The sound of drumming generates new neuronal connections in all parts of the brain. Close off openings on the sides to prevent birds from becoming trapped between . Its physics. My mom who sings in a choir of Angels at her church had a crush on the bands drummer. the power of music and drumming within a fitness class is revolutionary. I love your valuable articles. All the best to you, Rock Star! I had drumming at a memory/life celebration ceremony in honor of my youngest son who had walked past us the year before. Or kicked or batted with your left hand. Now, thats the type of health care we need not more pills or sterile tech. I love my work and the opportunities I am given to serve. Why is the drum so powerful and what is an intentional drum circle? Id like to add that synthetic drums also allow one to connect with the rhythm and others. In their 1980 hit song, "Don't Stand So Close . thanks so much. Drumming, yoga, dancing and pottery to me are heavenly. One of the few things we know about our universe is that everything in it is vibrating, is in motion, and has a rhythm. Any hand held type of drum, such as frame drums, the djembe, tubano work fine. Soreness is a good thing! People can enjoy a relaxing and energizing time by participating in the drum and dance circle or watching and listening to the variety of world drum rhythms. 2. Their reactions can range from meditative to curious and playful interaction. I actuallyJust got home from a djembe lesson. Hand drumming, along with natural remedies and acupuncture gave me my life back. Thanks so much for your article. . Your article is a fantastic exposure of the healing power of this modality! I joined a drumming circle 6 months ago, and didnt understand the experience which was off the charts feeling so connected and accepted by these fellow drummers . THAT IS WONDERFUL. Drum on oh Heavenly TOMMY PURPLE HAZE!! I have been in drumming circles, drummed for entertainment, and drummed for healing for the past 20 years. Reduce Blood Pressure, Anxiety/Stress. If ever you come to Australia we will happily run a drum circle for you. There are Hospitals who have therapeutic programs which involve drumming and the use of percussion instruments as part of their therapy. This groove-inducing tactic breaks away from the strait feel when every note falls on the expected beat. I ask because I am compiling some literature which demonstrates some of the benefits of drumming and I wish to include as much evidence as possible. I have also noticed that if I dont drum for a while, I get depressed. As the building blocks were being put into place to form our new little community, a devastating storm hit the southern United States. Thanks for this article! In addition, at a point during the ceremony I will offer drum healing to those who have interest. I am a hospice volunteer and these are the forgotten people. Come visit the Kripalu campus, nestled in the breathtaking Berkshire mountains, for a nourishing retreat full of yoga, nutritious meals, mindful outdoor experiences, and more. My body has been abused a bit through racing motocross, off-roading accidents, freeway motorcycle accidents, commercial deep-sea diving, ten years in the Army, drug rehab and eighteen years of physically fighting with the criminally insane while working at a state institution. Thank you, and best wishes. Belly dancers and African style or any kind of dancers are welcome. https://www.facebook.com/lesfemmesdekissidugu/. His E.A.teacher asked if it was alright, the gym teacher and myself agreed he could come in, so the E.A. Syncopation brings excitement to music by playing with our expectations for where the beat should occur. Funnily enough the first day I did drumming I got sinus infection followed by a chest infection and then the next week a stomach cramp that put me in hospital so I dont believe it improves immune system but it might be flushing things out. The class that I finish in two weeks is Relaxation and Stress Reduction. Why is African drumming often very complex? One class l had set up for I was going to sing them a couple of songs while playing the drums, just to give them more inspiration on what also can be done while drumming. Growing up taking music in high school, I failed terribly, the system was set up for failure. I hope you can continue to enjoy and revel in the amount of physical power that you have . I currently teach drums part time at the Guitar Center, play live and in sessions with many well known bay area artists, and conduct seminars on drum/percussion therapy (and play an annual concert with other doctor friends). Drumming Boosts Confidence. The feeling came back about 5 years ago and I felt the need to play again wonderful! It was in 2013when I went to REHAB. I was amazed because I knew she hadnt been actively drumming in a while. We get energized, we get relaxed. They are incredibly powerful and offer a deeply spiritual experience. You strike me as someone who will not give up!!! I have many wonderful experiences, dont want to leave out any, here are a few. I recently graduated from a Bachelor of Music here in Western Australia, prior to which I did a bachelor of Science, majoring in Cognitive Neuroscience and Social Psychology very excited to be putting what I have learnt into action and start giving back to the community. During this covid crisis and feeling very tense and negative, I looked him up on youtube. The third reason for hammering is for communication. I will find a studio that offers drumming lessons so that not only will I be able to learn a new skill but have fun doing it with my mom as well. Drumming is so powerful for overall health for several reasons, the main ones being: It reduces feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression. I added elements that are both beneficial and create the love for music. In fact this is my only form of income. Blessings, Julie. If you had a bad day before starting to drum you cant even think about it. It was magical and I miss it!! After a month I had to get my own drum kit. I love what I do!! To unfamiliar ears, native drumming and singing might sound similar. Try classical Pilates. Try working out as you normally do but if the pain is too hard to bare then take it easier on yourself. We have the best time, everyone in class is great and Ive become a complete drumming junkie! RhythmSoul Drumming, Wow! I have been a drummer in many capacities for over 40 years. I forgot about it for years and one day I said I want to do this. Kassa. I go once a week but if they offered more I would be there. I CRY AND FEEL HUGE ENDORPHINS. maybe you just explained it. I have lupus and my immune system is compromised. Great Article!! I will be sure to tell my wife that we should get our son into drumming! What a joy! West African drumming is my passion. Patty Aulik, Director Tip 2: Play to a Backing Track with a Click. All the best! Research shows that the physical transmission of rhythmic energy to the brain actually synchronizes the left and right hemispheres. Drumming has also been used therapeutically since ancient times. There are several organizations that teach people how to become either a drum circle facilitator or a drum therapist. According to a recent study, the cabling that . Drumming is such an ancient and healing practice. When I first started, I could barely do a roll up. Answer (1 of 19): I'm not sure, but I think it may have something to do with his energy, without which, The Who's music wouldn't have had nearly the same impact it did, neither live or on record. Hey, MartinI, too, am almost 57 yrs old and, like you, picked up the drums when I was 16. It is joyful, stress relieving and so much fun. This makes the kickboxing seem mild as you have to be so incredibly strong. The people who come together at DRUMS from HEAVEN are all special. Sorry Big Pharma but drumming is much safer and more effective. Love this! Jaw. Hi, The drumming I have done which was minimal was fabulous. But you have to surrender . I like your idea by the way, of delivering facilitated drum circles to at risk groups. Michael Drake wrote the above, almost verbatim back in 2006. Do you have any references for the studies which you mentioned? Drum beats used in these ceremonies come from a variety of different drum types made with various woods and animal hides. Please feel free to contact me and maybe we can talk about how I can assist your organization ! I love it so much. I sing and drum too! Thank you! So that means usually once or twice a week for two hours I am totally concentrating On my timing and the pattern on playing. I fell in love with it the first class. She would do activities and probably words or songs with him off to the side. I am desperate to play again after a year off because of the following symptoms. Your gift helps create a more awakened, compassionate, and connected world. Thank you for the excellent article. I would relish the idea of translating my knowledge and love of rhythm and drumming to positive participation by others for their physical, emotional or other types of healing. I have been playing the djembe since around 2010. An Empaths Best Protection Against Energy Vampires. For our final project we are to design and present our own stress reduction program. It's important when doing this to focus on the click and not the instruments. Contact Heather or Deb at the Soulstice Wellness center. You're beating . We drum and dance for the fun of it, we make each other happy and while we do this we try and help raise money for a worthy cause. Thank You.*. I need the drums, so I came back for a couple more times. Instead of running around the house while you're trying to make dinner, they . I am a data architect, which is very logical, but I am also very creative and have hobbies making music and art. Im a drum circle facilitator and drum circles dont normally include movement. Thank you for this great comment. I know I have a bad posture, and I am trying to keep upright. I belonged to a womans drumming circle many moons ago. Ree Drummond 's husband Ladd is still healing months after he was involved in a truck collision with his nephew, Caleb . I cant concentrate much but by playing the drum I can sit for 2 hrs almost everyday. I loved them. Ginger. This is why the drum is played so often in powwows and spiritual and religious ceremonies. But thats no reason to accept not ever playing the drums again. Certified Reiki Master and Drummer. Looking forward to revisiting at sine point. That was a confirmation to me that I was also doing a good job. The drum has been part of my Irish culture for millennia, the sound of the drum connects us to our mothers heartbeat, her first communication with us in utero and perhaps the one we need to get back to in order to heal mother/child history. "Drumming is associated with a lot of energy, a lot of strength, a lot of power and a lot of masculinity," Mutua says. After every class I felt better and clear minded. An underlying force in life. African music is a total art form closely integrated with dance, gesture and dramatization. And listening to drum sounds regularly can have the same effect as drumming itself. And yes it is incredibly difficult. My idea is to bring out a rhythmic motion where it reflects participants current state and then transforms into a higher positive state through a systematic approach. But, the benefits you receive when you take this type of class are so much greater than those of your average aerobics class. You have a wonderful sense of humor!! This same Alpha activity is associated with meditation and other integrative modes of consciousness. This article is amazing and well written, has definitely educated me a difference sense and giving more Love for drumming. I have also been attending drum circles for a few years and have only just recently handcrafted my own drum and drumstick. I felt like I had discovered the roots of all music learning and healing! Some people may learn these things faster than others thanks to their natural sense of rhythm. Thats all Ill say about that. Rhythm is that which is unseen but felt. The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. I had my first drum kit 2 weeks later and have been in the pocket ever since. The drumming takes my brain to a whole other place. Footdrumming, as with other signals, probably originated by ritualization of older . Drumming plays a major role in disciplining and calming the mind in both Buddhism and martial arts. I tried cardio drumming, but it made the back pain worse. As such, Alpha waves can also produce feelings of well-being and even euphoria, which may help people who suffer from mental illness, such as depression and anxiety. This is why you might see a flicker pounding on a metal power pole or your house siding - to make the loudest sound he can, not to look for food or drill a hole, but to make a statement. And now, after a 15 year hiatus after a fruitless 6 year stint at community college, I have returned to finish for my BS in Alternative Medicine! You could play a wind instrument and sing in sequence. I am a drummer for horses and an equine reiki healer. Thank you so much for sharing this. I was diagnosed with Parkinsons in 2004. How did the Classic era piano differ from its predecessor, the harpsichord? If you need help, ask a friend expert DJEMBE tuner! Okay, so Yoyoka Soma took off in popularity a couple of years ago. Its good exercise for the brain, as it requires conscious effort tol isten to the music and pick up the beat. Ive been playing over 20 years. Hand drumming is actually my best form of meditation because I am so present and so in the moment, the past and future do not exist in the 3 hours of drumming that feels like 15 minutes. A very good context here Dr. Christine. The experiences were profound and re-shaped my life. Thank you SO much for sharing this here. The Beauty of playing a hand drum is amazing, the connection is so natural from the wood the drum came from and the skin thats on top that was made from an animal. Sounds like sharing your gift is helping to rebuild lives. Drumming is an aural skill as much, and possibly more than even a physical one. As for bass, guitar, or keyboard -- it's all about multitasking. It also has many social benefits, as our regular participants have become like family. And such a beautiful example of something healing and uplifting coming from loss. Both Christine and Jim offer online training. I drum about 5 times a week (with people and on my own) and the health benefits are amazing! Drumming can have positive effects on your health and may help with many conditions from stress, fatigue, and anxiety, to hypertension, asthma, chronic pain, arthritis, mental illness, addiction, and even cancer. I guess you could say that the drums saved my life. He held the mic tapped out three beats on the mic, said a couple of words, tapped three beats, said his words, he done this amazing song for us before the rest of the class came in. And I keep getting stronger and more flexible. Lifelong learning. We also have a singing group specifically for Parkinsons people, so Im keeping busy. I hope that many more medical professionals like yourself promote recreational drumming and its health benefits. Peace, love, joy and drum. And enjoy this service to humanity that you are providing! Tania. I love how you have wired your brain and body to be ambidextrous as it were. My son bought a drumming kit as a teenager, and I used to sneak into his room when he wasnt at home and play his drums. at this state they can put what they want into your brain. I have been Drumming since I saw Ringo Starr with the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. You might want to read up on it, to see if the symptoms sound like yours. You would certainly be welcome, this is a group of wondrous women. So I would say, it has NOTHING to do with your age. It has also helped me with sinus issues as well. Im a drum student and a drum teacher. I USUALLY SCREAM TOO IN ENJOYMENT!!!!!!! I can attest to the benefits named above. Anthropologist Michael Harner, founder of the Foundation for Shamanic Studies, did pioneering work in the 1960's and 70's in studying the effects of drumming. Its all available to you. Last year just before ending my last sessions with the students, I was asked to come back to the school for couple more times. He was a drummer who always strived to make his performance exceptional. . I now use both grips, because each has its own advantages. Forward and/or rotated head posture is pain from the brainstem and above, or neuropathic pain. However, other people who are more academic-minded will learn . We are based in Oakland, CA. Is there a reference list for these claims?