Mark Kenyon On a hot and dry early October day, Artie was about to call it a day and head to the truck when he heard some rustling just below him. The Riener boys opened up with no one connecting. Missouri is known as a trophy whitetail State and for good reason. He had me pegged, but I think all he could see was my hat. The second day had Austill back on the ridge tops where he could hear other hunters shouting to one another. Clifton Fauria. The first day of hunting produced five punched tags, but none for Austill. You need to slip into his world, remaining quiet, comfortable and concealed. Big Game Information . So we must and we will. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. I knew I had to select a rear shot. It was taken all the way back in 1926 and there still hasnt been a buck to dethrone it. A pack of mule deer weighed over 700 pounds and could run like a cheetah. He was crushed, but he finally picked up the trail. William L. Murphy killed this Kaibab buck on November 14, 1943. Brett Cooter Ross had a buck tag in his pocket and an antlered deer of unknown size in front of him. The deer field dressed 431 pounds on government-certified scales. Number 1Broder Buck. Its a true giant. Boom! However, the rack was impressive enough that a drawing of it appeared in the 1939 edition of North American Big Game. What was the biggest deer ever killed in history? The biggest mule deer ever killed was a magnificent buck that measured over six feet at the shoulder and weighed an impressive two hundred and fifty pounds. If Not make sure you do, so that you dont miss out on any New Products, Tips, or News! Packing themselves into a Jeep, the six hunters bounced to 10,000 feet in mid-November. This marks the first time CWD has been detected in this hunting district out of more than 100 deer sampled there over the last three years, the agency said in a statement. 5. The buck was only 27 inches wide. Really big mule deer antlers seem to take on a life of their own after they die. A stud. It was found dead by a firearms deer hunter in . Mule deer are actually the biggest buck deer ever. Though the odds may be long, you shouldnt discount the possibility that you will one day see your name attached to a world-famous buck. Instead, it was a rutted-up beast of a mule deer, and Boyd took him down with his .270 Remington. Visibility is limited so Simons had to get elevated for a better view, which he accomplished by sitting on a 12-foot step ladder in the bed of his pickup. They woke to four inches of fresh snow on that mid-November morning and got down to business. Although these methods differ from one authority to the next, they allow direct comparisons. 357 SIG: Is the Semi-Auto .357 Magnum Dead? Jan. 18, 2017. The buck scored an impressive 195 2/8 inches and is a dandy archery buck at 39 on the Top 10 Biggest Pope and Young Typical Bucks of all time. The antlers had been shellacked. Dont Miss:Top 5 Booner Mule Deer Hunting States Since 2010. The deer was reported to be lying in a backyard of a residence located on Fruitwood Lane . When Ed died in 1968 he left no will. They headed north and stopped at 3 a.m., pitching tarps and bags anywhere. The buck stayed on the wall of the family home until 1973 when Don Broder, one of Eds sons, took it to a sportsmans show and then mounted it in his own home. ), Urban was followed by his boys in a CJ-3 Jeep. Sept 15th produced the biggest mule deer of my life with much credit to my good friends Neno and Miriam that packed in our . Photo credit: Frank Cheeney via Pope and Young. Out of the brush popped a small 3-point. But it does have pretty long beams at 21 7/8 inches (right) and 20 4/8 inches (left). A hunter with the head of a bear he killed. In 1965, they all decided to take nothing but trophy bucks that season. Simons has been following the deer on his free-range ranch since it was a 3.5-year-old, electing to pass on the buck multiple times. End of hunt. It went well over 200. 10-28-2010, 07:23 PM. At the age of 25, he gave up the pursuit of all other big game animals to focus on taking the best mule deer bucks possible. Antlers this big can be more trouble than theyre worth. But having my best friend and fianc on the hunt with me, and having Dad back at camp Its for those reasons that Ill never have another hunt mean so much to me.. Additionally, SCI does not measure the tip-to-tip spread or the greatest outside spread of a deer's antlers. What a rack that ones got, was the first thing I thought.. Which begs the question: Why arent more bird hunters using them? Are you a deer hunter wanting to learn how to accomplish your goals? That said, Boone and Crockett recognizes it as such and has therefore been grouped in such a manner for this post. The skull was awfully small for suck a massive rack. While there are several different hunting clubs that maintain a record book of big bucks, the Boone and Crocket Club is North America's oldest wildlife and habitat conservation organization. This big mule deer made Colorado his home until he was taken by an unknown hunter prior to 1970. Spicy Buttermilk Fried Goose Breast Sandwich, Rack Report: Devin Moore's Alberta Monster, ourstories, videos and hard-hitting how-to'sondeer hunting. You need to slip into his world, remaining quiet, comfortable and concealed. The rack of this deer is still on display in a local museum and is truly a sight to behold. The buck was also the state record for mule deer taken in the velvet in the state of Wyoming. Kirk gets a 212-class mount. However, SCI does not deduct the score for non-typical points (on a typical deer) or differences in symmetry. All six of these records have held up for at least 30 years. We'll go by SCI's book for these purposes. Have you signed up to our Email List yet? When I graduated boot camp, and the day I came home from Iraq. Mundy buck was not killed by either Bill Mundy nor a Mundy employee. That, combined with the fact that this record has stood for over 45 years, makes this buck even more impressive. Luck was on his side as they stalked through the dusty sagebrush . He let him walk, but thought to himself that buck may be his last shot at filling the freezer that season. Name Score Year Co. of Harvest Dean Hamilton, Healy, KS 269 0/8 1989 . The rack was so full of junk that half of it was still in velvetit couldnt possibly rub it all off. In 1997, the siblings filed suit, wanting the head returned, but it had vanished. They have no sex listed on their records, but it was most likely a doe. Wed barely walked a half mile from the trailhead on the first morning when a respectable, dark-horned 44 strode out into the icy breeze 100 yards ahead. $ 29.99. Theres also a question as to where the spread will be measured, which could lead to a 5-inch swing. Here are the six world record mule deer by subspecies and all the information you need to know about them. Dons portion went to pay for his contempt of court fine. The compilation episode of some of the biggest mule deer ever killed on film! With numerous children to his name, who would get the Model T, chaps, saddle and the monster buck? Despite being screwed to a wooden shield and held together by the original hide, the rack made it back to the States in one piece. Mule deer, so called because of their large, "mule-like" ears, are a species of deer predominantly found in the western portions of the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Similarly, whitetail hunters are always keen to harvest a bigger buck than they ever have. I dont think there is anything wrong with heavy packs or light packs. Barr has taken a number of exceptional mule deer and this southeastern Idaho beast is his best. This is one well-traveled buck, and its reported to have been given as a gift to Sir Edgar Dewdney, lieutenant governor of British Columbia from 1892-1897. John Hughes . Kodiak National Wildlife . In 1991, he moved the head to a business owned by a connoisseur of racks, who contacted an artist, who contacted a Boone and Crockett measurer who then taped it out as the largest Nevada buck ever. Want to know how your buck compares to others from your state? In the end, the earnings were split between all siblings. Score: 330-1/8. Don refused to reveal its whereabouts and spent six days in jail for contempt. You can do that too. Everyone split up, and Alton set up on a bluff to sit. I thought that at any moment Ashton Kutcher was going to jump out of the bushes and say You got punked!. He did and a patron saw the antlers and purchased them around 1965. Did I mention he only had one arm? The head hung on a fence near the barn for a year until Herndon was telling the local barkeep about his unusual score. He was watching the deer on the hillside when he heard yet more rustling from below in the brush. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. With one shot from his .264 the big boy was down. It is important to note that some antlers produce odd tines or exhibit asymmetrical or unusual growth forms. Ed left camp around 1 p.m. and followed some deer tracks. Consider the story of Arizonas only top-20 typical entry. But rarely do they hold on that long. This buck boasts a 19 6/8-inch inside spread. Re: More bird hunting, less big game. "The wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. may just give you the edge you need to kill the buck of a lifetime. Passing on a buck is always a gamble, but sometimes the strategy pays off. What is the biggest typical mule deer ever killed? Access the newest seasons of MeatEater, save content, and join in discussions with the Crew and others in the MeatEater community. The buck Travis D. Johnson poached in 2017 might have been the second-biggest non-typical deer ever killed in the Lone Star State had it been taken legally. Net Score: 355 2/8 Inches. On the first day of deer hunting season, Stephen Tucker, a 27-year-old farmer in Tennessee, shouldered his muzzleloader and aimed at a whitetail with an extraordinary rack, one so . So immediately I had to make a guess as to when and how to shoot. A true monstrosity of a rack, these antlers branch out from the deers skull like driftwood, with various tines emerging from a variety of unusual places and pointing in every conceivable direction. The agency also reports hunters killed about 44,000 mule deer and 51,000 . By Mark Kenyon | Published Feb 20, 2015 1:28 AM EST. It broke the 50-year record held by the #2 Spot! The buck had only four well-worn teeth in his jaw and may have likely starved that coming winter. . The distance was right, but his position was wrong. Like Mr. Roberts above, Mr. Johnson also killed this muley buck without the assistance of an outfitter. He had a massive inside spread of 36 4/8 inches and scored 228 5/8 inches. I thought, since I could just see three points really close together, that he was a little three-point. With his International Scout (what else do you hunt Idaho mule deer with? But not every hunting season coincides with the breeding season. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. Ed left camp around 1 p.m. and followed some deer tracks. It outscores the Bond buck by an inch. 355 2/8. As the dawn started to light up a stack of his alfalfa, Herndon noticed a mule deer feasting away. That said, one safe assumption can be made: Joseph A. Garcia, the hunter who tagged the buck, either knew a thing or two about giant muleys or hunted in a pretty special area. prairie dog shooter #1632410 08/26/07. The mule deer is the largest of the Odocoileus genus, standing, on the average, 40-42 inches (100-110 cm) at the shoulders . Like any die-hard good old boy, Kirk ignored his doctors advice and took to the hills in Gem County, Idaho in 1967. When it was alive, this behemoth buck prowled Baldhead Canyon, north of Honeyville, Utah. Coleman, with his big mule deer killed on the father-son hunt on Cibolo Creek Ranch. Mule Deer fanatics will recognize the name J. Lary Barr. and scored 228 5/8?. How to Solve pii_email_4bd3f6cbbb12ef19daea Error? Lester Millers 5x5 buck is a world record in its own right. Location: Chip Lake, Alberta. FY 2020 - 92,000. In the case of mule deer, Id like to think there are two groups, one with heavy packs and one with light packs. Predators only kill the sick, weak and young, right? The shot would have to be placed high in the spine, so I pulled up my .32 Winchester Special to a firing position, waited for his head to rise so as to back up a high spine shot. The Idaho Department of Fish and Game is seeking information regarding the illegal killing of a mule deer doe in Pocatello. Robby Denning grew up in a mule deer hunting family just outside the small town of Iona, Idaho. Then he cut moose tracks, but decided to stay the course on his deer. Well, not really. The monster buck scores 258 B&C points and is 34-inches wide with eye-guards over 7-inches long. , shape and spread as the yardstick to compare one animal to another. After spotting the buck 350 yards from his perch, he moved in for a shot. springpin. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. Greg Simons of San Angelo, Texas, shot a mule deer last week that seems likely to break the Texas non-typical record. Field-dressed, it weighed 190 pounds, the biggest buck on the scales last fall at Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport. | Steve went back to Phoenix and showed his dad, who just happened to be an official Boone and Crockett measurer. Doug Burris and his cronies from San Antonio called their annual Colorado hunting trip the poor boy trip, as they share all their gear and hunting knowledge, typically venturing out on foot. The deer was officially scored for Boone and Crockett all-time records and the Texas Big Game Awards program on Jan. 11. I had only seen that expression on his face twice before. Lucky for him, it was nearing sunset. We thought the typical record has held its own for a long time. The current record for the largest typical rack belongs to a deer shot in Saskatchewan, Canada by Milo N. Hanson in 1993.