French Fry Day promotion. Record crowds estimated in excess of 40,000 packed the streets (according to the Reading Eagle) to taste some of the best, most creative hamburgers around. National French Fry Day. West reading french fry fest, by west Reading Tavern This year it's topped and loaded with inspiration and exploding with chances to win! 400 Bayshore Drive Northeast. It wasnt long before they were finishing in the oven offstage and the pineapple croquettes (not sure this was their official name, but its the best way I can describe them) were being dropped in the fryer. 2022 Lamb Weston, Inc. All rights reserved. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. 10 lucky winners will receive a grand I knew that I wanted to try one more burger before I left. The WOW Wagons poutine burger was the one that both Julie and I had circled when we saw the list. 2018 Taste of Hamburg-er Festival Contest Winners, Appearance: SpudsTaste: SpudsOriginality: Spuds, Appearance: Boy Scout Troop #184Taste: Leesport Lodge #141 I.O.O.FOriginality: Salem Church, Appearance: Blazing Swine BBQTaste: Blazing Swine BBQOriginality: Wow Foods, LLC, 1st Place: Deitsch Eck Restaurant2nd Place: Dawns Deli3rd Place: Christ Evangelical Free Church4th Place: Salem Church. back-of-house operations. Grove) hosted the first annual Berks County Taco Fest. chances to win! This was my second time judging an Iron Chef competition, having bid on and won a judges seat at Hamburgs Iron Chef competition in 2016. loved a bigger burger patty. McDonald's program has surpassed 26 million members since its launch a year ago as one of several important digital initiatives for the company. Candys The Hitching Post earned first place with its filet Mignon crostini. So we had to fill out our individual scorecards and hand them off to a volunteer to tally up the totals. One lowlight, and I hate to point these out, was Mikura. Instead we did a double order of cochinita The secret ingredient really worked in Chef Tims favor here because the caramel added a perfect amount of sweetness. Instead, we started our tasting session at the Comalli When I got there, I saw that I could order either corn on the cob or a cup o corn that could be topped with pulled pork. When you sign up youll also get It didnt hurt that they sweetened the deal with a chocolate mousse from their Pastry Studio. more of Dawns festival creations. The toppings were overloaded and fell out of the bun, but what remained were good. West Reading Tavern Visit West Reading Phoenix, Arizona Apr 09 2022 - Apr 09 2022 Price: $10 Rent an RV The FRIED French Fry & Music Festival is a celebration of all things fried and delicious with an emphasis on french fries. Like McDonald's, Wendy's recently reformulated fries are only free if ordered through its app and customers have to be part of the brand's digital loyalty program. The first 500 operators and 0. Awards reception on Friday, June 16th. I went with the standard while Julie I will definitely have to pay a visit to the restaurant sometime. National French Fry Day 2022 is Wednesday, July 13. I could have eaten just the bruschetta with the bun and been happy. It was like nothing that I have ever tried before. What looks like chaos from the outside is actually a well-planned strategy as chefs and sous chefs have to time everything perfectly to ensure their proteins and sides all are finished on time without finishing too soon to avoid serving the judges cold food. A $500 donation to the Wilson Education Foundation later, and I was on stage sharing a table with Brad Weisman, former host of Best Bites on BCTV and current co-host of Heres Whats Happening, a Facebook Live show from The Peoples Chronicles. Each restaurant will feature delicious varieties of french fries, plus beverages. together. Host Bistro 614 Restaurant Bistro 614 614 Penn Ave, West Reading, PA Farm inspired continental cuisine in the heart of West Reading, PA Guests See All 39 Went 92 INTERESTED Visit. While I love their food, the General Tsos chicken was cold and the sweet and sour chicken was served with no sweet and sour sauce (which, by definition, makes it just chicken). These have become favorites of us, and our first taste of them came just a few years ago at the West Reading Farmers Market. Editors Note: The PA BBQ Fest has moved to Jim Dietrich Park in Muhlenberg Township. Why was it so great? It was also filling, and helped calm Julies hunger until we found the burger she was looking for. p.m.). to the grilled cactus, it also was topped with pico de gallo and fresh avocado. Venture outside the festival to find some of downtown Readings best dining. We had also bought a tinga taco, hoping that our All images are the sole property of BridgeTower Media and no rights are granted for any use without the express written consent of BridgeTower Media. Ask picked at random towin It was even better when mixed with the fresh salsa. Thanks to the support of our community + West Reading merchants, we were able to raise over $2,500 in 2022 for the West Reading Community Revitalization Foundation, a 501(c)3 that supports the West Reading Community. Every week, two topped & time to join! Festival Results They were filled with a pineapple, mango and cranberry filling that I absolutely loved. There were Cali burritos with fries, French fry tacos, and even pizza fries. Some restaurants were sharing tents, and with vendors lining both sides of the street, lines were running into each other, making it nearly impossible to walk around. It came down to two choices: a gyro burger from Scotts Gyro Box or a shepherds pie burger from the Hamburg Diner. Live Music returns in May 2023 from 6 8pm! We got a sample of their pulled pork, something that we have tasted many times before at similar events. From my judges seat, I had a birds-eye view of Chef Tim at work. As the name implies, the potatoes were deep-fried in duck fat oil, giving them a much richer flavor than a traditional vegetable oil fry. The event benefits Downtown Phoenix Inc., a community group that works to make Downtown Phoenix a vibrant, world-class city. Brand New App to watch all of WFMZ-TV News and Syndicated Programing 24/7 on your Streaming App enabled TV. The gravy was the best part for me, but I have to say, biting into a burger with a cheese curd on top is a trulyunique experience of taste and texture. When I was a student at Kutztown University, the Pub wasnt much to speak of. That was the big question in West Reading on Saturday. Normally served on the cob, Krazy Korn is corn smothered in mayo, parmesan and Cajun seasoning. The fresh corn tortillas brought everything together nicely. win cool merchandise for your ready yet, including Taqueria Los Rancheros. Their chef prepared steak and salad with a chocolate sauce atop the steak and dark chocolate morsels in the salad. He and his sous chef went right to work on the pork and the butternut squash (which had to get boiling for the mash they were creating). Our Sunday Market features the very best in locally grown produce, sustainably raised meats and farm fresh eggs, artisan baked goods, value added products made with locally sourced ingredients and more. Other restaurants in attendance included Nonno Albys, which was still preparing the chili for its chili cheese fries when we arrived; Go Fish!, who had fries with crabmeat; and Relish, the West Reading hot dog restaurant, was offering a hot dog topped with yucca fries and avocado aioli. Julie is, but this burger was a masterpiece. Customers can get a free side order of fries with the purchase of a burger or sandwich through the Wayback Burger app. "It helps speed up the drive-thru, helps drive order accuracy, helps with quickness of payment and then ultimately provides a lot of benefit for us over time as we get all that information to better connect to our consumer on a one-to-one basis," said Wendy's CEO Todd Penegor on the call. Aug. 15The fifth-annual West Reading French Fry Fest didn't miss a beat on Saturday after last year's event was canceled due to COVID-19. Last but not least, defending Iron Chef champion Chef Mike Martino from Adelphia Seafood brought shrimp wrapped in mocha-rubbed bacon. It was cooked perfectly tender, juicy and all of the other adjectives that you use to describe well-crafted beef. The flapjack was something I was really looking forward to. $2,000 and loads of Customers can get a free large order of fries when ordering on the restaurants app. How to do some spring cleaning on your smartphone, What the Tech? topped with cheese, Turkey Syrup and powdered sugar. Yes, please. But the restaurant is all-new from the place I remember and now barbecue is the focus of the food menu. Finally, my attention turned to the griddle that was set up on the prep table and the pancakes that were taking shape (and the cooking oil that kept dripping off onto the table). The one that caught my eye was the Karen Haak Fastnacht Our top ten favorite restaurants weve tried and reviewed in nine years of Berks County Eats. To make it worthy of a burger festival, sliced hamburger patties replaced gyro meat as the dishs protein. FRIED presents some of the Valley's most creative culinary talent and showcases their versions of gourmet French fries. You have permission to edit this article. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. One of my favorite events of the year, the PA BBQ Fest in Leesport offers a chance to sample some of the finest barbecue restaurants, vendors and food trucks from Berks County and beyond. Wondering if Fry Tour 52. This years competitors included defending champion Chef Mike Martino (Adelphia Seafood), past champion Chef Tim Twiford (Redners) and last years Peoples Choice winner Chef Mitchell Kriebel (Gourmand). So after all of the indulgences, I ended with a stop at Good Life Organics and a taste of some better-for-me foods. As I may have mentioned earlier, I am not a fan of seafood. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). recipe on Instagram or Facebook. For example, on Tuesday Wendy's customers can get free medium fries with any salad purchase. Fastnachts are heavier than the glazed doughnuts here in Berks County throughout the year. Facebook. The 20-plus participants included Frites St., The American Poutine Co., the French Me truck, Chula Seafood, Hibachibot, Handlebar Diner, Los Compadres, Sr. Ozzys, Provecho, Dang Brother Pizza, and Trapp Haus BBQ. It gave the burger a different flavor, almost making it sausage-like, but not as flavorful as the chorizo. pibil tacos. Want to know where and what to eat this weekend? Best of all, it was served in a to-go cup with a handy compartment for my aioli so I could eat and walk without worry. After that, we were a little more selective. Instead, we trekked back down the hill to Video Burger, a mobile food truck specializing in the outrageous. I went for the West Reading Tavern and their duck fat fries. the festival stayed busy well into the evening. I loved it. French Fry Festival is today! Topped with a shot of barbecue sauce, it was stellar. We're ready for you and some Shaving Cream Art from 12-6pm Happy French Fry Festival everyone! Sweet and savory is always a good decision in my book, and I loved it here. for the Deitsch Ecks Luther burgers at the festival) so it was a little But as soon as I saw that they were serving a chorizo burger, I knew the caterer would be my first spot. https://www.readingeagle.com/2022/08/13/even-small-frys-are-big-fans-of-west-reading-french-fry-fest/, Hundreds are flocking to West Reading for the sixth annual French Fry Festival, Show Your Support for the Republican Party with These Must-Have Merchandise Items, Maintenance Tips for Industrial Refrigeration Equipment, Business Career Tips for Aspiring Entrepreneurs and Experienced Veterans, The public is concerned about increasing security costs, Crestwood School Board extends Milazzos contract for 2 years, A Pittsburgh photographer is celebrating a little-known Native American art form with a new book, A single working mother is grateful for help this holiday season, Country star Scotty McCreary will perform in Lancaster next spring; heres when tickets go on sale | entertainment, Nets have 4-game skid with win over Pacers Reading Eagles, Jack McCaffery on the Philadelphia Phillies spending on Noah Syndergaard, Iron Maiden artist Derek Riggs to perform at Record Connection in Ephrata | entertainment, Fiamma Italian Grill to reopen after fire, Philly Teachers Bring Affirmative Street Signs to West Philly | Way of life.