Check to compare Smith & Wesson 629 44 Mag Revolver 4" Barrel. Feedback Score. Smith & Wesson I own and carry a 340 on a regular basis, got mine when the model came out. WTS Smith and Wesson 340PD. Nevada Department of Wildlife, State Agency: Guns Listing ID: 54030The Smith Wesson 340PD is a small double-action only J-frame revolver popular for concealed carry and for use as a backup weapon for law enforcement. Mrgunsngear Channel 779K subscribers Join Subscribe 5.3K 167K views 2 years ago We head out to the range with the range with the Smith &. In close, the Big Dot comes on target as fast as Express sights. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. The Scandium frame and the Titanium cylinder come together to create something very special. As a pocket gun they are great, but I always prefer something that starts with a 44 or 45 & 357. Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism, State Agency: Having always had a passion for firearms, Rusty S. has had experience in gunsmithing, firearms retail, hunting, competitive shooting, range construction, as an IDPA certified range safety officer and a certified instructor. The first was Buffalo Bores Low Flash, Low Recoil 158-gr. Because 1952 was the year in which S&W celebrated its 100th birthday, the revolver was dubbed the Centennial. The fracture surface looks like corrosion, fatigue cracking, and brittle failure. Front: Orange Outline / Green Tritium, Rear: Black Outline / Green Tritium Retail: $170.00. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. These small revolvers were designed to fire a full power round and are as simple and easy to use as they are reliable. Rebound Springs - Trigger rebound springs are common to all Smith & Wesson J, K, L and N frame revolvers. (I) Giveaway ends February 28, 2023. S&W did just that and offered an Airweight version with a then-novel aluminum frame. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. I bought one a few years ago just for the heck of it and to go with some new ultralight backpacking gear. Blessedly, the flat-top bracket for it provides a whisper of square post sight picture to make grouping the gun easier. Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, State Agency: Today theres a J-Frame subset of these hammerless models exhibiting the same simplicity of operation making their predecessors so highly regarded. Smith & Wesson Models 40, 42, 640, 940, 442, 642, 340Sc, 342Ti and 340PD. Carry a lot, shoot a little. A cute punch line for sure, but a too-flip description of an excellent carry snubbie a cool heir to a long line of Smith J-Frames. Being such a light weight, compact revolver, there are a ton of carry options. I noticed that the 340's has a flat ground on each side of the barrel. Its features are described in its Safety Hammerless designation. My 3 #60 in .357 is much easier to shoot than the 2 #638 in .38 spl. (Interesting side note: the 1965 Model 60s were the first stainless revolvers produced by S&W) The rear sight is also easily adjustable for windage and elevation. But for my money, the Smith & Wesson M&P340 gets my vote for best of breed.. It's also a stunning extremely smooth shooting revolver with .44 Special. Although rated for the .357 Magnum cartridge, you might find the 360PD easier to handle with .38 Special or .38 Special +P rounds instead. It's a double action only 5-shot .38 Special intended to compete directly with the Smith & Wesson Airweights. The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool. The Model 60 Pro Series trigger in double action is typical of the exposed hammer J-Frames: heavy but predictable. I bought a 340pd and installed the XS big dot front sight for a M&P 340 onto it. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. New Hampshire Fish & Game Department, State Agency: Shell ejection out of a hot cylinder on the Model 60 has never been an issue for me like it has been with the 340PD. Though I do not carry in this way, the Galco Ankle Glove seems to be the gold standard. This is a carry pistol by nature. We only took advantage of the .357 chambering enough to try a pair of magnum loads. As a retired guy, I go back and forth from a S&W 340 to a Sig 365. Smith & Wesson Model 642 38 Special J-Frame Revolver with No Internal Lock - 103810 $519.00. Minnesota Deptartment of Natural Resources, State Agency: At . A 5-round titanuim cylinder and scandium/aluminum alloy frame. Rhode Island Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: Smith & Wesson markets their M&P series of rifles, pistols, and revolvers towards the military and law enforcement, but they work just as well for the rest of us, and any Smith & Wesson dealer can order them for you. personally i would get a 442 because money is an issue . but if it was not id go for the 360 in 357. Yet it doesnt sag a trouser pocket or weigh down an ankle as much as the heavier, all-steel J-Frames. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, GOM March 2022, P.O. As this is written, S&Ws MSRP for the M&P340 is $869. Fast-Targeting Sights: The M&P340 has a tritium XS Sights Big Dot up front, and the rear notch is deep and wide as J-Frame fixed sights go. Its 10ozs(m/l) heavier, shoots easy with 125 PDs, is accurate & u can shoot all 5 fast & easy & is almost as easy to conceal. Weighing just about two ounces more than my pocket gun, the 340 M&P comes with . Theyre low maintenance and dont require frequent oiling or delinting after months of carry. Ouch! I am comparing the S&W 340PD with the M&P 340. For almost everyone, the lightweight series of J frame S&W revolvers, even in .38 spl., are difficult to control. The world demand for scandium is expected to grow, which means the price will continue to rise. Smith and Wesson J-Frame revolvers have been popular carry options for decades. 340PD. Its corporate headquarters is based in Springfield, Massachusetts in the USA. Description: Smith & Wesson Model 342PD Airlite, 38 Special +P, with 2 sets of grips and original factory box. For more information, visit smith-wesson.com. Also has bullet pull been a problem? The Smith & Wesson Model 340 PD 2 Inch revolver belongs to the J-frame family. Deployed military should use stateside address. With some frequency, I get a friend who invites me to the range to try out their new handgun. Then recoil is very manageable. Centennial sales dropped way below Bodyguard sales, and in 1974, S&W discontinued the hammerless guns. Contest open to U.S. residents only. Caliber.357 Mag. SKU: 163064 Model: Model 360 PD Caliber: 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P Capacity: 5 Barrel Length: 1.875 / 4.8 cm Overall Length: 6.3 Front Sight: Hi-Viz Fiber Optic Orange Rear Sight: Fixed Action: Single/Double Action Grip: Synthetic Weight: 11.7 oz / 331.7g Cylinder Material: Titanium Alloy Barrel Material: Stainless Steel Smith & Wesson has been using it since the 12-ounce Model 340PD Airlite revolver in 2002. This Google translation feature is provided for informational purposes only. Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, State Agency: Featuring a slab sided barrel, Trijicon tritium front ramp sight, brushed stainless finish and wooden grips, this 60 is a handsome devil. Elite V-Crown JHP. The Smith & Wesson 329PD revolver is something else. Cylinder Not Locking: When you pull the trigger on the Smith and Wesson 327, you might sometimes hear a slight click. At 50 feet we grouped the following .38 Special loads: Black Hills 148-gr. A 12 ounce 357? True? Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, GOM Old West 2023, PO Box 488, Escondido, CA 92033. I have 27 years in Law enforcement, and always carried the 360PD as a back up gun. JHP. The it in question involved lighting off five reasonably quick rounds of .357 Magnum from a J-Frame S&W snubbie with a minimal curb weight specifically, the lightweight 340 PD. Smith & Wesson Model 340PD - AirLite Sc Centennial 357 Mag 103061. New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: As already mentioned the M&P has a steel cylinder which is a positive aspect IMO. Bullet etched on the bottom of the barrel sleeve. Spydercos Squarehead. Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. Contest open to U.S. residents only. They say that clothes make the man/woman. There's a small stainless steel insert in the topstrap right above the forcing cone, appearing to act as insurance against "flame-cutting" from the high pressures of magnum loads. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. The Mission of Cheaper Than Dirt! The timeline of the gun and its predecessors at Smith & Wesson runs something like this: 1887: S&W introduced its New Departure Safety Hammerless revolver, a top-break double action chambered for the short, weak, stubby .32- and .38-caliber centerfire rounds of the period. Description. I have had my 360 PD for many years now. Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries, State Agency: Factory warranties may apply in some cases. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. 022188030617 . Might as well buy ruger and save a few dollars. MODEL 340 PD $50 PREPAID CARD Buy Now MSRP: $1139.00 SKU: 163062 357 MAGNUM CALIBER 5 CAPACITY STAINLESS STEEL BARREL MATERIAL SYNTHETIC GRIP Product Features Smith & Wesson J-Frame revolvers have had your back since 1950. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. For a while, the S&W Model 60 stood out as a great middle ground option between a compact and full size .357 magnum that could do almost everything the smaller or larger revolvers could do, without the downsides. America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter, Review: S&W 340PD The Lightest .357 Magnum Revolver, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window). Sadly, my Model 60 carries the dubious distinction of being the only revolver to have a total mechanical failure at the range: The top of the trigger sheared off at only about round #1200 through the gun, requiring a trip back to S&W, and downgrading my Model 60 from carry piece to range piece. Common Smith and Wesson 327 Problems and Solutions 1. Along with the change in materials, S&W added an ejector rod shroud and improved the front sight. Sales instantly exploded, and the Airweight 042 and current 442 (blued and nickeled) and 642 followed. Looking at the brown stain adjacent fracture looks familiar, this appears to have been working a while and picked this time to let go. Physical characteristics. Home Firearms Handguns Review: S&W 340PD The Lightest .357 Magnum Revolver. I have "Deer stoppers" from Georiga Arms. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. Go for it. Posted June 24, 2020 in Editorial, Pistols, Revolver, Wheelgun Wednesday by Rusty S. with No CommentsTags: model 60, Pro Series, S&W, Smith and Wesson. With its 3 barrel, exposed hammer, adjustable rear and tritium front sight, and slightly larger grip, the Model 60 Pro Series sits comfortably in the middle ground between the smallest and largest .357 revolvers. Subject: Scandium .357 - 340 PD. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. So I have been hooked on and obsessed with a Smith and Wesson model 340pd revolver in .357 Magnum with a Scandium frame, Titanium cylinder and the high Viz front sight. Those who wanted that feature could get the shrouded-hammer Bodyguard design that came out shortly after the Centennial, which left a stubby hammer tip that could be thumb-cocked. Remember the ammo droughts of 2008 and 2012? I have a 360 M&P (.357 Mag scandium snub nose). This doesn't mean it's not accurate, however. The most notable problem I have encountered is shortly after I shot all that Remington Plus P in November 2011, I noticed the tritium front sight was out. The Shooter's Log, is to provide informationnot opinionsto our customers and the shooting community. Only time will tell if this newest allow will seriously challenge or supplant readily available and affordable aluminum alloys. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. As time went on, S&W incrementally strengthened its J-Frames. With original case.Very low round count. Both are carried in my front pocket of my jeans. What are the problems with a Smith and Wesson 642? (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Just my opinion but I wouldn't want a .357 scandi frame. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. Overall, there aren't very many problems with the S&W 642. Deployed military should use stateside address. They are both Scandium/alumanium mix alloy frames and the M&P 340 has a stainless cylinder and the 340PD has a Titanium alloy cylinder. Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winners. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected.