Summers played collegiately for current Cleveland Cavaliers head coach John Beilein at West Virginia where he helped lead the Mountaineers to a pair of postseason appearances. Conference tournament champion, 1986 NCAA Division I men's basketball tournament, "Bol Bol eyes potential to exceed father Manute's legacy", "20 Second Timeout: Catching Up With.Kevin Mackey", Mackey faces ouster; college official cites 'double life', "A 96-Team Tournament? I look forward to working with the team, building relationships within the community and crafting a culture of success.". The Vikings have hired Iowa State assistant Daniyal Robinson to become the new men's basketball head coach. "I have always envisioned myself coaching since I was a child," said Joyce III. He played college basketball at Indian Hills Community College and the University of ArkansasLittle Rock, then served as an assistant coach for five collegiate teams before being named head coach for Cleveland State University prior to the start of the 202223 season. This past year, the Vikings. Great news for @CSU_MBasketball, signing @coachdgates to new 6-year deal. The new contract terms will increase Gates base salary, with various opportunities to earn additional earned and discretionary performance bonuses for media appearances, team academic performance, rules compliance, and basketball success. Director of Operations. Following his career at Akron, Joyce III played professionally in Europe for 12 seasons and became the all-time leader in assists in the German league. Cleveland State Vikings men's basketball is the men's college basketball team that represents Cleveland State University. Learn more and register, College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com Blog and Articles. He will play next season at Spire Institute, according to Robinson. CSU alum. [1] Summers spent the past two seasons on the staff at James Madison and previously served as the associate head coach and compliance coordinator at Glenville State College in addition to his time as the head coach at Urbana. One of the up-and-coming coaches in college basketball, Gates signed a revised contract in May 2021 that paid him $550,000 a year and made him the highest-earning coach in the Horizon League. Gates is the 20th head coach in program history, coming to Missouri from Cleveland State University. Our program is in much better shape than three years ago. Location: Cleveland, Ohio Type: Full-time Salary: TBD Categories: Coaching Coaching - Volleyball Sector: Collegiate Sports Preferred Education: Masters Case Western Reserve University is seeking applicants for the position of Instructor of Physical Education and Assistant Women's Volleyball Coach. Gates will join the Missouri Tigers as the. Nutt, who has over 30 years of coaching experience at the Division I level, will serve as the Vikings special assistant to the head coach with an emphasis on student-athlete development. "He has great energy and a relentless work ethic. Born: January 14, 1980 Alma Mater: California (2001) As Player: 117 G, 3.8 PPG, California (Full Record) Career Record (major schools): 4 Years, 71-48, .597 W-L% Schools: Cleveland State (50-40) and Missouri (21-8) Conference Champion: 2 Times (Reg. Goldstein joins the Vikings after having served on the video coordination staff at Florida State for the past two seasons. Garrett recalled Gates being hired on July 26, 2019. [32][33], Dainyal Robinson's older brother David also played basketball for Rock Island High School, at Indian Hills, then later for the Quad City Thunder. In 1986, it became the first seed lower than 13 to win an NCAA tournament game. Division regular season and conference tournament champion Joyce III, who will also serve as the program's recruiting coordinator, brings strong ties to Ohio having played at St. VincentSt. During the 2018-2019 season, he helped lead the school to a conference championship and its first trip to the NJCAA national tournament in 30 years. CLEVELAND, Ohio When Daniyal Robinson was hired as Cleveland States new basketball coach, he touched base with the five remaining players on the Vikings roster. Cleveland State knew this, and signed him to a two-year, $300,000 contract in July 1990 (US$622,236 in 2021 dollars[9]). was an assistant coach at Iowa State University and has the unenviable task as a first-time NCAA Division I head coach of having to rebuild CSU men's basketball almost from scratch after several players followed Gates to Mizzou, graduated or moved on. My perspective as a player, and also what I learned from the great coaches I have been surrounded by, is invaluable.". Gates replaces Cuonzo Martin, who was fired March 11. The main CSU coach recruiting Pryor was Dru Joyce III, the son of Joyce II and also an assistant under Gates at CSU. "As coaches, we have to do a great job at defining what wins and what loses in this league and in college basketball in the midst of these struggles," Chris Holtmann on Ohio State's 2022-23 . Parker often started at point guard. Gates shone at CSU, anchoring one of the most successful stretches in Cleveland . Prior to joining the Vikings, Sims was the video coordinator at Northern Illinois where he worked with the coaching staff to break down film. MEN'S BASKETBALL. He also had stints as a men's basketball assistant coach at Florida State (2011-19, 2004-05), Nevada (2009-11), Northern Illinois (2008-10), Cal (2005-07), and Marquette (2003-04). Gates was also a Los Angeles Clippers skill <a . CSU and Coach Gates have agreed to a revised contract that will now run through the 2026-27 season, with the possibility that more years could be added if Gates teams meet certain on-and-off court performances incentives. Sharbaugh joined Bradley after spending two seasons as graduate assistant at Florida State on Leonard Hamilton's Seminoles staff. The nine wins also marked the program's longest winning streak since winning 12 consecutive games in the 2010-11 season. 9), 2017 NBA Draft choice Dwayne Bacon, (No. I want to thank Coach Gates for bringing me on to be his director of operations. Hes also been an assistant at Houston and Loyola-Chicago and is known to have strong recruiting ties in the Chicago area. "He is a proven winner, and proven leader. The 6-foot-6 Williams spent last season at John A. Logan (Junior) College, where he averaged 12.3 points and 6.6 rebounds. [14][15] During the 20072008 season, Robinson was an assistant coach at his alma mater, the University of ArkansasLittle Rock. Gates, who garnered Horizon League Coach of the Year honors in 2019-20, is only the second head coach in Cleveland State history to be named Horizon League Coach of the Year, joining Gary Waters (2007-08). He scored 20 and 27 points in those two semifinal games. "I have gained a wealth of knowledge through my playing and coaching career, and I believe it has prepared me to be an outstanding coach, and mentor, for the student-athletes at Cleveland State.". In his first year back at Florida State in 2011-12 the Seminoles captured the ACC title for the first time in school history. Join our linker program. Following three seasons at CSU that included a trip to the 2021 NCAA Tournament,. 45), senior Phil Cofer (No. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. As the team looks to preparations for the 2021-22 season, and a defense of the Horizon League Championship, it has recently added graduate transfers Nathanael Jack from Florida State University and Broc Finstuen from University of Pacific, while seniors Craig Beaudion and Torrey Patton have both announced that they will return to Cleveland State in their final year of eligibility. Men's college basketball coaching changes for 2022-23. Cleveland State has retired four numbers in program history. All rights reserved. CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - The Cleveland State University Board of Trustees approved updated contract terms for head mens basketball coach Dennis Gates at the May 20, 2021 meeting. Happy for Daniyal Robinson to get an opportunity to lead his own program. He worked with a collection of players that included 10 prospects with three, or fewer, years of experience including future All-Stars Elton Brand and Lamar Odom. The 2020-21 season was capped off with the programs third-ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament (1986, 2009, 2021). Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer. Cleveland State basketball news, recruiting and analysis. To Continue Reading. Both players had committed to former CSU coach Dennis Gates, who left for Missouri in March. Or write about sports? He can help us right away.. The pressure is on for Reed-Francois's move to work out. Gates was a combo guard at Cal, where the Golden Bears compiled an 83-46 record and won 20 games in a season three times. After losing Torrey Patton (graduation) along with Hodge and Gomillion (transfers), CSU desperately needs a player who is an athletic small forward. Hes a combo guard, highly competitive and can really defend, said Robinson. Mary High School in Akron with LeBron James. Mike Policastro: Director of Athletics . "The opportunity to work with Coach Gates and the CSU coaching staff is the right move as I pursue my passion for coaching. Horizon, MW Coll, Mid-Cont and Ind, Conference Champion: becomes the first CSU head coach to win 20 games in his first year leading the program. Shaker Heights product Danny Young Jr. has committed to CSU, but he's going to play next season at Spire Academy, according to Vikings coach Daniyal Robinson. [3], Mackey coached at Cleveland State University from 1983 to 1990 and posted a record of 144 wins and 67 losses. Division regular season champion Cleveland State finished the 2020-21 season with a 19-8 record, including 16 regular season conference wins, marking the most wins in league play in team history (previously 15, 1992-93 season). @Coach_D_Rob. Records vs. Ohio schools as of the end of the 20152016 school year. Prior to Mizzou, he was the Cleveland State head coach (2019-22). Also joining Gates are former Vikings Ben Sternberg and 7-foot-2 Mabor Majak, both probably as walk-ons. In 1991, he was a mid-season replacement coach for the Miami Tropics of the United States Basketball League and led the team to the title game. Nutt spent last season on the staff at Stetson after having served as the video coordinator at Florida State for three seasons. Coach Robinson was very sincere about wanting my son to be on his staff at CSU, said Joyce II. Cleveland State was a late addition to the 2019 college basketball coaching carousel as the university hired former Florida State assistant Dennis Gates to be its head coach. Gates, 42, was in charge of CSU for the past three seasons and . Terrys Talkin Podcast: Cavs, Browns, Guardianslots of good stuff, What I heard from mini-camp and about Jadeveon Clowney, NFL wants to meet with Deshaun Watson again and Browns should be concerned, Thinking about Jose Ramirez, Andres Gimenez and Steven Kwan, No matter what the vote says, NIL is eventually coming to Ohio high schools, Terrys Talkin Podcast: Lots of Browns, Cavs and Guardians talk, Hey Terry: Browns have a kicker? The Pryor story is intriguing. Hes played in a lot of big games. CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - Daniyal Robinson, a longtime assistant at Iowa State, was named Cleveland State's head basketball coach during a formal introduction on Wednesday afternoon.. Prior to 1982, Cleveland State was an independent program. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. In 2002, the Bears reached the semifinals of the Pac-10 Tournament and the second round of the NCAA Tournament. He is a phenomenal athlete, a good kid. Gates was instrumental in bringing in four consecutive top-15 ranked recruiting classes to Florida State. Im excited for the opportunity to continue to grow upon the success our program has experienced the last two seasons, while building champions in the classroom, on the court and in our community.. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). 94). More information is available online at csuvikings.com, or by calling 216-687-4848. The Seminoles established school records for overall wins in a season and ACC wins in a season. 24), junior Trent Forrest (No. The family lives with an au pair who helps get Jordan ready for school in the mornings and . Prior to rebranding from Fenn College, they were known as the Fenn College Foxes. [25][26][27], During his first stint at Iowa State with head coach Greg McDermott, Robinson was responsible for recruiting players from Chicago and junior colleges. The Cleveland State Vikings (0-1) and Cincinnati Bearcats (1-0) tangle in a Buckeye State non-conference battle at Fifth Third Arena Thursday at 8 p.m. Williams has two years of eligibility. CSU has turned to Daniyal Robinson, an assistant coach at Iowa State for the last seven years.. We are fortunate to get him.. He is a 1999 graduate of Arkansas-Little Rock and is married with three children. Right after being hired, Robinson talked to five players and convinced them to stay: Deante Johnson, Yahel Hill, Deshon Parker, Jayson Woodrich and Cole Middleton. It was some 24 years ago that Rick Stansbury won 20 games coaching men's basketball in his first year. [6], In 2009, Mackey told the New York Times that at the time of his arrest, he'd been an alcoholic for many years and had begun using cocaine shortly after the 1986 NCAA Tournament. Robinsonwas an assistant coach at Iowa State University and has the unenviable task as a first-time NCAA Division I head coach of having to rebuild CSU men's basketball almost from scratch after several players followed Gates to Mizzou, graduated or moved on. "I've seen firsthand his work ethic, his love for young people, game preparation and his masterful recruiting ability. But once the Lions lost th Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. "I have known Dru Joyce III for a very long time and have always been impressed with his understanding of the game," said Gates. He is a defensive-minded coach who excels in the areas of game preparation, analytics and player development. Cleveland State won three consecutive league games for the first time since the 2014-15 season, in addition to three straight non-conference wins for the first time since 2011-12. Oct. 18, 2022. [28][31] Following the deaths of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, and Jacob Blake, all in 2020, Robinson contacted fellow coaches across the Big 12 Conference. It was also the first postseason bid of any sort in the program's 57-year history. But Kevin Mackey, the former Cleveland State coach who brought the 7-foot-7 Bol to the United States from the Sudan in the mid-1980s, tells a different story. In addition, he created highlight packages and assisted with operations of the program. The 6-foot-9 Johnson is the only guaranteed starter on the roster. Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. Last year, his team (Logan) went to the Sweet 16 (of the NJCAA national tournament).. Following his efforts in his first season, Gates was rewarded a share . Since the 11-year run by head coach Gary Waters ended in 2017, the Horizon League Vikings have been led by Dennis Felton (2017-2019) and Dennis. CSU will include Gates over the next several months in upcoming strategic campus facilities planning, which are expected to address the future of basketball and other athletics facilities. ), 3 Times (Tourn. Pryor played three years for Joyce II. During the 2019-20 campaign, he coach Algevon Eichelberger to a spot on the All-Horizon League Third Team. He is also known for recruiting future NBA player Manute Bol. Enaruna played two years at Kansas and the last two seasons at Iowa State. (KMIZ) ESPN's Pete Thamel is reporting that Cleveland State's Dennis Gates has emerged as the target in Missouri's men's basketball search. The Vikings finished at the top of their conference for the fifth time in program history (2010-11 in the Horizon League, and 1992-93, 1985-86, and 1984-85 in the Mid-Continent Conference/AMCU). Gates replaces Cuonzo Martin, who was fired after his third losing season in five years at Missouri. "I wanted to hire a diverse and talented staff with an abundance of energy and passion for recruiting and player development. During the 2019-20 season, the Vikes saw seven league wins, the most since the 2014-15 season. Now That's Madness", "Making new memories: Cleveland State's 1986 heroes pulling hard for Vikings' NCAA success", Cleveland States Healing Begins With an N.C.A.A. Hes an athletic forward. CLEVELAND - Cleveland State University head men's basketball coach Dennis Gates announced his coaching staff this afternoon with the additions of Rob Summers, Dru Joyce III and Ryan Sharbaugh as assistant coaches, Chase Goldstein as the director of operations, Dickey Nutt as the special assistant to the head coach for student-athlete development Five years later, Cleveland State was placed on two years' probation for providing improper financial assistance to Bol and two other African players. His CSU Vikings upset the Indiana Hoosiers and the Saint Joseph's Hawks to make the Sweet 16 in the 1986 NCAA Division I men's basketball tournament. Former FSU assistant helped lead Seminoles to back-to-back Sweet 16s Cleveland State University Director of Athletics Scott Garrett is excited to name Florida State University men's basketball assistant coach Dennis Gates as the Vikings' head men's basketball coach. Conference regular season and conference tournament champion "iHeartMedia is looking forward to teaming up with the Cleveland State Vikings - the reigning Horizon League . Robinson is a native of Rock Island, Illinois,[1][2] and played basketball at Rock Island High School. 24), sophomore M.J. Walker (No. Horizon League schools as of the end of the 20202021 school year. ET. Connor Murrell. Cleveland State has won six regular season championships (1985, 1986, 1993, 2011, 2021, 2022) and three conference tournaments (1986, 2009, 2021). He and the Iowa State coaching staff began discussing several topics with Cyclones' men's basketball players over Zoom, including protests, demonstrations, and unrest that began as a result of these deaths. Copyright 2021 WOIO. Then he made two calls. [22] He continued recruiting from those areas in his second stint with Iowa State. Coach Kevin Mackey's squad, led by Ken 'Mouse' McFadden and Eric Mudd, upset Bobby Knight's 3rd seeded Indiana Hoosiers, by a final of 83-79. Conference regular season champion Who will win each 2023 conference tournament? Every Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Last Updated: Saturday, March 4, 6:03AM. I look forward to bringing my experience as a head coach to CSU and helping to build a championship culture. Following his stint with the Mountain Cats, Mackey captured three consecutive USBL Championships from 1997 to 1999, with the Atlantic City Seagulls, something no other coach in the USBL has done. Athletic Department Staff - Cleveland State Community College - Cleveland State Community College. Joyce III then joined the staff of Keith Dambrot at Duquesne. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. [12][13] Moser and three of his assistant coaches, including Robinson, were terminated in March 2007. Hes a tough kid. Its not easy when a coach leaves, especially someone like Dennis, said CSU athletic director Scott Garrett. CLEVELAND Cleveland State University head men's basketball coach Dennis Gates announced his coaching staff this afternoon with the additions of Rob Summers, Dru Joyce III and Ryan Sharbaugh as assistant coaches, Chase Goldstein as the director of operations, Dickey Nutt as the special assistant to the head coach for student-athlete development and Sean Sims as the video coordinator. What 2 needs need to be filled? From 1977 to 1983, he served as an assistant coach at Boston College under Tom Davis and Gary Williams in the early days of the Big East Conference. [12] Before the 201415 season began, Robinson was elevated to associate head coach. Gates earned his bachelors degree in sociology from Cal in just three years and played as a masters degree candidate in education during his senior campaign. But many students dont know we have a team, let alone why a group of chair-bound students sitting in front of computers count as student-athletes. In 1996, he coached the Portland (Maine) Mountain Cats to the Final Four of the USBL. 1996, Did not qualify as 9th overall in the conference. Not long after that, CSUs top two players with eligibility remaining followed Gates to the SEC school DMoi Hodge and Tre Gomillion. [3][4] Robinson then attended Indian Hills Community College for two years,[5] where he continued his basketball career,[6][7] and subsequently played for the Little Rock Trojans men's basketball team from 1996 to 1998. [email protected]. CLEVELAND Dennis Gates is off to Missouri, and with that, Cleveland State is looking for a new head coach. The Warriors held the edge on the boards, and their hustle and ball movement, along with clutch . Those of us here whom Dennis touched - and there are many - know first-hand how his values, passion, energy, and enthusiasm positively impacted everyone around him, Sands said in an email to the university community. Cleveland State has been in Division I since 1972. Missouri found its man in Northeast Ohio. On Monday, December 15, 2008, Cleveland State had their biggest regular season victory in school history, upsetting the #11 Syracuse Orange, 72-69, on a last-second, three-quarter court shot from senior guard Cedric Jackson. Gates signed a five-year contract worth $1.45 million in total base salary with Cleveland State and Stadium obtained a copy of the contract via public records request. Cleveland State. 15 ranked Oregon, NCAA East Regional3rd Round; ACC Champions, NCAA West Regional 2nd Round; ACC 2nd Place, Cleveland State University Postseason invitational champion Then he made two calls.. "I gave him his birthday because they didn't know how old he was," Mackey, now a scout with the . All rights reserved. In addition to Pryor, Robinson is bringing in four more players as part of his 2022 class. Even with the probation, Mackey still reckoned as a rising star in the collegiate ranks. So it was no surprise when Missouri hired Gates, signing him to a five-year, $16 million deal. Marshals searching for Ohio man wanted in multiple crimes, Cleveland Monsters Outdoor Classic delayed, Kent State holds off Akron in MAC overtime thriller, Closed Captioning/Audio Description Problems. Last fall, Cleveland State University rolled out a varsity esports team. Im very thankful and grateful for Cleveland State University President Harlan Sands, Director of Athletics Scott Garrett and the University Board of Trustees for their continued trust and support in me, my coaching staff and our entire mens basketball program, said mens basketball head coach Dennis Gates. Gates is the first significant hiring by athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois, who arrived at Missouri in August. He earned his Master of Science degree in Adult Education and Human Resource Development from Florida State University in 2005. YOUNGSTOWN >> For 23 minutes, the Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin boys basketball team held the momentum in a Division II district semifinal against Canfield on March 1.