All rights reserved (About Us). Wayman Antoninus Newton, 40, is charged with assault in the third degree. In an interview, the mayor denied ever slamming the door on Renos arm. 200 Taylor Street - 7th Floor Fort Worth, TX 76196 817-884-3354 The Tarrant County Sheriff's Office Sex Offender Registration Unit is responsible for the investigation and enforcement of the Sex Offender Registration Program required in Chapter 62 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure. But according to AL.com, he told police last week that Newton slammed a door on his arm and injured him seriously enough that he now needs physical therapy. Since Reno left the force, he said around 12 officers have left the department. All rights reserved, Reward Offered as Montgomery County Deputies Hope to Find Woman, Selma Police Investigating Man's Apparent Murder, Montgomery Police Need Help in Homicide Investigation, Montgomery Firefighters Investigating Large Church Fire Near Downtown, Pedestrian Killed in Three-Car Crash in Troy. The Seattle Police Department is honored to announce that Assistant Chief Perry Tarrant was sworn in as the next president of the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE). I dont mind changes, if theyre done like theyre supposed to be done. The Hurst Police Department is a nationally accredited law enforcement agency, providing 24-hour response to the needs of the community. All rights reserved (About Us). Bryant said he isnt opposed to changes in the city, but believes Newton is going about things in an aggressive way. Newton, an attorney, is accused of slamming a door on Reno, causing an injury to Renos shoulder that may require surgery. I only worked for him for two hours. Address 2593 Commerce Circle Birmingham , Alabama , 35217 Phone 205-849-2811 Fax 205-849-2807 Tarrant Police Department / Tarrant City Jail Details Type Local Police Department Full Time Sworn Officers 25 Full Time Civilians 6 Map of Tarrant Police Department / Tarrant City Jail in Birmingham, Alabama My election kind of represented a transition from the old guard to the new, Newton told The Daily Beast. The incident was caught on camera. Sources say former Police Chief Dennis Reno pressed charges against the new mayor in connection to an incident between the two that happened after Newton was sworn into office. The judge on Friday issued her orders declaring Newton not guilty in both cases. He has no regard for the proper procedures to do anything.. Im fairly certain that once people had an opportunity to look at these videos, theyre going to know the truth., Again, Im not above the law and so this is a criminal matter and its going to work its way through the courts,' he said. Tarrant Mayor Wayman Newton said he plans to be exonerated of a misdemeanor assault charge lodged against him by the citys former police chief. The alleged assault happened on Election Day Nov. 3, 2020 when the two got into a verbal dispute. The conversation evolved into a shouting match, Newton said. As for Reno, he said he is not yet enjoying retirement because he misses going to work every day. Chief Perry Tarrant has 34 years of law enforcement experience and is a retired captain with the Tucson Police Department and a past assistant chief of the Seattle Police Department. In an ever-evolving city and police department, Deputy Chief Criado embraces new challenges and change. Its like now all hes doing is trying to oppose anything Mayor Newton is doing. TARRANT, Ala. (AP) A Black Alabama mayor accused of assault by the citys white former police chief claimed Thursday that the two got into a dispute because the chief wouldnt hire black officers. The Tarrant mayor claimed that Dennis Reno, the former Tarrant Police Chief, wouldnt hire black police officers and that disagreement led to the November altercation. All rights reserved (About Us). Reno said he hired black officers during his time at Tarrant and said those officers had left the department to go to bigger cities and make more money. (Jefferson County Jail), At a press conference held Thursday, Newton said Reno was was unwilling to stop the discriminatory practice of not hiring African American officers, which under my administration is unacceptable., There was a verbal disagreement about this between myself and Mr. Reno in my office on November 3, 2020 in which Mr. Reno is alleging that I slammed his arm in a door,' Newton said. Learn more. She argued that it was clear from watching embarrassing city council meetings every week that he has some enemies. Alabama News Network Staff. The conversation evolved into a shouting match, Newton said. He said he hopes to succeed in that endeavor. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. Newton, the first black mayor of the mostly Black Birmingham suburb of 6,400 people, said there were no Black people on the police force when he became mayor. Got a tip? The alleged assault happened on Election Day Nov. 3, 2020, when the two got into a verbal dispute. Newman was arrested again on Aug. 18, 2021, on the harassment charged obtained by Bryant. Ever since Newton, 40, took office after winning his election in Tarrant, Alabamapopulation 7,000by nearly 40 percentage points last year, a small minority of mostly white residents and city leaders have had it out for him, he told The Daily Beast. Proudly Managed & Hosted by Adam Black Media But he said people like Bryant and Reno are, in effect, stuck in the past: Theyre longing for a time that was.. During his time as mayor, the city has started a low-cost vet clinic, offered food giveaways, and started a new program to help people purchase homes in Tarrant with specialty loans through Regions Bank. Tarrant Mayor Wayman Newton. He also is a graduate of the FBI National Academy and consulted with the U.S. Department of State in training police forces in Afghanistan. Newton, an attorney and Tarrants first Black mayor, is accused of slamming a door on Reno, causing an injury to Renos shoulder that may require surgery. After months of pushback from the majority of council members, Newton said he hopes the city can eventually move in a positive direction. Deanna Taylor is one of those people. It is his goal to lead in an environment that fosters mutual respect and understanding, reflective of the professional standards expected from those he serves. Send it to The Daily Beasthere. He can look and see what it could be without the historical hindsight of what it was, he said. Email Us. I hope it dont offend you. The Ugly War Between a White Police Chief and a Black Mayor in the Deep South A TOWN DIVIDED Wayman Newton Tarrant, Alabama, has been gripped by a saga that some say reflects the rise of a. ", Newton said he believes its a small number of former employees and former residents stirring up the controversy. North Texas Interoperable Radio Network (NTIRN) Project 25 Phase II. All rights reserved (About Us). Then I realized that Im here for a reason, and that reason is that I represent all the people that wanted to change the city, but they werent able to change the city,' he said. Jason Rickles was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, second-degree criminal damage to property and possession of a deadly weapon after an incident in Roswell, Ga. on March 12. He never gave me a chance, he told AL.com of the mayor, adding that he had told Newton, I dont hire off race, I hire off qualifications.. But he said people like Bryant and Reno are, in effect, stuck in the past: Theyre longing for a time that was., Got a tip? Newton said there is video of the alleged assault and he has ordered the city attorney to release the video footage to the Jefferson County District Attorneys Office, as well as video of Reno moving out of his office the following day. I actually question the legitimacy of those numbers like I question the legitimacy of the hiring practices of the previous police chief, he added. TARRANT, Ala. (WBRC) - Tarrant's Police Chief is reacting to Councilman Tommy Bryant's arrest after he said he witnessed Bryant punching Mayor Wayman Newton. Taylor, who does not buy the assault charge, said her boyfriend is Black, and that for many in the Black community, it has been an open secret that the Tarrant Police Department had no Black police officers and would routinely pull over Black drivers and find excuses to search their cars. Contact the City; Licenses; I Want To. I do not represent the Mayor, Councilor Bryant or any other employee in its individual capacity, he said. Download original document: Document text This text is machine-read, and may contain errors. The councilman went on to say longtime city employees were in a hostile situation under Newtons leadership, and accused the mayor of harassing multiple employees, including himself. Bryant also blamed the mayor for firing people without the input of other city officials, such as when he axed Jason Rickels, the former fire department chief in Tarrant, after Rickels was arrested in Georgia in March. Country: United States Address 1: 2593 Commerce Cir City: Tarrant State: Alabama Zip Code: 35217-2352 County: Jefferson County Phone #: 205-849-2811 Fax #: 205-849-2807. He is also past national president of the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives. TARRANT The mayor of Tarrant was arrested on Wednesday, June 16, 2021. In an ever-evolving city and police department, Deputy Chief Criado embraces new challenges and change. The mayor has not named replacements for Rickels or Reno. Newton surrendered to authorities Wednesday after retired Chief Dennis Reno swore out a warrant on Newton for third-degree assault. Find an Ordinance; Apply For a Job; Submit a Bid; Submit a Comment; . George confirmed that changes to the department made it so that one officer would be in charge of the internal affairs department, rather than a previous system that would tap an available detective or lieutenant to handle complaints. During his time as chief, Reno said he had a panel of three that recommend the hiring of officers, so he denies any claim that he had any discriminatory hiring practices. I wasnt even in the hiring process. Lt. Phillip George of the Tarrant Police Department declined to comment about any alleged policy of not hiring Black officers, as well as the alleged targeting of Black drivers. I was trying to piss him off to see if hed come after me, Bryant said. Crime news across America. Neither Rickels nor Steel responded to a request for comment for this story. The problem is, the four individuals on the council, they know their time is up, Newton said. My grandmother always used to say, The more things change, the more they stay the same, and unfortunately were starting to see the ugly head of the old Tarrant reared itself., Newton said there were no Black officers on the force when he took office. And as I stated before, there is a video of this incident, which will be released to the authorities. Coming on the heels of a year of racial justice protests, literal dismantling of Confederate monuments, and calls for police reform, the bizarre, small-town, Deep South saga either reflects the rise of a ruthless politician one rival likened to Adolf Hitler, or the last gasp of a white power structure that wont let go. When reached for comment, Newton said there had been a warrant taken out on him and that he had gotten it taken care of. But he told The Daily Beast that the police department employs 18 officers. Lt. Phillip George of the Tarrant Police Department declined to comment about any alleged policy of not hiring Black officers, as well as the alleged targeting of Black drivers. Newton said the opposition reached its apex last week, when Dennis Reno, the white former chief of police in Tarrant, accused the mayor of assaulting him during a conversation in Newtons office a day after his swearing-in back in November. Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Im a man. Bryant accused Newton of shouting an expletive F#*&- several times, and then, F#*& your wife multiple times and finally saying, Im going to F#*& your wife several times as well as some other sexually explicit comments. Bryant wondered why Newton wasnt putting himself on leave given the fact that he fired Rickels for his charge. You can watch Newtons full press conference and reaction from his supporters below. This is not true, and I fully expect to be exonerated., Asked for a response to the mayors statement, Reno said, I only worked for him for two hours. When he was released, the young mayor posted security-camera videos on Facebook that appear to show Reno leaving the mayors office and calmly closing the door on his way out. For example, he said, the firing of Rickels is something that he didnt need approval for. Im glad that we can finally put that behind me.. 2,044 Sq. Tarrant, Alabama, has been gripped by a saga that some say reflects the rise of a ruthless politician and others see as the last gasp of a white power structure that wont let go. Bryant wondered why Newton wasnt putting himself on leave given the fact that he fired Rickels for his charge. But its the people that hold office in Tarrant thats keeping him from moving forward., She called out the longest-serving councilman, Tommy Bryant, in particular. Bryant was arrested back on . Newton was also acquitted on a harassment charge obtained by city council member . Phone: 817-249-1610. Mayor Wayman Newton on Thursday confirmed Jefferson County Sheriff's Capt. The mayor is accused of slamming a door on Reno, causing an injury to Renos shoulder that may require surgery. Taylor, who does not buy the assault charge, said her boyfriend is Black, and that for many in the Black community, it has been an open secret that the Tarrant Police Department had no Black police officers and would routinely pull over Black drivers and find excuses to search their cars. The former police chief alleged that Newton closed a door in the mayors office on his arm, but the Tarrant mayor called the allegations false. The charge comes after former Police Chief Dennis Reno claimed that Newton slammed a door on. 2023 Benbrook Business & Community Showcase (BBCS) View All . There has been discord in the city since Newton took office, and he says thats because some people are resistant to change. If your child will play baseball or softball this spring, youll need to stock up on appropriate clothing and equipment. If you actually go and talk to most people that actually live here in the city, they actually like the things that Im doing.. Mayor Loxcil Tuck, 87, elected the citys first woman mayor in 2004, retired from politics. Tarrant Mayor Wayman Newton told a news conference that former chief Dennis Reno had a discriminatory practice of refusing to hire African Americans as police officers and wouldnt change it. Money Services Business Registrations; Moter Carriers Major is a graduate of Fairfield High School and served as a U.S. Marine. I never had a single complaint against me the entire time I was at Tarrant, about being a racist, Reno continued. At this point Im happy. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). Tarrant Police Chief Wendell Major confirms Bryant was arrested Thursday morning on a theft of services charge. For further clarity of these information, therefore, visit the website or call 817-276-4700 for more. Give me a break! Now all of a sudden hes in office and I work for him for two hours and Im a racist? I take that job and responsibility very seriously. In an interview with The Daily Beast, Bryant pushed back against any problems with race that the city and police department may have faced in the past. We strive to maintain our citizens' trust and confidence in their Police Department by maintaining a high degree of integrity and professionalism among all Police employees. He even claimed that he wore a bulletproof vest to council meetings a few times because he feared for his safety. I only worked for him for two hours. Police Department Amy Marion Chief of Police (870) 845-3434 Pay Fines Police Department The Nashville Police Department is comprised of professional police officers who are eager to protect and serve our community. Tarrant Mayor Wayman Newton has released video of an incident that led to the former police chief filing a misdemeanor assault charge against the mayor. TARRANT, Ala. (WIAT) The city of Tarrant has announced it has terminated its fire chief after he was arrested last month in Georgia. It is like he thinks hes God and he rules this city, she said. Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Fax: 817-249-4803. Reno left the chiefs job shortly after and officially retired Jan. 1, 2021 after 42 years in law enforcement. Newton was also acquitted on a harassment charge obtained by city council member Tommy Bryant who signed the misdemeanor warrant against him claiming the mayor made, in part, sexually explicit comments about the councilmans wife. The Tarrant mayor said that at that time the city did not have a single black police officer. The former police chief of Tarrant, Dennis Reno, was unwilling to stop the discriminatory practice of not hiring African American officers, which under my administration is unacceptable, said Newton. There has been discord in the city since Newton took office, and he says thats because some people are resistant to change. Oh yes, there's trouble, right here in Tarrant City, with a capital "T" that rhymes with "C" that stands for (racist) Conspiracy. This is the official Facebook page for the Tarrant Police Department located within Jefferson County, Alabama.. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. PA - Feb 06, 2023. This is not true, and I fully expect to be exonerated, said Newton. He supports Newton, does not believe the assault claim, and said he believes the real issue has to do with the changing demographics of the city over the past 30 years, which is now largely minority but was once predominantly white. But he told The Daily Beast that the police department employs 18 officers. If you actually go and talk to most people that actually live here in the city, they actually like the things that Im doing.. Aziz was awarded the New Zealand Cross, New Zealand's highest award for bravery. At a certain point, I had to remind him that I was the mayor and kicked him out of my office, he told The Daily Beast. Job Opportunities Currently hiring APOST Certified Officers at jobsquest.org Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow Police Contact Information