. 6. JavaScript is disabled. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Where should I have put the thread? Won't rev past ~4k. So, she did, and the car stalled and stopped on her nearly avoiding being rear ended. From September 2014, it was replaced with modified TR580 transmission in Outback 2.5 l gasoline-powered models. No light so far. As a result, these seals leak both pressure and liquid. Operate the select lever in P R N D and D N R P to circulate CVTF with the engine idling. Start with winding noise then gets worse very quickly, within one to two months. I used the NHTSA website and found on average more reported issues with the older transmissions than with the CVTs. Subaru also has a third drivetrain technology that has proliferated throughout its lineup and goes hand in hand with its engine and AWD: Lineartronic CVT. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. 76k miles on the clock, original fluid. To impart a sportier feel on certain vehicles equipped with a CVT, under heavier acceleration the transmission control module will simulate specific gear ratios and a feeling of shift shock, similar to using the manual shift controls available on a CVT equipped Subaru. My 2023 Wilderness is on order and I might end up towing 1500 lb trailer from time to time with it. In fact, overheating is such a major issue that it causes almost 90% of automatic transmission failures. I think a sample could be taken from the filler plug, but I believe the CVTF temp has to be between 95-113F with the engine running or fluid could spill out. Excessive oil use after each 3,000 miles. This could've ended much differently had I been driving on the highway. Regardless, this is about a brand new WRX. . I like the look of the blue setting but I was disappointed that for my eyes it was too hard to read the numbers. That's 115C normal and 130C+ racing. If you are accustomed to conventional automatic transmissions, you may equate acceleration with the sound or vibrations from the rise and fall of engine RPM and the shock felt while the transmission upshifts. The Drive has answers. If that is not possible, I'll perform more frequent AT fluid changes. At those temps recing oil is needed and it needs to be changed alot. Don't wait too long to repair the cvt cooler. Yes, yesterday I was running errands in typical suburban traffic, a mix of surface streets and a 55mph+ primary highway. during operation. This is a very dangerous safety concern for any of these vehicles equipped with this CVT transmission, especially when Subaru boasts about how this transmission is completely maintenance free for the life of the car. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. 220 is not hot. However, the further apart the first gear ratio is from the final gear ratio the less responsive the vehicle is at all speeds in between. What is normal operating CVT fluid temperature for Forester Wilderness? "Eight days later, they confirmed my suspicions. Still not sure it is. Glad to see this post and topic. This one . I'd like to share that Honda doesn't say what their CVT fluid is made of either; is it conventional? When at a steady higher RPM during acceleration, the frequency remains constant and may resonate. My plan was to do an oil analysis at 30k and another at 60k. Subaru Lineartronic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) For instant, seamless response to changing conditions, the redesigned Lineartronic Continuously Variable Transmission elevates efficiency of the BOXER engine and Symmetrical AWD by keeping the engine in its ideal power range. By getting narrower or fatter, these pulleys change the Thanks for the feedback. Fully apply the parking brake. This is also the point at which the combustion of air and fuel is most efficient, resulting in lower exhaust emissions. I have a 2015 FXT that I bought recently with 90K miles on it. If your vehicle pauses or hesitates when you press the gas, the CVT could be malfunctioning. A. What do you think is it worth it to invest more maintenance into the cvt than Subaru suggests or just have a wait and see approach and hope if something does happen it will occur under warranty? If you're used to a manual transmission, a CVT may feel like a slipping clutch when you first hit the gas. Although Subaru doesn't correlate the two, the company announced warranty extensions for several 2010-'18 CVT-equipped Subarus from five years/60,000 miles to 10 years/100,000 miles. When under moderate to heavy acceleration the Transmission Control Module (TCM) continuously adjusts the gear ratio to maintain an engine RPM that produces the most torque and efficiency, and may maintain this RPM for quite some time. Fluid volume, vs heat soak over time, vs air flow/heat shedding ability. Getting passed by Semi's does nothing for the reputation of these cars to passerby's, haha. With the ability to continuously vary the gear ratio, the CVT is able to have a lower gear ratio for quicker acceleration and a higher final gear ratio for fuel economy when compared to a traditional automatic transmission. The reduced power output and delay actually delays acceleration, but we have become accustomed to these sensations and equate them with increased acceleration. Very impressed on how cool and consistent it keeps the oil temperature even when I am going WOT. The mean temperature throughout Germany was 2.9 degrees. As an engine rises in RPM the sound produced varies in frequency. I think that could work. Shop 2022 Subaru WRX 2.4L CVT HVAC Temperature Control Panel. When upshifting to subsequent gears the same will occur once more. Thanks! Probably something wrong with it. Thx. However, throughout the past decade, hundreds of customers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about several problems relating to Subaru's CVTs. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Any information you provide to us (i.e. I'll take it in after I get back to town next week. Still, the Subaru Lineartronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) automatic gearbox is one of the best features on the 2021 Forester, Crosstrek, Outback, and Ascent SUVs. There is a compromise between the lowest gear ratio which improves acceleration and the highest gear ratio which improves fuel economy. When I bought the scangauge, display brightness in sunlight was one of the negative issues frequently discussed. As we all know, lubricating fluids break down over time and will lose that ability to "keep things slippery". but I guess we can call 190+warm and about 220+Hot? There is little concern towing at half the stated rating for the Forester Wilderness. To understand the operating characteristics of a CVT we need to understand why CVTs were developed and what they are designed to accomplish. Join us! Light hasn't come on at all today, but I read temps as high as 228*. I generally prefer the truth whenever I decide what I want it to be. I installed a transmission cooler and I now have the transmission running at 168F. Should I try using a baffle on the cooler to bring the temperature up a few more degrees, or should I just run it at 168? My car begin to roll backwards. If you're reading it from the multi-function display in your non-US XV then you're reading oil temp. With the CVT, (Continuous Variable Transmission.) It pains me to post this, but I think I'm having a real problem with my Crosstrek. The transmission Such information is gathered by us in the aggregate and will not be associated with a specific individual without that individual's consent. Done with the tools you need? Perhaps in technical forum, under engine/drivetrain. the E-Mail Reminder Service). The fluid should be at the right level and color. If anything, the company will continue to improve its CVT construction and design and expand upon its application to new models. Perhaps the Forester warms the CVT fluid to improve low temp operation? Engines are designed to work over a wide range of engine speeds (RPM) however the torque and power output do not remain constant. The benefits of Subaru CVT include: Reduced fuel consumption Smooth operation Please remember that, unless otherwise stated, any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information in these areas. Normal running CVT temp is 140 - 210 F, so you can't just warm it up and hope you are at the right temp. I don't feel my driving would be considered "severe use" under Subarus definition. industry SPECIFICATIONS Meets Dexron-IIIH, Mercon Lineatronic delivers a smoother ride while also reducing mechanical noise infinitely, they are "continuously variable." The vehicle continued to lose speed and would not respond when I pressed down on the accelerator. Do some digging here in the forums for a Alto towed by a 3.6.5eat. Outdoor temp 88F, cvt temp 201F (according to my ScanGauge II). Thanks, crv383! I'm sure that is related to how the colors register for me with color-blind issues. I do live in Texas, so we do get 100+ temps in the summer. Moonrise 9:19 am. This information may include the type and version of your browser, your service provider, your IP address and any search engine you may have used to locate the site. I'm just going to speak from my own first hand experience, not from what others here want to argue over. As it has no physical gears or fixed gear ratios it provides an advantages in terms of acceleration, smoothness, fuel efficiency and eco-friendliness. Another option is RWD conversion through DIY means or in the form of a purchased kit via MRT, Rocket Rally, or Kingpin. Overheated fluid discharges of a burnt toast-like smell and looks brown to dark in color. UltraGauge is both an OBDII Scan Tool and an Information center that displays selectable engine gauges, such as RPM, Speed, Coolant Temperature, Boost, Distance, Fuel Pressure, Mass Air Flow, and more. Luckily, the car behind me was paying attention and was able to slow down and not hit us. of the BOXER engine and Symmetrical AWD by keeping the engine in its ideal I've been searching for a secondary/auxiliary tranny fluid cooler for the Gen 5 CR-V CVT for a while now..no luck so far. https://jalopnik.com/all-the-crazy-ways-automakers-test-cars-so-they-can-han-1754833626, General Troubleshooting and Technical Help. My fuel light had just turned on minutes before this, but I still had 60 miles to go before empty. Subaru Canada, Inc. 2023. A 40min drive 5 times a week with some of stop and go traffic. crvownersclub.com is not in any way affiliated with Honda Motor Company, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. UltraGauge displays mileage gauges including Instantaneous MPG, Average MPG, gallons per hour. Because we do gather certain types of information from visitors to our sites, we have developed a privacy statement to help you understand the terms and conditions surrounding the collection and use of that information. to turn on the defogger. B benjy Joined Aug 23, 2010 Messages Copyright 1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-litere-ranges.html, http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite-pressure.html, http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856553, http://www.i-club.com/forums/engine--normal-64951/. Our dealership may disclose specific personal information based on a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to comply with or conform to the law or that such disclosure is necessary to protect the users of our Web sites, the sites themselves, or the public. When the heat reaches nearly 290F, the transmission starts slipping and stop functioning with the burning out of seals and clutches. Since I don't want to be messing with a phone all the time I prefer something with a dedicated display like the ScanGauge II that is always in place and comes on instantly every time I start the car. relationship of engine speed I drive over sand in summer and this is deep sugar sand and things do run hotter. They offer a unique manual mode via steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. When decelerating over a longer distance such as a highway off ramp the CVT will keep the torque converter locked-up as long as possible to provide engine braking similar to a manual transmission equipped vehicle. It will give you some great tips on what to look for and what to avoid when selecting a warranty. I'm wondering at what temperature the coolant sensor tells the fans to turn on. When under moderate to heavy acceleration the transmission control module continuously adjusts the gear ratio to maintain an efficient engine RPM. Temperature Control Dial 5. (Some other manufacturers use belts.) 83,795. That's all I'm sayingif well north of 200F tranny fluid temp is normal for a CVT, then so be it. Subaru is a metal belt driven CVT with pulleys while the power. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. It is not uncommon for a vehicle operator to place the vehicle into Drive while the vehicle is still moving backwards. Cookies are small files placed on your hard drive that assist us in providing you with a customized browsing experience. Most dealers (subaru / non subaru ; cvt / non cvt) will replace the transmission not repair it. Such parties only have access to the personal information needed to perform these functions and may not use or store the information for any other purpose. The controls are the same inside the car: two Along with Subarus safety, theyre the stars of the companys advertisements. Talking to a buddy, the tune came up. Why Manual Transmission is Hard to Shift. Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.