut. There is also one major factor that sets Taurus apart from other manufacturers that makes me steer first-time g. A few informal 5-shot groups fired out at 15-yards produced groups that hovered around the 3.5" mark. what is your opinion about Fiocchi ammo, I like it because it has less of a kick. Shot placement + sufficient penetration to reach vital organs + max expansion is all that matters. They are charging more for 420rds to 500rds as they use to for 1000rds! Hey how are you, I'm surprised not to see my favorite on your list ( hornady critical duty) 135, is it that it is not as good as the others. We're all bad-asses until were not. What about underwood 9mm xtreme defender 90 gr ? My favorite for "defense" purposes in ..45 APC, .9 and .380. ), stating that all properly placed rounds take a minute to deliver any prey to death's doorstep. One SWAT Sergeant wanted to sell me a service pistol and offered a few boxes of frangible as part of the deal. . Learn all the important stuff about handgunswith none of the attitude. I understand that my glock 48 MOS should give me higher velocity and, based on your ballistic gel tests, I would anticipate consistent expansion without excess penetration. I'd much prefer a round that will penetrate 12" and delivers an extra 100+ foot pounds of energy over a round that penetrates 18". Hes been gathering shooting/stopping power statistics formust be 50 years now. The bullets design and its velocity at impact are far more important than calibera good 9mm+P hollowpoint works far better than .45 ACP hardball, and the right bullet in 9mm works better than the wrong bullet 100-200 f/s faster in .357. We already have an account registered for email address But the .38 caliber that was popular at the turn of the 20 th century can still be a viable option for folks looking for operational simplicity and dependability with enough persuasion to stop a threat. Try these out if you dont like the super heavy 147 gr HST. A refined element of the G3 is the 6-lb. Moreover if a bullet fails to penetrate its energy is expended to quickly.. And while some will surely say, "Dude, it was just a cat let it go!" The other day I was able to get a box of hollow points. The number of pellets in 12 gauge, 2-3/4" (non-magnum) buckshot loads varies from eight .36" balls in #000 buck to 27 .24" pellets in #4 buck. The new Taurus G3 pistol offers a number of desirable tactical features for a very reasonable price. Many small pocket semi-automatic pistols . As I just purchased a Taurus G3C 9mm pistol I am inquiring as to what your experience is, and would thus recommend; for carry ammunition. I'd seriously consider carrying the G3 if I didn't already own other pistols outfitted with . Hollow Points are a nice option but expensive to keep shooting at the range. Your wrong with the Gold Dots. I just bought a g3c .what do you recomend for bulk target ammo ? Reduced recoil in small guns is especially good and getting off a second shot is much easier. Horsesqueeze, handgun bullets DON'T put people down..Been hearing that crap about "The .45 will knock you down" Bs for over 30 years. Find the best 9mm Luger semi-automatic handguns from a variety of top manufacturers at the lowest prices, in stock and ready to ship to you! 3.20" 1 item; 3" 3 item; 4" 8 item; Compare Products. of energy at the muzzle, making the 45-70 the most powerful cartridge in our bear-gun lineup. There are slews of reports of suspects hit multiple times with big stuff that keep fighting. Very insightful information that the novice and expert can both understand. If the ammo is subsonic, it will be a touch quieter but still no where close to hearing safe. 4 of the best 9mm ammo types (and a battery for scale) from left to right: AAA battery, Full-Metal Jacket, another FMJ, Federal HST Jacketed Hollow Point, and Hornady Critical Defense FTX Polymer Tipped Jacketed Hollow Point. Of the different models, its performance is one of the better ones and it does outperform its price point. Howeverthe brass is a little difficult to reload. Copyright 2023 Pew Pew Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Self Defense. Taurus G3 9mm Luger Semi Auto Pistol 17 Rounds Black Taurus G3 9mm Luger Semi . Thanks for the reply Eric. Not likely it's the same old argument of .45 ACP vs. 9mm which the 9mm has won both times. bullet for self defense, if you don't have time to put on ear protection, is the lower velocity better for minimizing hearing damage, or is a silencer still necessary? I then found out that if I used a good grease rather than oil to lubricate my slide, and if I replaced the polymer guide rod with a stainless steel one, everything shot reliably in my Beretta. Did I make the wrong choices? Almost all good self-defense ammo is JHP while there's some unjacketed lead hollow points in revolver calibers (such as .38 Special). With the reassembled G3C the problem disappeared, it chambered the HST rounds flawlessly time after time. That is why now that I'm retired I carry Double Tap 124 grain 9mm +P bonded in my EDC. Eric, what is the difference between a 9mm round and a 9mm Luger round? Hi, I'm Eric Hung and I got into guns when I was around 25 and started with YouTube videos, scouring forums, and eventually taking a bunch of classes. I ran a few boxes thru my pistol before I realized I shouldnt be using it. The company has been making the best ammo for years now, so you can be sure that this one will be great. Would you ??? I agree it won't be long before cops go back to .40s&w. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/. My edc and primary home defense is the Glock 30SF. This gives a less "snappy" recoil feel to the gun. Need a better way. So I said, what about that hydro-shock stuff and that 2.5" wound channel it's suppose to create? It came with two palm swells, one with a . THX. You wrap the pork ribs in a piece of sweater or sweat shirt & a piece of denim. Cor-Bon are longer than lead core bullets of the same weight. Check out Sellier&Bellot 124gr ball ammo. DON'T PUT A PRICE TAG ON YOUR LIFE AND THE LIVES OF YOUR LOVED ONES. Great penetration, the biggest expansion, and velocity for those who like shooting the slightly heavier 124 gr rounds. The brand is SIG SAUER 9mm. I recently about 2yrs ago got a Beretta Px4 Storm Compact 9mm . No matter what I did, or how I tried, it wouldn't let me get near it as it became fierce enough to put the fear of God in me. This ammo is designed to provide maximum stopping power while shooting in self-defense situations. Thanks for reading! Unless you have a century-old Spanish pistol, you probably don't need this ammo. No Winchester Ranger on your list seriously? I'm a few weeks away from attaining my first 9mm Glock. The Taurus G3 9mm pistol, is, not surprisingly, rapidly becoming one of the more popular pistols across the U.S. On the tail of the G2 series, it has been showing a lot of promise. Weve shot thousands of these and they are reliable, clean shooting, and economical. I have carried a 40 S&W since 1998 and never had an issue with quals and classes taken. Taurus G3 Tactical T.O.R.O. However, when used with the compatible G3 17-round magazine there will be additional height, which will slightly affect overall concealment. Shop Clearance Shop New . The cat finally expired about a minute later because it bled out. Cats, dogs and other animals really suffer from that. Please rewrite this article. Type your email address and well send Use Type. April 16, 2022 / Comments (0) Top 10 Best Rifles for Home Defense | Best Home Defense Rifles. They've had ammo for months. Nosler Defense ammunition is an excellent self-defense load featuring the new Bonded PERFORMANCE bullets. Plus, the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets are among the toughest in existence, and Federal says they retain more than 95% of their weight for deep penetration. You mean it pops out when you pull the slide back? Civilians can safely buy either, or even the top performers from Winchester or Remington. Very direct and to the point you are- NOT! As someone new to guns, I was hoping this article would help me find the best online source to buy ammo for range training without doing extensive research on my own. 9mm Makarov (or 9x18) - These rounds fit Eastern Block military surplus pistols based on a design by a Russian fellow named Nikolay Fyodorovich Makarov. Taurus 327; Taurus 380; Taurus 605; Taurus 856; Taurus 905; Taurus 942; . One thing to be aware of is that all-copper bullets, e.g. The thing is, it was maybe only about six pounds so it should have died quickly. The best advice I got on this forum was to do the "drop and twist test" on any ammo before loading it in the G2C -- remove the barrel, hold it vertically, drop a round into the chamber, and . I would like to see ARX added to the review's. It feeds and shoots through my SIG P365 and out performs SIG's proprietary ammo for that pistol accuracy wise. If you want to see the full results from Lucky Gunner, check out their post here. I am not the least-bit recoil shy, but, I actually PRACTICE regularly. You're a funny guy! Announced in . The jacket profile is engineered to be precise and consistent, giving accurate shots every time. The bullet features a polymer tip that initiates expansion at low . Hello Eric, This is much more of a factor in defensive ammo selection than penetration. This is top quality proven JHP ammo with reduced felt recoil. It seems like you dont know what good 9mm ammo is. Greetings Eric: In my EDC 9mm (Taurus G2C or G3 as I have both) I use a combo load; 115 grain Geco JHP, 124 grain+P Speer Gold Dot JHP, and then the Federal 147 grain JHP High-Shok. Take a look at our selection of high-quality handguns today and get . Liberty ammunition has high speed that creates a hydrostatic shock that creates a permanent wound channel. I have asked several Police, SWAT, USAF SF and Navy SF I know/strained with, what they recommend and got about the same answer. Wow! Between Federal and American eagle., I'm there standard ie cheapest rounds since they are the same company? IMO Hornady is overrated, overpriced and over-marketed to gun owners who otherwise dont know any better. The way they make the round is amazing all from one Copper Strand. it seems to be more accurate, I use to use Federal American Eagle 124 grn. Thankyou. I have 8 yrs of military service (4 Air Force as a firefighter and EMT, and 4 US Army Combat Medic.) With a matte-black steel slide, three-dot sights, a polymerframe, a 4.0-inch barrel, and a trigger safety, Taurus's new G3 9mm semiautomatic pistol might not sound like anything new, but it is. Well the biggest problem i see is that "if" you can find it the prices are so damn high i can only order two boxes if im lucky but at least the prices are just high enough to get me free shipping. Earlier this year Taurus introduced its newest 9mm pistol, the G3c, which brings an affordable 12+1 capacity subcompact to the carry market. I would recommend the Norma Monolithic Holopoint. -Capacity: 17 for my Glock 17 vs 13 for the .45 Glock As soon as I saw the poor thing start suffering, I dumped the whole mag into him and reloaded. 1. It shoots accurately with a red dot and backup iron sights and eats every type of ammo I've put through it. Find something you like, not what someone else tells you. It would be good if you listed all of the ammo you tested at each bullet weight. 1) The sadly out-of-print Triton Quik-Shok, and Definitely stear clear of whatever the guy at the gun shop insists onmay work for him but no one else. I am going to equally enjoy this along with my modest collection of 9mm. Heres what were seeing in stock at the time of writing with AAC going in and out of stock. Taurus G3 9mm Semi Auto Pistol 15 Rounds Gray/Black Taurus G3 9mm Semi Auto Pistol 15 Rounds Gray/Blac. Unless you have the exact same gun as the tester, the results may or may not be accurate. I have separate mags I carry when fishing or hiking in rural areas and they are a mix of 3 types of Underwood including 147gr HP, extreme penetrator, and hardcast. It has become my Primary EDC. Really great site!!! Want more calibers and choicescheck out Best Places to Buy Ammo Online. Thanks. Agencies changes 'cause it's cheaper and slightly easier to shoot. I also love the Glock 43X! 9mm - 124 Grain HST JHP - Federal Premium - 20 Rounds. That heart/Lung shot is useless with most guns. While a lung/heart shot is what you normally choose for a clean animal kill, such as hunting game, it probably isn't the best for putting an animal out of its pain. $33.99. It is fairly new to his defense but it's tumble Upon impact it's not just a Gimmick it actually works every single time regardless of caliber. Wait for it - as soon as the infatuation with "new bullet advancements" smacks up against reality, we'll see agencies once again picking up .40 S&W and .357 Sig and the 9mm will be relegated to its place at the lower end of the "mid-calibers.". Overall, the pistol has nice lines and looks smart. If the punishment the shooter gets make them not want to practice or worse, not want to properly aim..its worthless. Is the much difference. Their work has been fully discredited and set aside in all serious ballistics discussion, just as is the use of meaningless media such as wet newsprint. I'm not a fan of super lightweight ammo though. Also, lightly smoothing the lips to the magazine might help as well. Heavier rounds tend to have a longer recoil impulse since it takes more energy to push the round out of the gun than with a lighter round. Do you load 115, 124, or 147gr ammo? I just picked up a case of 1k rounds for like $185. No pistol round (save maybe hot 10mm and .454 Casull) has "knockdown power" or "hydrostatic shock" potential. Good review, Eric, even if I can't share your enthusiasm for 115 grain loads. V crown. I like the hst but the other three shouldnt be in this list. I think 2 or 3 hits with this light load would do more to discourage an attacker than all the sound an fury of bullets whizzing past his ears. Always spotless and never a malfunction in 1k rounds. I didn't include Fort Scott in my test list because it hasn't had enough time to really prove itself. Dead is dead. Pew Pew and carry on. Comparatively speaking I found the Underwood 9mm 90gr Xtreme Defense a pleasure to shoot with my Glock 43x. Semper fi I will tell my friends "I would rather you hit 5 times with a .22 than miss 6 shots with a 454 . By gunbuyer. The .45 ACP was designed to "STOP" not kill the Moro, Muslims we were fighting in the Philippine-American War, because of the .38 Long Colt's failure to do so. This is possibly the most pimpin' gun that I own. There is a # 5.B) Too bad you dont really know what you are talking about, Eric. Modern HPs are wider now and can get stuck in pistols with steep feed ramps. So much for buying online. If that frickin' bullet would have just done all that hydro-shock stuff it talks so much about, but no. Fiocchi JHP. I was impressed by the G3's accuracy, especially considering the austere sights that are more appropriate for close-range, personal defense shooting than punching targets at 25 yards. I would go with a cheap brass cased round that is full metal jacketed. It is closer to 1-inch of flesh for several inches of gel. They are also hard to find in stock :). 9mm compared to .40s&w and .357sig always fail to expaned. So go ahead tell your loved ones"HARUMPH you need a bazooka of a handgun". If you want to know what works, get Evan Marshalls latest stopping power book, or better, all three. Constant tinnitus is debilitating. I shoot them sparingly just to make sure that the brands I have cycle through without issue. You do not pay One thing no review I've ever seen considers is most self defense events are going to take place in an enclosed space such as your home or vehicle. Absolutely, This must of been what I'm guessing there personal test, NO TESTING WITH THE CIVIL DEFENSE ROUNDS BY LIBERTY ? It would he helpful if you could mention some other brands that get either "honorable mentions" or "didn't rate high enough.". I think you forgot to update the prices! Also, with the barrel of the G3C installed into the G2C, I was able to recreate the issue, BUT, not . Regardless of what you choose in the end, and even though it will be expensive, shoot a box of your carry ammo at the range. I'm waiting to get my hands on a box of the Black Hills Honey Badgers to see if it's a similar experience. and all on stripper clips for 139.99 and just months later your lucky if you can find 200rds for that price! Theres so much wrong in this comment Im not going to dignify trying to correct it Lol. I love the 9mm round because it shoots clean and reliable. As info I use 124gr Federal HST in my 9mm and 165gr Federal HST in my 40s. And I have seen victims hit in a sensitive area drop with a .22. Did you try any frangibles? I have even seen articles that say reloading is more expensive. Plus our favorite plinking rounds. I also own a kel-technical sub 2000 with glock 9mm reliever. Examples? And then get there and it's all gone. Nah, most any modern 9mm, even a Taurus, should handle +P just fine. Reload as in reloading the spent brass yourself and making more ammo from it. My kel-tec sub 2000 is just fun to shoot and eats 9mm like candy. Subscribe to Pew Pew Tactical's sales and deals email. He picked the most popular 9mm rounds that are the most readily available. The Silvertip ammo is also known for its expansion properties. First ammo that my hands are black after the range. And then it started shivering, even uncontrollably as it eyes rolled back into its head. The Ultimate Guide To Kel tec p 17 The BP was skeptical; macho types have always denigrated the 9mm. Suggest you lookup Lucky Gunners handgun defensive ammunition ballistic testing reviews for 9, .357, ,40, and ,45 calibers and properly educate yourselflink below. I understand you cannot be constantly updating pricing, but this is a 150% increase, making the information totally outdated and useless. But dont take my word for it. Expansion, also equals damage. Weve got a dedicated section for the AR-15 here. I might suggest a Ruger EC9S or S&W Shield, both have notably lower recoil than my LCD, even with stronger rounds. Turns out, it works on the range as well. The 9mm was designed to emulate the .38 Special, which was designed to penetrate, and kill. There's other rounds with 9mm projectiles, but chances are if you see a bare 9mmit's the one we listed above. Learn more at. Mark Hollingsworth you are absolutely rightSplitting hairs now. Today, we will look at the best ammo for the Taurus G3c. Select what level shooter you are! My present carry gun is a Ruger LC9 first-generation 7+1, 9 mm; I have modified the two magazines with the MagGuts conversion to 8 rounds. HST 124, 124 SIG V-CROWN, CRITICAL DEFENSE(you get 5 extra rounds), 124 Standard Pressure Gold Dots, and Gorilla Ammo Inc. makes some gangster wickedly awesome stuff in both 115 and 135. April 13, 2022 Searching for the best . The best group of the day measured 2.05 inches for five shots, and four of the 20 groups fired measured under 2.5 inches. Try a spreadsheet comparison next time. I am also a storm chaser for the state, as well. While I won't name one brand to rule them all, I can make some suggestions based on my personal research into an effective round for my Sig Sauer P238. Lol. The next step for Taurus after the G3 series, is its brand-new micro compact GX4 in 9mm. I just stick with Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P in 9mm. I am somewhat concerned about hurting an innocent person with a bullet that passes right on through an attacker. Why is the test predicated on penetration; instead of " But we recommend you try a couple weights and make sure they cycle 100% in your self-defense gun." First of all, the penetration in ballistic gel does NOT equal penetration in human flesh inch-for-inch, as you clearly think. Only have a single 9mm - my CZ P01. Their reply was to next time shoot it at the base of the skull. Most would consider the Taurus G3c to be a concealed carry or self-defense firearm. With the G3, Taurus is offering more a better grip, longer sight radius, 2-4 more rounds and an improved trigger. 124 IMO is the best weight for 9mm. Am I doing something or got the wrong ones? Bottom Line. the screw to achieve the tightness adjustment, to achieve the best extraction strength, and . Imagine if we could bring some of the Old West gun fighters and they saw all the nonsense over caliber, they'd probably take out their single action pistol and Pimp Slap you to death with it at tell you to quit your crying . Old thinking. Here are some details of the test which closely mimic FBI protocol: Here are our recommendations for each of the most common weights of bullets: 115, 124, & 147 grain. So in the end expansion velocity and penetration are the keys energy is the by product. Self Defense & Police Gear; Water Sports; Login; Locate FFL. Its why I carry Liberty Civil Defense in my EDC. I love your site, you guys were a big factor in helping me decide on my first handgun purchase (Glock 17) - thank you for that. Unlike many of the other choices on this list of the best 9mm self-defense ammo, Hornady designed their Critical Defense lineup of ammunition from the ground up for use in short-barreled handguns during self-defense situations. Hi Eric, . I've used it but very limited amounts. best .380 round for short barrels, is the Hornedy, xtp. I'm looking for a reasonably priced 124 FMJ round that will duplicate (more or less) the ballistics of my 124 Grain Federal HST. Inevitably, some will love it, and some will hate it. Nine-em-em is easy to shoot, and so easy to shoot accurately; the least expensive of all centerfire cartridges, so you can afford more practice; and with the right loads JUST enough gun to stop a human attacker with a single hit to the body cavity 90% of the time. Sig is always ignored here. Seen a lot of shootings at the biomedical lab, have ya? of energy and a 100-grain load making 1,250 fps at the muzzle and churning out 347 ft.-lbs. You'll now receive newsletters of our best articles on techniques, . When you get a .22lr to save money on ammo, but end up spending way more. Most pistols will cycle these bullets ok but the magazine may not drop freely if the nose of the bullet is pooched out a little. That's just the way it is. "My personal favorite since I like the shooting impulse of 147 gr bullets." I recognize that bones etc in the human body can turn the bullet or do other strange things that keeps it inside but the ballistics of the HST 147 gr seems to be the best compromise. I used to shoot the White Box 100 round .45 ACP box from Walmart. Ammo Quest 9mm: Winchester Train and Defend 147gr Ammo Test. Reliable and ballistic always in the Sweet Spot. It works well for AIWB and strongside carry. Ammoseek is a good resource. Be careful and be well. Do they fail the 4 layers of fabric test?