[31], The band's first album Find Out! Forever went on to win the 2012 Grammy award for Best Instrumental Album. He accepted an invitation to join The Rolling Stones Ronnie Wood in the all-star band, The New Barbarians, which also included Keith Richards of The Stones on guitar, Ian McLaglan on keyboards, Bobby Keys on saxophone and Ziggy Modeliste of the Meters on drums. His talent and success directly influenced and inspired a whole generation of bassists who followed in his footsteps. He's one of my favorites. Biography, Net Worth, Gossips, Salary, News & Much More. In 2005, Clarke toured as Trio! I'd say, "I'm going to play the melody." He is best known for his work with the fusion band Return to Forever, and his role as a bandleader in several trios and ensembles. Gifted jazz bassist who established many contemporary techniques with his dazzling, rapid patterns and a highly influential slapping technique. I've never really defined myself within a genre of music. How it complemented yours, you complemented each other? And now you're named an NEA Jazz Master. You know, when I started studying with him I used to come late and he used to sit me down and explain to me about the importance and the purpose of being on time. The label's first releases were by guitarist Lloyd Gregory and composer Kennard Ramsey. And then you have the idea of spirit of play where you have people playing off of each other so it's you have all these different things. His album Up, released in 2014, has enlisted an all-star cast in his musical ensemble, including former Return to Forever bandmate Chick Corea on piano, with drummer Stewart Copeland (The Police) and guitarist Jimmy Herring (Widespread Panic), among others. And same with Mick Jagger. We said yeah and so,I was going to do three nights, so I did one night was a jazz night, straight ahead. For five years, he took classical bass lessons, and originally set his sights on playing in a symphony orchestra. The Toys of Men includes acoustic bass interludes that provide a counterpoint to Clarke's better known electric bass attack. Stanley Clarke. And in actual fact, we were the honest ones. He is the first jazz-fusion bassist to headline tours, sell out shows worldwide and have recordings reach gold status. You know, but when John got to shoot the movie, I understood the purpose of his scripts. Upon graduating, he moved to New York City and quickly found work with a bevy of luminaries, including Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Dexter Gordon, Joe Henderson, Pharoah Sanders, Stan Getz, and others. I don't think musicians really look at, "Oh, now I'm going to play with a country musician or, oh, now I'm going to do this." Clarke intended to become the first black musician in the Philadelphia Orchestra until he met jazz pianist Chick Corea. Upon leaving the Philadelphia Musical Academy (now part of the University of the Arts), Stanley made his way to New York City where he very quickly landed opportunities to work with such greats as Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Dexter Gordon, Joe Henderson, Pharaoh Saunders, Gil Evans and Stan Getz. School Days, composed and performed by Stanley Clarke from the album, School Days. Free shipping for many products! He is not dating anyone. Lets take a look at Stanley Clarkes past relationships, ex-girlfriends, and previous hookups. He is the first jazz-fusion bassist to headline tours, sell out shows worldwide and have recordings reach gold status. Can you describe his musicality and how it fit with yours? Stanley Clarke: No, no. They worked in a trio again in 2012 with guitarist Birli Lagrne and two years later recorded D-Stringz (Impulse!, 2015). In addition to an economical variation on the funky Larry Graham-style slap-n'-pop technique, Clarke also uses downward thrusts of the entire right hand, striking two or more strings from above with his fingernails (examples of this technique include "School Days", "Rock and Roll Jelly", "Wild Dog", and "Danger Street"). But you expanded that into playing melodies. Jo Reed: Yeah. Zodiac Sign: Stanley Clarke is a Cancer. The label's first releases were by guitarist Lloyd Gregory and composer Kennard Ramsey. In 1988, Clarke and drummer Stewart Copeland of the rock band the Police formed Animal Logic with singer-songwriter Deborah Holland. A bit." Clarke has worked as a solo artistplacing the bass front and center as the lead instrument, t and releasing a number of successful albums including the epic School Days. In his early teens, Stanley moved from the violin, his fingers were too big for, and the cello that never sat well with him, to an abandoned acoustic double bass in the corner of a school band room. So then we did the second take and that was the song and I told the guys, "No, you don't fix. Stanley Clarke: Well, you must have read my mind. You know, and then you have the advantage of having great sound. I strongly feel that those who have had success in realizing their own vision, as myself, have a duty to help others in their struggle to emerge. Stanley sun sign is Cancer and his birth flower is Rose or Honeysuckle. And basically, there were school dances and guys would say, "Hey, man, can you make this gig and play the school dance?" He and his wife Sofia established The Stanley Clarke Foundation thirteen years ago as a charitable organization, which offers scholarships to talented young musicians each year. You know, when I wrote that song it was interesting, because Return To Forever was winning a Grammy and I was so excited because I didn't know much about the Grammys. At the age of 82 years, Stanley Clarke (swimmer) weight not available right now. The concert honoring the NEA Jazz Masters took place at SF Jazz on March 31, and you can watch, listen and enjoy it, in its entirety at arts.gov. His scripts were just his framework because then when you got, you know, all this other stuff, this flavor of the hood, the way people talk, the way they moved, which was not written in the script because he couldn't. Anyway, what we did was we devised a really amazing way so that wouldn't happen. And then he did a very primitive way. Clarke won een zilveren medaille op de 4 x 100 m vrije slag estafette op de 1962 European Aquatics Championships.Hij eindigde zevende in hetzelfde evenement op de . In 2008, Stanley was presented with a doctorate in fine arts from his alma mater, The University of the Arts. At 71 years old, Stanley Clarke height not available right now. And I just thought it was cool and I thought I looked better, you know, and my chances of talking to girls, you know, if I had this bass, it looked better than this acoustic bass, at least to me it did. There, he joined Ponty and guitarist Birli Lagrne in a performance that later led to the trio recording 2015's D-Stringz for Impulse! He put sunglasses on me. He founded the band in 1985, with Ruslan Sirota, Shariq Tucker, Cameron Graves, Beka Gochiashvili, Salar Nader, and Evan Garr. Just an extremely creative woman. His first score, for Pee-wee's Playhouse, was nominated for an Emmy Award. Chick, Stanley, Al and Lenny RTF. And especially the acoustic bass. A really cool guy named Vernon Slaughter at Epic Records said, "You know, you guys hang out so much, you should make a record. Learn How rich is He in this year and how He spends money? And they'd come and they'd play. I thought that was amazing. In 2008, Clarke formed SMV with bassists Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten and recorded the album Thunder. He is from PA. Stanley Clarke's Net Worth: $1-5 Million Age, Height & Body Measurements Stanley Clarke currently age 68 years old. He is a brilliant player on both acoustic and electric basses. Typically the bass had been the centering instrument, if you will. Stanley Clarke Net Worth, Age, Height, Weight. And, you know, you have to learn how to be able to, like, shine immediately like snap of a finger. It's, you know, it's great. He is a brilliant player on both acoustic and electric basses. And yeah, it was just a cooler thing and it was really, my first electric bass was really raw. This page is updated often with fresh details about Stanley Clarke. We don't have much information about He's past relationship and any previous engaged. For lead and solo purposes, his fingers partially hook underneath the strings so that when releases, the strings snap against the frets, producing a biting percussive attack. Dating & Relationship status He is currently single. And he was a friend. Sometimes I'd see him walking down the street with clothes that looked like he was in a circus playing the saxophone up in the air like this, just screaming and playing. Corea produced Clarke's first solo album, Children of Forever (1973), and played keyboards on it with guitarist Pat Martino, drummer Lenny White, flautist Art Webb, and vocalists Andy Bey and Dee Dee Bridgewater. A few other people. Member of Return to Forever, a jazz fusion band, and who is known for his leadership in an array of trios and ensembles. See all 48 Events. We go way back. The first edition of Return to Forever performed primarily Latin-oriented music and used only acoustic instruments (except for Corea's Fender Rhodes piano). The Night School DVD scholarship concert features diverse group of musicians that include Stevie Wonder, Wallace Roney, Bela Fleck, Sheila E., Stewart Copeland, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea, Wayman Tisdale, Marcus Miller and others. Clarke grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with his mother encouraging him to study music. In 2010, Clarke released the Stanley Clarke Band, with Ruslan Sirota on keyboards and piano and Ronald Bruner, Jr. on drums; the album also features Hiromi on piano (as a guest artist), along with many others. I didn't believe in overdubbing solos. An innovative jazz bass superstar, Stanley Clarke is an immensely adept and highly acclaimed performer, whose melodic and harmonically rich approach to playing the bass revolutionized its role from being simply a part of the rhythm section to becoming a front-stage lead instrument. He has garnered three Emmy Nominations and a BMI Award for his scoring. He is the first . In addition to an economical variation on the Larry Graham-style pop-n'-slap technique, Clarke also uses downward thrusts of the entire right hand, striking two or more strings from above with his fingernails (examples include "School Days," "Rock and Roll Jelly," "Wild Dog," and "Danger Street"). I was a sort of a Rolling Stone fan so when the time came for us to make music, when we made those records I used to get a kick out of the jazz critics that used to put us down, that music, as if we were being dishonest. Can you describe that and how you got there. [30] Their album The Message was released in 2018. You know, providing you can play that music, you can play that genre of music. It was-- And the amplifiers, you know, you just got the bass, took the wire, plugged it in. Lenny White (who had played with Corea in Miles Davis's band) replaced Gadd and Lewis on drums and percussion, and the group's third album, Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy (1973), was then rerecorded (the first recording, featuring Gadd on drums, was never released and has since disappeared). He is the first bassist in history who doubles on acoustic and electric bass with equal ferocity and the first jazz-fusion bassist ever to headline tours, selling out shows worldwide. I mean, some of that stuff was just rehearsal. RTF, which became one of the seminal bands of the fusion era, included Lenny White on drums, Billy Connor, and later, Al Di Meola on guitar. After the second album, Farrell, Purim and Moreira left the group to form their own band, and guitarist Bill Connors, drummer Steve Gadd and percussionist Mingo Lewis were added. 1 Stanley Clarke Net Worth. And then you began a solo career and you're making solo records with the bass front and center. But then once I sat down and I talked to Bayard and Bayard, Bayard gave me a great lesson. Monster Jam. And I remember saying, "This is beginner's luck. If you see something that doesnt look right, contact us. It's great. But it's really, it really doesn't have anything to do with it. No, he was a-- he was a great guy. Stanley Clarke: Well, in many ways I played the acoustic bass by default. After Return to Forever's second album, Light as a Feather, Clarke received job offers from Bill Evans, Miles Davis, and Ray Manzarek of the Doors, but he remained with Return to Forever until 1977. I really, really, really found something that I was going to do and I approached it very seriously. This guy, I was used to, you know, you get a record it's a singer up there with a microphone, you know and here was a guy with a bass. His playbacks was his thing and he made the playbacks sound like records. I'd love to have you talk about that relationship you have with Lenny White, who you've played with practically your entire professional life. Jo Reed: And you have an educational fund, the Stanley Clarke Foundation. Some of his guests include Terence Blanchard, Marcus Miller, George Duke, The Tate Brothers, Gamble and Huff, and academicians Dr. Jacqueline Cogdell DjeDje and Dr. Cheryl Keyes from the Department of Ethnomusicology at UCLA among many others. The third annual Stanley Clarke Scholarship Concert featuring a diverse group of musicians including, Stevie Wonder, Wallace Roney, Bela Fleck, Sheila E., Stewart Copeland, Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea, Wayman Tisdale, Marcus Miller, and more, was released on the DVD Night School: An Evening with Stanley Clarke and Friends in 2007, with proceeds going to fund students. There's an underlying attitude that may seep into other things like how you practice, how you approach your instrument. A lot of people think that I invented this thing. Stanley Clarke: Well, you know, Bayard lived up the street from me maybe three doors up. Composer: Boyz n the Hood. [6], A Stanley Clarke electric bass is permanently on display at the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C.[7][8][1], Clarke was born on June 30, 1951 in Philadelphia. Lt. Gen. Stanley E. Clarke III is the Director, Air National Guard, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. Clarke's second self-titled album Stanley Clarke (1974) featured Tony Williams on Drums, Bill Connors - Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, and Jan Hammer - Synthesizer [Moog], Electric Piano, Organ, Piano [Acoustic]. This was my third album I did with this engineer. Emerging in the 1970s as a founding member of Chick Corea's groundbreaking fusion band Return to Forever, Clarke helped redefine the sound of jazz, appearing on such landmark albums as 1971's Light as a Feather and 1975's Grammy-winning No Mystery. And then also I had ability to play the bass. It was really magical. Like, they had different composers come in for different episodes. Jo Reed: That art of improvisation, what Roscoe Mitchell calls spontaneous composition. In 2020 Clarke was invited as a teacher at a Bass Bootcamp hosted by bassist Gerald Veasley. [9], In 2008, Clarke formed SMV with bassists Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten and recorded the album Thunder. And the reason why I did it was because I remember when I was going to a music conservatory in Philadelphia, my biggest problem was just having money. In addition to his innovations with the bass guitar, he also developed instruments such as a piccolo bass guitar and a tenor bass guitar. And so I was always thinking of tunes and I used to say, "You know, what about that melody being played on the bass? It was in kind of an amphitheater downtown Detroit. Guy has to know that he can like you, he has to know he can talk to you. The same year, Stanley won a Latin Grammy for Best Instrumental Album with Forever, along with group members Chick Corea and Lenny White. [23] Two years later, Clarke and keyboardist George Duke formed the Clarke/Duke Project, which combined pop, jazz, funk, and R&B. You can take the time to roll something out. They have to have the fundamentals but then you have to let it go and just be wild at heart. TodayHe continues to work and has several film scores as well as a string of albums to his name. You're playing with Keith Richards and Ron Wood and Stewart Copeland and Jeff Beck. It's just like the gigs. And so I studied with him and I saw my improvement. about 2 months ago Thanks BASS Magazine for being ever-so loyal! It's kind of like you're deciding to create life but in a parallel universe. Four-time Grammy Award Winner Stanley Clarke has attained "living legend" status during his over 40-year career as a bass virtuoso. Find Stanley Clarke tour schedule, concert details, reviews and photos. , Jo Reed: But when it's good, it's so beautiful. He was Rolling Stone magazines very first Jazzman of the Year and bassist winner of Playboys Music Award for ten straight years.