When a rabbit lays flat on the ground with their ears spread wide on their back, the rabbit is taking a submissive position. It was an amazing summer.. Hope you best Hayley, though you probably did not find this interesting.. :). where ever I put my arm or leg out far away from my bunny comes to it and licks it. The Bunny 500 . Perhaps they are playing with you or a furry friend or are expecting a favorite treat. Read our. In some cases, theyll only rotate one ear to catch a sound coming from one direction. Keep an eye on its regular bodily functions (such as eating, exercise, pooping, and peeing habits) and take your bunny to the vet if you notice anything out of the ordinary. When rabbits get scared, they will stick their ears straight up and hold them in that position. What does bunny ears mean? She started to follow me everywhere I go! It's really cute when he lays flat out in front of me! a night-club hostess whose costume includes a rabbit-like tail and ears. the prognosis didn't look good at all as they didn't even know if he'd gain consciousness again. Alternatives to balloons and sky lanterns. This shows that your bunny feels safe enough to relax around you. I am a lifelong rabbit lover and have been specializing with rabbits at my local animal shelter. Try to avoid giving your bunny treats or sweets or you may see more begging behavior. Unfortunately, Fluffy suffered severe violent fits 23/5/20 and ended up unconscious. Likewise, their ears cover a large area (relative to their body size). Bunny ears or two erect fingers are sometimes symbolically used to mean " turn around and kiss me". Take that down!! Bunny has one ear up and the other down means he is listening to you but not very much interested. When a rabbit binkies, it leaps in the air and flips its ears around. WHY I love her but it is so weird how much she has changed in a couple days. 5. When a lop-eared rabbit rigidly swings their ears up and back a bit, this is similar to the aggressive ear signals that uppity-eared rabbits show. All rights reserved. Sometimes bunnies will greet their owners by happily running around their feet in circles. Tail raised, ears pointing upwards and slightly turned outwards. I recently adopted a dwarf bunny and he kept "poking" me with his nose and nibbling my fingers. The default rabbit ear position is upright and relaxed. He died in my moms arms but st least not alone. It will be very jelpful if you do some reading on bunny culture and language and signals etc. In the past two weeks' I have adopted a little bunny who is only just turning six months old. Bunny ears stem from the Nordic tradition of chopping off the hand of your enemy and attaching it to your helmet. Sometimes your bunny will lick and nibble your clothing or a piece of nearby fabric instead of you. When your rabbit moves or hops around, you see their ears bounce up and down with the rabbits movement since they are not being held in any particular position. I'm so glad some people wright things about rabbits, not just dogs and cats. In case of abnormal behavior and body language, visit your veterinarian at the earliest. This Is awesome I know that my little baby bunny likes me, Thanks You. If youre worried about noticing aggressive behavior in these rabbits, make sure to pay attention to the other signs. But I know I can. About BWH my two bunnies coco and nyo do all of those things! According to my 11 yr old daughter, if you give someone "bunny ears," it means you want to kiss that person. This article is accurate and true to the best of the authors knowledge. Welp my bunnies hate me lol we dont spend much time with them though, they're breeding rabbits and eventually we'll use their offspring for 4H. This is an instinctual behavior but it can be bothersome and destructive for their humans that love them. Bunnies can be quiet animals that are hard to read, but there are a few ways your pet rabbit can show you that they care about you. You can tell if your rabbit is confident if their ears are relaxed and scared if their ears are rigid and pointing. While it may seem like plucking the candy eyes off an innocent chocolate bunny may indicate a sociopathic personality, you're actually quite caring. A few months later, Fluffy, a cross-lionhead joined our family at 5 weeks and 6 days old. I've never ever heard of this. ", "It gave me some attention to learn more more stuff about my baby/bunny!". In America, it's a meaningless prank usually played on or . #15 Common Rabbit Mistakes to Avoid as A Rabbit Owner! Facial muscles are tense and pupils dilated. Holland lops can drop their ears at the first month of their age, some at the third month, and others can take 2 to years. So sorry to hear of some folks sad bunny tales. Please help. Rabbit is lying down with a fully extended, relaxed body. Thanks this was helpful for my female bunny-Sesame. At first I thought my bunny was mad at me when he softly nibbles me but he trusts/likes me!! I'm the adopted mommy of a cottontail rabbit. However, most lops will not be able to raise their ears very far, and some will not be able to lift their ears at all. Like other animals, rabbits also produce wax to keep their ears healthy. 1. Other less alarming noises include a buzz or honk noise, which can mean they are excited and is usually done while they are circling and sniffing another rabbit, and teeth grinding. Its a valuable survival feature for wild rabbits who try to figure out what direction a potential predator is coming from. My bunny seems to be fond of me, or at least very confident. Aww my bunny does all of those i cant wait to see it Im on vacation! This is a behavior that actually has a few different meanings depending on the context. Thanku for the helpful info! Check out the store for T-shirts, face masks, mugs, sweat shirts and more! Any help anyone? When riding on horse back the hands would flop around often times leaving 2 fingers up. And they not to be held abruptly by a stranger. Bangel is an unusual rabbit, she can be quite grumpy with everyone and rips up her hutch but is still friendly with me, yet Im still nervous about picking her up. Thumping can mean danger is near or that they are mad or feel threatened. I was wondering if it's possible for a bunny to smile? I make sure I feed her good amounts of food (unlimited hay and pellets, certain vegetables and fruits but don't give them too much and I don't prefer giving them collie flower) and hang out with her daily. At the same time, the rabbits tail will go up, and you might notice them jut out their chin, getting ready to bite. If your bunny is nudging his nose on its toysor on youit is because this is their way of exploring and investigating things. Some days it remotely feels like its getting better but in a day like this all I can think about is my loving bunny that died of heat. Hi rabbit girl.just be carefull when your rabbit nibbles your hair, rabbits have a habit of eating hair and it can cause furballs in their stomach which can lead to ill health..the best way to combat this is to groom your rabbit in order to limit the hair it can swallow when grooming itself and try and keep an eye on whether it is eating your hair when grooming you..you seem to have a very happy bunny who clearly loves youbut a furball does not make for a happy bunny or a healthy bunny. MissAusten ( 16157) "Great Answer" ( 2 ) Flag as It means you're 7. However, if your rabbit does this, it means that it's very happy! But sometimes she comes up to me and runs around my feet and nibbles my clothes and flolops next to me so I think she loves me. I hope she loves me and is enjoying life, but I still have doubts. Going off hay could be a sign of teeth issues as their teeth may not be able to grind the hay due to the angle they're growing or their length is too long. If it is growling, it is probably angry and afraid. We just make sure they have clean pens, food , water, hay, and little bunny salt blocks. They dont bark like dogs or meow at you when theyre annoyed. Olive oil can be put and massaged in the rabbit ears to prevent dryness. However, it's not always true. Three weeks into pregnancy, she is now a very happy bunny, I guess it's because rabbits can be grumpy and hormonal to begin with. 3. Also when do you start feeding them fruits and veggies. They may have heard a threatening sound, and theyre trying to listen closely to figure out what the danger is and where its coming from. How skinny he would look for almost 3 weeks. So I went to my cousin who breeds rabbits and I help him, as practise. During grand banquets when warriors would feast and have their portraits painted, you saw the war trophies giving the bunny ears in art of the time. "It made me more successful with roleplay. They may then refer you to an animal behaviourist. Understanding rabbit behavior and preventing and treating behavior problems. He has the run of my apartment but I'm wondering if I should get another rabbit for him. http://www.omgbunnies.com. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. Il names some thing you bunny will do if he loves and apprishiates you. Some lop rabbits have more control over their ears than others. :/, My bunny is light gray and white and her name is Oreo :). A rabbit's body language can be subtle, so it's not always easy to understand how a rabbit is feeling. You may also notice the ears sway or bob a little in this position as the rabbits hop around. If a rabbit is kicking while you are holding them then you should carefully set them down because they can hurt or paralyze their back if they kick hard enough while being held. You should also take your pet rabbit to regular checkups. Your rabbit might be standing on all fours, or theyll be up on their hind legs looking for the source of danger. RSPCA 2023. Bunny ears or two erect fingers are sometimes symbolically used to mean turn around and kiss me. I also watch videos of me and him. Telling people to feed them lettuce is irresponsible and you can cause someone to kill their pet!! Your email address will not be published. Angry rabbits will throw their ears back at a 45 angle, while spunky rabbits will shake their ears to tell you to go away. Some drop their ears in the first month of their age while others can surprise you when they are 2-3 years old. You can clean the inside of a rabbits ear using a cotton swab. Biting off the nose of your chocolate bunny is like a sweet cocoa kiss. This is a semi-relaxed pose and generally means that your rabbit wants to take a break before getting back to exercise. 3 Look for an excited bunny to shake its ears and hop. My bunny seems to nibble my hair a lot. Ears held back and lowered, tail raised, pupils dilated. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Bunny Ears on an EKG Sudden Heart Beat Increase Undiagnosed Heart Palpitations LEARN MORE ABOUT BRIGHAM AND WOMEN'S HOSPITAL For over a century, a leader in patient care, medical education and research, with expertise in virtually every specialty of medicine and surgery. Shes oblivious and hes laughing. They wont be rigid and will just be pointed in toward the rabbits body. All rabbits do things to communicate that they are happy, sad, or scared and while every rabbit is different, certain behaviors mean the same thing for most rabbits. I love my bunny and she loves me too! As mentioned, the speedy movement is sometimes followed by a boink. Does your bunny flop down and stretch out near you? For a while I thought he missed his original home and hated me. Subscribe to the Bunny Lady e-Newsletter and receive a FREE pdf guidebook going over all the basics of rabbit care. I'm raising a 4 week old kit that was abandoned. Sometimes he will wee on her when she tries to give him attention to my amusement. First few weeks we used to leave them in the hutch with the hay and when we came back to refeed (Dinner, breakfast, lunch) it was untouched. The latter will especially be true if you happen to be holding a treat that they love, such as a banana or carrot. I just need ur help and ur prayers, PLEASE!!! Rabbit is standing tense with the body down and weight towards the back, head tilted upwards, mouth open and teeth visible. If you're taking good care of your pet rabbit, there's a high chance that your rabbit loves you and likes to be around you. In summer or when a bunny is feeling hot, a rabbits body supplies the blood to his ears to dissipates the heat. Their wild cousins dig burrows for nesting and to make their homes and our house rabbits dig for fun. i just got my bunny yesterday and its licking me and gently nibbling me and my clothes and it falls asleep on me in less then 2 mins. They will raise their ears slightly and push them forward when the rabbit is curious or cautious about an object or sound nearby. Amy Pratt is a lifelong rabbit owner who has been specializing with rabbits at the Humane Rescue Alliance. a disco bunny. She was cage territorial but now I can put my hands right in her cage and get her and she will come right outta and lick me. As this breed is not created by natural selection, so we can see a variety of ear position patterns at different ages of mini lops. Make sure your rabbit has plenty of space to stay active and hop around. He will condense his body into a tight little ball, resembling a loaf of bread. My birthday was coming up, and she bought me darling Bangel, and fell in love with her, bought herself one, bred them, bought two more for breeding purposes and while she was buying Harry and Jasper of her friend, was told about a adult bunny who she had sold a year ago but had come back to her because the owner was sadly badly allergic. However, its not always true. Rabbits with floppy ears cant erect their ears in response to a threat like their upright-eared fellows. Most of the time, this is just a cursory level of alertness for rabbits. Scoop the ear wax with this cotton swab and remove it. Miss my bunny sooo much on June 23, 2019: Also I only think about what he looks like in his grave. They play a part in thermoregulation. They dont feel like there is an imminent threat that they need to be aware of, so they just let their ears hang in a natural position. You will likely see your rabbit spread out and relaxing in their favorite spot or lying down near your feet with their front paws protruding out from their body. Hi! She later purchased two from the litter, which are now my little sisters bunnies, Harry and Jasper, and noticed how well i looked after them while my Mums friend was on holiday and knew I really missed them. Fluffy used to suffer with the changes in temperature, so if it suddenly went cold overnight or extremely hot, he would possibly end up with gut stasis. just got a ne w litter of baby bunnies born named fiver junior bigears silver & s andy socute! NOISES Grunting: A grunt or a growl from your bunny signifies anger or stress. Due to their distinguished floppy ears, everyone likes to held and cuddle these cute creatures. I feed himand he loves running around my feet if i walk. Every single things makes me think oh I havent dont this since my bunny died or I havent been here since my bunny died, and I just feel like I cant get through with life. Someone who doesn't know what a binky looks like may think that their rabbit is scared and running away or that something else is wrong with them but a binky is a very normal, natural thing for a happy rabbit to do. Read on to find out how your bunny feels about you. The rabbit will continue to have rigid posture and ears until they calm down and believe the danger has passed. However, if your rabbit has upright ears normally, dropped ears may be an indication of disease, pain, or fear. Although i love them both i find it funny. My husband said our pet bunny appeared to smile at him when he saw him come into the room. The cupped shape of their ears allows them to collect sound information directionally. Teeth grinding can mean your rabbit is uncomfortable or in pain but it can also mean they are content. Once you understand this language, you will see that there are some subtle signs that rabbits give when they like you. I'm nine and I am so upset and my rabbit is dyeing I do not know how long she has left I need some advice do you know what to do help me pls. I have a bunny and I love her. Consider other body languages or sounds that might accompany it. I found out that my mum had bred Bangel one final litter before we spayed her. my bunny loves me. 3 to 4 drops of olive oil are usually applied after the removal of wax and cleaning procedure. I got really lucky because only 10% of wild bunnies survive in captivity. I love this site. He was such a sweet and loving rabbit and we had so many good memories together. Holland lops may drop their ears late in life or may not drop ears throughout their lives. Why My Holland Lops Wont Drop Ears? A bunny that is groomed, well-fed, and kept in a comfortable home will have every reason to show you affection and demand your attention. FluffyAnimalsFoLife on February 24, 2018: My bunny is crazy but I love it. Rabbits have scent glands on their face like many other animals. However, it doesnt mean that they are not able to hear as well. Make sure that your rabbit has plenty of fresh hay to munch on! Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 230,093 times. Neutering or spaying your rabbit will help to relieve any territorial tendencies but you may still hear growling if you are trying to introduce a new rabbit to your bunny. However, lop rabbits dont have dropped ears from the start and most of the lop owners want to know that when do mini lop rabbits ears drop? Rabbits binkying look a bit like a person gleefully jumping into the air and clicking their heels together. Bunnys ears are large and have a lot of blood supply. [email protected] on April 04, 2019: Rabbits CANNOT eat lettuce. Thanks! Required fields are marked *. This is a position your rabbit uses . She is trained as a Fear Free Certified Professional to prevent and alleviate fear, anxiety, and stress in pets. Rabbits are social and while most people who have never owned a rabbit have never heard a rabbit make a noise you can rest assured that they have their own vocabulary to tell us and each other how they feel. That being said, there are some body language cues that rabbits give out when they're happy. It can take few weeks to few months for a lop rabbit to get his floppy-eared look. He loved his nose being stroked and would take it in turns in licking my hand or nudging me to stroke his nose. just recently he has been nibbling me when I put him on the sofa and I always wondered why but after reading this website I now know that it is foe a good cause!!! How much fun together we were having. What Does It Mean When A Bunny Has One Ear Up And The Other Down? Get expert advice to help your pet live its best life, 10 Sounds That Rabbits Make and What They Mean, 9 Best Kicker Toys for Cats for 2023, Tested and Reviewed, My Adoption Story: A Bunny for the Holidays, Rabbit Urine Color: What Pee Can Tell You About a Rabbit's Health, Understanding rabbit behavior and preventing and treating behavior problems. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. These are excellent tips on August 04, 2012: There isn't much more satisfying then having a rabbit that loves you. This is also why its essential to take your rabbits whole body language into consideration. Theyll lift their ears and make a happy buzzing sound. This behaviour may also be caused by confusion. Growling is another noise that you may hear if you have a territorial rabbit or if they are angry or stressed out. My bunny Marshmallow does all the things listed up above she is my favorite thing in my life! He would often rub things with his chin, e.g Christmas tree branches, my slippers, and would nudge our hand or foot for attention. The inside of the ear will also be turned back and down, and you may hear your rabbit growl. You will probably see your rabbit freeze and point their ears up to listen. Like the way humans immediately look to see any movement in the room, rabbits will instinctively move their ears around to catch any noise. For many breeds of rabbits, the ears will naturally be close together and touching when they are relaxed like this. I'm wondering if he is lonely. Hi Hayley just convince her how easy they are to keep or show her how well you can look after something else. These relaxed ears imply that the rabbit is generally happy and comfortable. If you hear growling you should separate the rabbits because a growl is an indication that a fight or other type of aggressive behavior may occur. You can also give your rabbits leafy green vegetables, such as lettuce and spinach, and carrots or other root vegetables sparingly as a treat. ), My brother keeps freaking out bc my bun loves feet and my brother thinks that he's going to bite him, but all he does is chin. Bunny-ears definition: A hand gesture in which the index and middle fingers are raised and parted, while the other fingers are clenched, used behind the head of a subject of a photograph . Advertise here for $5/day Kissing the bunny between the ears Look at other body language cues to verify if your rabbit seems to be resting or agitated. Oh yes I forgot to mention that I have a dog. and the next thing I knew I had a stinging chest and found tiny tooth mark there. My daughters bunny will run up to the cage and poke its nose out whenever i walk by, does this mean it likes me or wants something? Fluffy was the most gorgeous bunny with a lovely nature. They can swivel one of both ears in the direction of nearby sounds when they are curious or trying to pay attention. Yes, rabbits need their ears to be cleaned regularly. Sweet! If your rabbit has ever run around the room as fast as they can as though something is chasing them then you've witnessed the bunny 500. Growling, a raised tail, and a jutting chin are other signs of aggression that lop-eared rabbits will show in their body language. Sometimes rabbits get aggressive out of fear, and the rabbit is scared of you or whoever is approaching. If you like, you can mimic this motion by flipping your hair around to show your bunny that you're happy too. Rabbits may give you an innocent nip to get your attention but they can also bite to show dominance, out of fear, or to say they don't like something/someone. Does that mean she really loves me? Another common position you will see in lop-eared rabbits who have greater mobility is known as airplane ears. Follow the Bunny Lady and her bunny partner Elusive and they seek to educate rabbit caretakers and make sure everyone is able to have a happy and healthy bunny in their home. My 8 week old male bunny pees in me all the time..why, my bun does all of these the feeling is mutual :3, i had a white/gray rabbit and she was named ocean i loved her so much and the bad news is she passed away. Registered charity no.219099. Repeat this twice or thrice to clean the ear completely. Rabbit ears that are flat back with a relaxed body just mean the rabbit is resting. If you are concerned about your pet's behaviour, contact a behaviour expert. Do Some Holland Lops Take Longer To Drop Their Ears? Mini lop rabbits can drop their ears as early as4 weeks of age and most of the individuals start at 10 to 12 weeks of age. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. When a rabbit binkies, it leaps in the air and flips its ears around. Some noises are very obvious such as screaming. . I wasnt even there to say goodbye to him. A good place to start is to look at your rabbit's ears. If you see your bunny shake its ears and start hopping around, know that it's excited and eager to play. This is an insight into the life of a bunny owner using the experience of having a beautiful, affectionate and playful little boy for almost 10 years. The people with bunny ears emoji is widely used by women to indicate that they are having a good time or going out with close girlfriends, e.g., "Girls' night out!." Do bunny ears mean turn around and kiss me? They feel safe and content. Since rabbits dont make many sounds (they can make some soft sounds), they rely primarily on their body language to express their mood and needs. hey babe why dont u and me go back to my house? kiss the bunny between the ears too kiss the tip of a males penis usually used during hollidays such as easter. Hi. The rabbit will put their ears against their back to indicate that they are very relaxed and dont see any need to pay attention to their surroundings. To read bunny ear signals, check to see if your bunny's ears are lying down on its head and intersecting at the back, which is a sign that it's happy and content.