A-Gon Goes a-Golfing 19 of 20 Just when we thought we had seen everything from Adrian Gonzalez, here he is hitting the longest home run in the history of PetCo Park, a ridiculous pitcher's. This memorable blow was knocked down at a linear distance of approximately 415 feet and an altitude of 85 feet. That list is topped by the legendary Josh Gibson, and includes George "Mule" Suttles, Norman "Turkey" Stearnes, and John Beckwith. So who really did hit the longest home run ever? Houston Astros Jake Marisnick hit a 469-foot home run to center field off Boston Red Sox pitcher David Price on June 18, 2017. Reggie Jackson, Oakland Athletics outfielder - 539 feet, Tiger Stadium. Nomar Mazara, who played for the Rangers, held the longest home run . In 1932, the muscular "Double X" almost equaled Ruth's season record of 60 home runs. I saw Jason Rooftop Thompson hit one out of Tiger Stadium over right center field off of Dick Tidrow of the Yankees. I was in desperate need because of a upcoming event to make purchase I could get same day while searching for the item I quickly realized there wasn't just limited availability of the item but very limited locations in Metro Detroit i could purchase the item. I'm here to drive home runs. Dock Ellis was the pitcher, and Jim Palmer is among those who. St. Petersburg, Fla. Ruth was getting ready for his penultimate season when he drilled a spring training pitch off a hotel on March 25, 1934. When gargantuan Frank Howard hit a mighty home run off Robin Roberts in Philadelphia on September 1, 1958, the next great tape measure home run career was initiated. Based upon that belief, this drive has commonly been estimated at about 620 feet if left unimpeded. The drive to left had an exit velocity of 109 mph, according to Statcast, and reached the base of the brick wall behind the left-field seats. Also I remember that it was thought to be a greater fete to hit one over the left field roof than in right field. Ruths big fly that day escaped onto a bluff outside the prison, 620 feet from home plate. The ball struck the facade on the right-field roof approximately 370 feet from home plate and 115 feet above field level. I thought I saw Tony Clark hit a monster on the roof, but Im so old my memory is shot. Top 10 Tigers homers of the decade. Dismiss, Copyright 2022 Vintage Detroit Collection, Spinnaker Center, 44692 Helm St, Plymouth. I placed an order and received a follow up call within 24 hrs due to item was not available. Whats the longest home run in every MLB stadium heading into the 2022 season? There should be no doubt about the authentication of these conclusions. The rules of baseball were made and refined by men; they have limitations. Windy days at Wrigley are the best. In truth, that figure derived from the distance from home plate to the place where a neighborhood child retrieved the ball. On a 499-foot blast, Barry Bonds hit the longest home run at Oracle Park. The Big Unit put this pitch on the outer half of the plate, and McGwire still pulled it to the back wall of the Kingdome. The steel and concrete of the Twins former home amplified every contact. It is for that reason that home run hitters have always been and always will be the most popular players. the Nearest to me was Vintage. The pitch came from Chicago Cubs righty pitcher Francis Beltran. Ted Williams' most famous home run was his last, No. Reggie came off the bench in the 1971 Midsummer Classic and golfed a ball off Pirates righty Dock Ellis that traveled an estimated 530-some odd feet. That homer was officially estimated at 481 feet, one foot farther than the longest hit by a Twin at the Dome, Kent Hrbeks homer hit to straight-away right field Sept. 9, 1984. On September 30, 2017, New York Yankee Aaron Judge hit a 496-foot home run to left-center field off of Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Marcus Stroman. By looking back, we can confirm the preoccupation with long-distance hitting in the early stages of baseball history. On April 4, 2001, Tampa Bay Rays third baseman Vinny Castilla hit a 478-foot home run to left field off of Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Joey Hamilton. In the years he played for his hometown team, Kirk Gibson frequently displayed his power. McGowan didnt bother looking. As I approached the area I quickly realized I was in more an industrial & commercial area then retail. These unidentified individuals based their calculations on the assumption that the ball traveled completely over the left-center-field roof. The blast had an exit velocity of 111.6 to right-center field. Sadly, the COVID pandemic denied fans the chance to marvel at this drive in person, save for the few fans enjoying dinner atop the Detroit Athletic Club across the street. Privacy Policy If he had the power to clear the roof by over 100 feet, he surely would have cleared it marginally on many occasions. Ruth played during the height of American's newspaper culture, when approximately 10 New York papers gave first hand accounts of each Yankee game. Extremely satisfied with the wonderful personable service! Detroit Tigers J.D. Home runs in MLB arent as hard to come by as they used to be. The exact date is unknown. Mike Piazza at Coors Field (Sept 26, 1997), skyscraper in Game 2 of the 2002 World Series, Cecil Fielder at Tiger Stadium (Aug. 25, 1990), physicist from Montreals McGill University. The baseball traveled past the flag pole located in deep center field, over the head of Charles Chick Shorten, over the lower deck, which undoubtedly had only a smattering of fans, and out onto the street. In 1921, major league teams averaged 59 home runs. Have Your Own Jersey? Mantle hit the facade on two or perhaps three occasions, but never cleared it. The 22-year-old, who was called into England camp under Eddie Jones, fell awkwardly after being tackled by Tommy Reffell and injured his leg. J.D. The seat later was painted bright orange to stand out in the sea of green seats and remained there until the old Met was torn down after the Twins moved to the Metrodome in 1982. Simply clearing the first row of shrubs beyond the center-field fence is a big deal. On July 1, 1990, Kansas City Royals outfielder Bo Jackson hit one of the longest home runs in Kauffman Stadium history against Jack Morris and the Detroit Tigers. I also saw Reggie Jackson with the As strike out about 3 times late in the 1969 season at Tiger Stadium. It was the 485th home run of his career. In case you're not familiar with it, Jackson hit what I believe is the longest home run of my lifetime, and I've been around a while. I told Bob Casey about the cover we put on the seat to commemorate the home run, Mee said, and he was telling the fans over the loudspeaker as Killebrew was coming up to bat. Boucher of Albany, June 9, 1946, when Ted Williams of Red Sox bounced his longest Boston home run off owner's head. The home run had an exit velocity of 116 mph and was Zuninos 12 homer of the season. The same process was at work for Mantle on September 10, 1960, in Detroit, where his right-center-field rooftopper was reported to have traveled more than 600 feet. document.write(update); And, how far did it go? In returning the discussion to Babe Ruth, it can be said that he defies rational analysis. On the first strike out , he threw his bat, so the fans were booing loudly, and banging the wood seats each time he came up to bat! On September 25, 2020, Atlanta Braves outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr., hit a 495-foot home run to left-center field off Boston Red Sox pitcher Chris Mazza. Yon Moncada, April 19, 2019 (458 feet)The ball doesnt normally carry well at Comerica Park during cold weather early in the season, but Yon Moncadas drive off Jordan Zimmermann had no regard for the 40-degree temperature at first pitch. I read that the ball nearly hit a police car on Trumbull ave.That is the longest HR i ever witnessed in person. It has been confirmed that the ball struck against the third house beyond Waveland Avenue, which is situated about 530 feet from home plate. Reggie Jackson was the player who hit one over the right field roof while playing for the California Angels during the May 15, 1984 game at Tiger Stadium. Chicago White Sox right fielder Joe Borchard hit a 504-foot home run to right-center field off of Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Brett Myers. The 2021 Home Run Derby begins at 7:00 p.m. Almost everyone in attendance believed that the ball was still rising when it was interrupted in midflight by the roof structure. His most impressive, though, may have been . Before he retired after the 1973 season, he had performed even more extraordinary feats of long-distance hitting in the junior circuit. The trajectory had it coming near me but it just never came down inside the ballpark! Report and free match highlights from the Sky Bet Championship match between Hull City and West Brom at the MKM Stadium. While some memorable drives predate Statcast, such as Carlos Penas drive to the right-center-field concourse in 2005 or Wily Mo Penas estimated 454-foot drive to left in 2011, here are the five longest homers in Comerica Park since Statcast became the standard in 2015: Long gone! But baseball has been around way longer than that, obviously. Thats 59 home runs for each team for the entire season. This home run was hit at Tiger Stadium in Detroit on September 10, 1960. TheNew York Post called it his longest-ever home run.. The Twins use the same chart today. 3. Enjoy the dingers. And yet, everyone in attendance was apparently moved to awe and admiration by this single event, which resulted in the scoring of the lone run. The best effort on the part of either player was Canseco's famous blast into the fifth level at Toronto's Sky Dome during the 1989 American League playoffs, which was estimated at 484 feet. however, subsequent investigation indicated that the ball landed on the back of the roof before bouncing into the night. How long will it take the next Olympic champion to run the 100-meter sprint? Reggie Jackson's 1971 All-Star homer off the transformer atop Tiger Stadium's rightfield roof is one of the most famous long shots. BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - SEPTEMBER 26: Aaron Judge #99 of the New York Yankees at bat during the top of the first inning of the game against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on September 26, 2021 in Boston, Massachusetts. A short while later I left with a new cap and a custom Fidrych T-shirt. 452 Feet - Eric Davis (While playing for the Detroit Tigers) hit a 452 foot shot on Sept. 26th 1993. 4. Editors note: This story was originally published on June 29, 2006. That afternoon, facing Ty Cobb and the Tigers, Ruth smacked a pitch so high, so far, that the baseball must have looked like a distant star to the sparse crowd of about 3,000 who were in Navin Field, which is what the ballpark later known as Tiger Stadium was known as then. Probably well over 600 feet in total. Griffey shared center stage the following year in Pittsburgh with Frank Thomas, as the two men took turns bombarding the upper decks at Three Rivers Stadium. Friday 3 March 2023 21:59, UK. & quot;According to the Detroit Free Press book "The Corner", the following have hit HR's out of Tiger Stadium: Norm Cash (did it 4 times) Mickey Mantle (did it 3 times) Kirk Gibson (did it 3 times) Jason Thompson (did it twice) Mickey Tettlton (did it twice) Tony Clark . Also ranking among the elite during that decade were Greg Luzinski, Dave Kingman, and George Foster. I measured it at 435 feet, said Tom Mee, longtime Twins public relations man and official scorer. Where what happened yesterday is being preserved today. From a functional standpoint, it makes no difference by what margin a ball clears a set home run barrier. I swear one of the Angels hit one either on or over the roof in 84 or 85. It may be appropriate to cite another example of this same optical illusion. I ended up buy a very nice winter Tiger jacket and as I tried it on and decided on it they noticed a very minor blemish on the back and quickly informed me I had a hard time even seeing it & probably would have never noticed it. Glenallen Hill - 500 Feet. Detroit Outfielder Cullenbines Skills Were Ahead of His Time, Jon Warden made the most of his one season with Tigers, The longest home runs hit at Tiger Stadium in Detroit. In 1921 there was no SportsCenter, no 24-hour highlight machine called the Internet. Local Springsteen fans bemoan spiraling ticket prices to see the Boss, Boys section hockey: Mahtomedi breaks away late from Chisago Lakes to earn state tourney return, Wild say goodbye to Jordan Greenway to jump start busy day of trades, Three St. Paul teachers among 33 semifinalists for MN teacher of the year, State wrestling: Simley ties program-record mark with fifth straight Class 2A crown, St. Louis Park man killed cousin, local chef outside St. Paul funeral reception, charges say, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. Along with Roger Connor, the longest hitters in the early days of the major leagues during the 19th century included such men as Harry Stovey, Buck Ewing, Jocko Milligan, and Ed Delahanty. Chicago Cubs right fielder Sammy Sosa hit a 484-foot home run to left-center field on April 12, 2002. Advertisement That puts it up there with legendary home runs from the likes of Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle. That ball that Killebrew hit, Oliva said, it was unbelievable someone could hit the ball that far.. This was his first game since 17 September, when he . Top 10 Tigers homers of the decade. The people there are awesome and they clearly don't get much walk in business however they know their product while intending in only buying one jersey I walked out with much more! Allen was consistent, hitting 17 home runs for the Cardinals at home and 17 on the road. The same home runs that had once been described as 500 footers were now being scientifically calculated in the 450-foot range. Duke came out on top in the first game at Cameron Indoor Stadium, part of their perfect record at home. One might say the Reds fans sitting up there werent expecting a home run souvenir that day, but then again, they were already plenty familiar with Wily Mos work. Tiger Stadium was famous for its low roof and a few players have hit balls completely out of the ballpark, but Jackson's 532-foot home run stands as one of the longest on record. Martinez last season -- a ball that traveled 466 feet and ended up on top of the camera well in center field. One other aspect of misrepresentation should be explored. Dozens of players have peppered the left field roof at batting practice, though. 5. His regular bombardment of the left-field roof at Tiger Stadium has not been approximated in the 60-year history of that structure. Wow. The homer that traveled to center field with an exit velocity of 113.2 mph, and was Martinezs 13th home run of the season. Since this home run was the only one that ever cleared those bleachers during decades of major league and Negro League competition, it is genuinely deserving of recognition. 4. Though its difficult to get an official handle on home run distances, the clout would rank, by any measure, among the longest of all time. Bob Cerv's Hrs were from both KC Blues and A's. His longest measured at 528' was when' he was with the A's. Mantle's to extreme right field in the cluster was on the porch roof of a house and 43 feet above the playing field in BP. photo source: sabr.org In Hollywood, California, Dierker was born. Detroit Tigers pitchers and catchers went through drills and a bullpen session during Spring Training Tuesday, February 14, 2023. Tampa, Fla. Ruth was wearing a Red Sox spring training uniform when he drove a 587-foot round-tripper on April 4, 1919 in Tampa. Thankfully, we gathered the information for you. Well, the whole Yankees roster did in 1929 for an exhibition against Sing Sing Correctional Facility inmates. While unconfirmed by the Tigers, it might've been . The great Honus Wagner is said to have hit a drive of comparable length at the Polo Grounds, and Sam Crawford was credited with a 473-foot home run in Detroit. The longest home runs hit at Comerica Park January 7th, 2021 Jason Beck @ beckjason Comerica Park is big enough all around that there are no cheap home runs. Almost everyone in attendance believed that the ball was still rising when it was interrupted in midflight by the roof structure. J.D. On July 21, 1915, as a rookie with the Boston Red Sox, Ruth struck a prodigious drive that sailed far over the rightfield bleachers at Sportsman's Park in St. Louis. We naturally like to quantify any phenomenon that interest us. He is also the author of"Root for the Home Team: Minor League Baseball's Most Off-the-Wall Team Names.". Yet again, we have an example of a genuinely epic home run that has been grievously overstated. Cecil Fielder of the Detroit Tigers is credited with powering a ball 502 feet in the air over the left-field bleachers at Milwaukee's County Stadium on September 14, 1991. She is very accommodating and made me feel at home, especially since I was unaware they don't operate a standard retail shop. Here, in no particular order, are 12 absolutely massive homers we wish came under Statcast tracking. Martinez hit a 467-foot home run off of Seattle Mariners Taijuan Walker on July 21, 2015. by Richard Bak on January 4, 2012. On June 3, 2001, Boston Red Sox left fielder Manny Ramirez hit a 491-foot blast to left field off of Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Chris Carpenter. It is a scientific fact that if Mantle, or anyone else, had sufficient strength to hit a ball that was still traveling upward when it met the towering facade, he would also have enough strength to clear that same facade by a distance of at least 100 feet. Out of class C ball, hits 'em both ways, five-hundred feet both ways! On May 4, 2018, Washington Nationals Bryce Harper hit a 473-foot home run to center field off Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Nick Pivetta. The distance of the home run has been estimated at up to 575 feet (175 m). This feat was accomplished at a time before home runs were hit with enough frequency to be considered a regular part of the game. TAMPA, Fla. - The No. When Mickey Mantle cleared the left-center-field bleachers at Clark Griffith Stadium in Washington on April 17, 1953, the entire baseball world was lead to believe the ball had traveled 565 feet from home plate to the point where it landed. Inside Jim Flinn's memory, May 11, 1969, is a web of fuzzy details, a kaleidoscope of greens and grays, aside from the moment that couldn't be more clear.