It is unclear when exactly the Rebel Yell brand was created, but the whiskey has been in production since at least the early 1900s. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. The name Rebel Yell recalls the Confederacys armed forces during the Civil War. The distillery is located in Bardstown, a town known for its bourbon heritage. To me it was just a name given to a coaster, devoid of any historical or political significance. Distilled By: Heaven Hill Distillery / Lux Row Distillers, Mashbill: 68% Corn, 20% Wheat, 12% Malted Barley. Many Van Winkle fans have also embarked to find old bottles of Old Fitzgerald, Weller, and Rebel Yell so they can try some whiskey distilled when Pappy was running the business. But more importantly, we cannot white wash history (forgive that wording, please!). And I never even thought about the park changing the name. The overall effect on the palate is brief and minimal, and the taste has no unique profile. Wheat often takes a back seat, especially now with the resurgence of rye whiskey and high rye bourbon, such as Breckenridge Bourbon. And Charley said, "Well it wouldn't be proper since I sold it." Speaking of their expressions, that lineup includes an all-new whiskey, Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon 100 proof. Ive been going to this park for years but now its tainted. When compared to other whiskeys, a few drops of Bourbon can be perceived as being a little hot in a glass or a bucket. All Rebel Yell packaging has been updated toproduce a robust, uniform shelf presence forthe entire brand family. Luckily, the booze biz is a large and dynamic industry built for people with eclectic tastes. For decades before building its own distillery it sourced whiskey from other producers based in Kentucky. For the best. The Lux Row Distillery is moderately sized compared to the big boys throughout the state. Imagine how much the 'woke' folkswould flip out if they saw the old Rebel Yell labels! Home Whiskey Review Rebel Yell Bourbon. This product is available only in our gift shop, and it may not always be available in a particular size. Part of Rebel Yells rebranding effort was to market itself to more than just the south, where the whiskey was originally exclusively sold. The woke folk are going to get their pitchforks and be at Lux Row's doorstep once they catch wind of a Rebel libation. You should all be fired. It seems, though, that Rebel Bourbon still sources its whiskey from Heaven Hill as the bottle dons the statement bottled for Lux Row Distillers. Nothing about this bourbon, from a taste perspective, makes me want to willingly choose to buy a bottle. It's those quiet rebels you really have to worry about. He recounts the story of an old Confederate veteran invited to speak before a ladies' society dinner. As a no age statement or NAS whiskey, Rebel Bourbon does not disclose the age of the barrels used for each batch. Wheated bourbon tends to cause confusion, especially with newcomers to the American whiskey category. "Rebel Yell will always be Rebel Yell. Some Texas units mingled Comanche war whoops into their version of the yell. While we have an affinity for scotch, whiskey, bourbon, and IPAs, we are connoisseurs of all things alcoholic, and even dive into our feelings with wine on more than a few occasions. "He didn't bottle a great deal of it, and several years later, four or five years later he sold the brand to the Southern Comfort people, and they never used it. In the end, the ride experience is still the same. In 2019 Rebel Yell went through a rebranding effort. While I wouldnt necessarily want to buy a bottle at either price point, it makes much more sense at $13. Heaven Hill used to manufacture the 20% alcohol by volume ( (80 proof) spirit under a contract at its Bernheim distillery in Louisville. People who don't think it tastes very good refer to it as Rebel Scum. Rebel Yell Bourbon is often left out of the wheated discussion. Now that weve covered the basics, its time to get into the real reason you are here. It was taken up successively and passed around to our front, along our right and in behind us again, until it seemed almost to have got to the point whence it started. After a couple weeks of it not being restocked, I up and asked the clerk if they just weren't stocking it at that store (the one closest to me was a bit smaller than others around town) and I just wondered if I needed to go to a different store, but he looked it up and apparently they could no longer order it. This isnt to say its bad. I dont claim to speak for or represent anyone. Any straight bourbon must be aged a minimum of two years, and if it doesnt display an age statement, it must be aged at least 4 years. Changing it just seems to serve no purpose and make the park seem more bland. While he had no prior knowledge of whiskey, he did have some experience. I cant see how the purpose of the roller coaster was to teach anyone about the Civil War or the Confederacy. Awww poor baby. To me, those moves are deserving of criticisms about erasing history, but I wouldnt put a roller coasters and a monument in the same category or even in the same discussion. Confederate soldiers used the yell when charging to intimidate the enemy and boost their own morale, although the yell had many other uses. After that I casually asked at a few others stores and apparently it's the same all over town. 1965. Rebel Yell Has a Cool New Look and Two New Bourbons, Get the latest whiskey news and reviews to your inbox, recent news from Luxco, the brands owner, Whiskey Review: Watershed Barrel Strength Straight Rye Whiskey, Whiskey Review: Square 6 High Rye Whiskey, The Epicurean Adds Amarone Finish Edition To Wood Series Bottlings, Whiskey Review: Pursuit United Oak Collection Blended Straight Rye Whiskey, Whiskey Review: Redwood Empire Grizzly Beast Batch 2, Kentucky Derby Museums Secretariat Bourbon Box Set Available In A Lottery, Whiskey Review: Laws Whiskey House Cognac Cask Finished Bourbon Batch 2, Walsh Whiskey Releases The Irishman Vintage Cask 2023 Edition, Whiskey Review: Hard Truth Distilling Caramel Malt Sweet Mash Rye Whiskey, Midleton Very Rare Launches 2023 Irish Whiskey Vintage. And of course Racer refers to its ride design featuring two tracks where trains race each other throughout its hilly course. NOTHING was wrong with its name! Wed pool our money, and this guys brother would grab a cheapbottle of whiskey for us. While the connection to the Civil War was obvious, the name never bothered me. Given the differences in descriptions of the yell, there might have been several distinctive yells associated with the different regiments and their respective geographical areas. Even my 7 year old commented that racer 75 is a dumb name and both my boys still called it the rebel yell. Rebel Yell whiskey was mashed, distilled and barreled at another facility. Flanked by heavierglass bottles, premium cork closures andembossed labels, the new lineup will increaserelevance for younger audiences and createan opportunity to command a higher pricepoint. The brand has changed hands and recipes, but it is a part of American bourbon history. Thats just awful. Its the same recipe as the distillerys standard 80-proof expression, just bottled at a higher ABV. NDPs dont often disclose the source whiskey for their brands. I mean, its sister coaster, at Carowinds, is called Thunder Road (with its cousin White Lightening) Both are cultural references without making political statements. Rebel Yell is one of those old throwbacks. The 10 yr is rebranded on the desktop site. As I got older and became someone who writes about and thinks about theme parks, I did find the name a little odd for an amusement attraction given the history it was tied to. All the haters should be happy for a name change instead of losing it completely (RIP Thunder Road). Like all bourbon, wheated bourbons are still required to contain at least 51 percent corn in the mashbill. [3], Several recordings of Civil War veterans performing the yell exist. We had a fantastic time but renaming an icon like this should be done with more concern for the memories of those who grew up with those icons. The Rebel Yell brand wasnt introduced until 1950, however, by Charles Farnsley, the mayor of Louisville at the time. The company was founded in 1958 by Paul A. Ackerberg and is now run by his son, David Ackerberg. New packaging will be available nationally starting January 2015 in the 750mL bottle, followed by the 1.75L bottle rolling out in March 2015. BrokeCal, Especially for those of us from the south. Absolutely ridiculous that you are changing the name of the Rebel Yell. "Rowdy yet refined", this new look straight bourbon is the original recipe made with wheat, corn and malted barley. So, to prevent further confusion as to whether these are the same brand, weve used the name interchangeably throughout this post. (The best illustration of this "true yell" which can be given the reader is by spelling it as above, with directions to sound the first syllable 'woh' short and low, and the second "who" with a very high and prolonged note deflecting upon the third syllable "ey."). Landon Sampsell We will never go there again. This may be one of the most underappreciated wheated bourbons available. Then arose that do-or-die expression, that maniacal maelstrom of sound; that penetrating, rasping, shrieking, blood-curdling noise that could be heard for miles and whose volume reached the heavenssuch an expression as never yet came from the throats of sane men, but from men whom the seething blast of an imaginary hell would not check while the sound lasted. The companys portfolio includes a wide variety of brands, including Rebel Yell, Evan Williams, Pearl Vodka, and Everclear. My favorite coasters are B&M hypers and gigas. I think you hit the nail on the head on this. Do You Like Seeing Hyper Coasters and Giga Coasters at the Same Park? While Rebel Bourbon doesnt display an age statement on its bottle, we know its aged a minimum of 4 years. Did it hurt your feelings too? I've tried googling it to see if something had stopped the distribution or maybe a name change had occurred but so far I've turned up nothing. Rebel yell refers to a war cry of the confederates. Style: Straight bourbon Origin: Kentucky Age: 10 years Proof: 50% ABV Price: $60 Release: May 2017 Availability: Nationwide in limited amounts. For most of its existence, Luxco was a non-distillery producer or NDP which meant they did not own a distillery. QUELLERS QUARRY INCLUDE Rebel Yell, Blood Oath, David Nicholson, and Erzra Brooks Kentucky Straight Bourbons fromLuxcos distillery. Speaking of their expressions, that lineup includes an all-new whiskey, Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon 100 proof. 2 It is a borderline value brand and may not be among your first choices in bourbon selections unless you are the most ardent of bargain hunters. In his autobiography My Own Story, Bernard Baruch recalls how his father, a former surgeon in the Confederate army, would at the sound of the song "Dixie" jump up and give the rebel yell, no matter where he was: "As soon as the tune started Mother knew what was coming and so did we boys. Confederate soldiers may have imitated or learned the yell from Native Americans. Rebel Yell is a brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey owned and marketed by Luxco. With temperatures rising and the sun showing its face more and more, this time of year is perfect for a wardrobe update, and it seems Rebel Yell has caught a case of spring fever. In fact, Im kind of disappointed. The Rebel Yell is still available for purchase. Good one. As I mentioned, this was a whiskey many of us grew up drinking in high school and college, likely before we were supposed to be drinking. Shame on KD. The brand was created to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Stitzel-Weller distillery in Louisville, Kentucky, by Charles R. Farnsley, the former mayor of Louisville. Aaron joined the drinks industry in 2013. I actually went to the store today to buy some bourbon as my 1.75L bottle of Rebel Yell was finally getting low. Theres a couple things to expect from a bottom shelf whiskey. Although the recipe for the whiskey dates back to 1849, the Rebel Yell brand was registered in 1936. Rebel Yell American Whiskey tries to hedge its bets and give consumers both rye and bourbon, but it succeeds in neither respect. It works just fine in a mixed drink and actually is palatable on the rocks. Mother would catch him by the coattails and plead, 'Shush, Doctor, shush'. Over the decades, he has worked in nearly every capacity within the alcohol industry including whiskey distiller, brand ambassador, marketing manager, public relations strategist and brand consultant. We have to acknowledge and accept our past. WorldSeries2021 6 mo. The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. In 2016, construction on the brand new Lux Row Distillery was begun. I was told it was possible they were no longer making it. Even though you can definitely find some on Kings Dominions Facebook page. Tasting Date/Vessel: March 12, 2022 - Neat in a Glencairn glass Nose. The 40% alcohol by volume (80 U.S. proof) spirit was formerly produced under contract by Heaven Hill at its Bernheim distillery in Louisville . Privacy Policy. The companys brand was acquired by the David Sherman Corporation and renamed asLuxco in 1999. All bourbon will have at least 51% corn. Rebel Reserve will also be updated and now called Rebel Yell Small Batch Reserve. *(Interview with Nancy Farnsley, November 14, 1984) In the early 1980s, after some other changes of ownership following the break-up of Stitzel-Weller around 1972, the brand was purchased by the David Sherman Corporation of St. Louis, Missouri (now Luxco). According to Lux Row Distillers, the new bottle includes an embossed rounded shoulder as well as new front and back labels. Risk takers, rule breakers and noise makersunite. While Rebel Yell Bourbon was sourced at Heaven Hill Distillery for the last couple decades, Luxco opened their own distillery in 2018. Getting a little punchy here, down in the DeepSouth . etc. The yell has often been linked to Native American cries. A wheated bourbon. Just like the Big Lot Stunt Coaster is still Italian Job, the Crypt is still Tomb Raider, Drop Tower is still Drop Zone, the Racer75 will always be THE REBEL YELL! Consider this similar product. who-ey! And since there is no statement of age, we know the whiskey is almost certainly four years old. The new packaging started rolling out in April, and will be featured on all Rebel Yell expressions going forward. They recently dropped the "Yell" from the name. Katelyn is a freelance writer in Portland, Oregon. In April 2021, Luxco was acquired by Midwest Grain Processor, more commonly known in the industry as MGP. If youre looking for the cheapest whiskey to mix with a whiskey coke, Kentucky Deluxe is the way to go. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Today, were back with a whiskey that many of us likely enjoyed in high school or college, especially those hailing from southern states. Because the Lux Row Distillers facility was not operational until 2018, we can assume all or most of the whiskey in the most recent batch currently on store shelves was produced elsewhere either at a Heaven Hill distillery or another unnamed Kentucky supplier. In addition to the flagship Rebel Bourbon, there are multiple line extensions to the Rebel Yell bourbon family. The original recipe for Rebel Yell Bourbon was introduced in 1849 at the Stitzel-Weller distillery, known for using wheat in replacement of rye in the mashbill. Its not difficult. The sound of the yell has been the subject of much discussion. The Rebel Yell brand is currently produced at the Luxco distillery. There is some debate on whether or not rebel yell and rebel bourbon are the same, but many people believe that they are. They changed up the bottle in 2019, and in 2020 they transitioned to Rebel Bourbon. [2] One description says it was a cross between an "Indian whoop and wolf-howl". Vanilla, oak, dark fruits, a hint of cinnamon, citrus and notes of cocoa powder. With these changes also brought about a hike in the price. A new bottle extension for the Rebel Yell brand, Rebel Yell 100, is a wheated bourbon that has been specially distilled. Rebel Yell is a brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey produced by the Luxco distillery. Rebel Yell marketing support will increase by223% in 2015 vs. 2014 to help support thenew packaging and innovation launches. This very recipe represented a base for many famous bourbons that were later produced at the Stitzel-Weller distillery. This price point places Rebel whiskey in the low end of the standard segment. Weller company merged with the Stitzel distilling company (est. This unique style offers hints of honey and butter followed by a . (Originally published in, This page was last edited on 10 February 2023, at 16:18. While the distillery became knownfor the many famous bourbons producedthere, its wheated recipes are perhaps mostnotable for their softer, smoother taste andgraceful aging process. 1872) to form the Stitzel-Weller distilling company in 1910. The entire Rebel Yell brand has been rebranded in conjunction with the release of Rebel Yell 100. Alcohol: 50%. Well see if this changes soon now that Lux row Distillers hits the four year mark. But at $15 a bottle and national distribution, it is undoubtedly a lot easier to get your hands on a bottle of Ol Rebel.