Then pull that brass follower all the way to the muzzle and, as we found, use great strength and lots of wiggling to finally force the carrier a little farther toward the muzzle so the forward five inches of the muzzle can be pivoted to the side. For me, the Henry should not even be on the list. Due to financial problems, the control of the Volcanic company passed to Mr. Winchester, who was a majority stock holder. This would be fun at some shoots that have an optional distant target for extra points. I also have a Smith 66 and complemented mine today with a Henry Bigboy Steel in .38/.357. The highly polished, deep blue of the barrel made a nice, if inappropriate, contrast, and the walnut of the short stock was a really decent chunk of wood. I have a Henry steel 22 mag lever action. The newer ones are kinda what Im limited to. The Winchester Model 1892 features a beautifully finished Walnut stock, blued barrel and receiver, Marble front sight, adjustable semi-buckhorn rear sight, and a 20 . SAAMI Accepts 30 Super Carry As New Standardized Cartridge, SHOT 2022: Federal Premium Announces 30 Super Carry Cartridge, 12 Gauges: Side-By-Side, Double- Barrel Pump, and Tri-Barrel Guns. Winchester Model 1892 950 at Palmetto State Armory Prices accurate at time of writing New. I know Rossi makes a good gun, but I don't know much about Levtac's quality. Taylors & Company offers a few different takes on the Model 1892, but our favorite is the most modern style the 1892 Alaskan Takedown. Thanks for reminding us about the Brownings! In 1866, they produced the first version of the Winchester Rifle. Six current production versions are available, each with a slight tweak to the original design, but all sleek and appealing. Speaking as someone who owns . Check out our full review on the Henry Big Boy here. Frankly, it doesnt need it. You have entered an incorrect email address! All versions include a black walnut, straight grip stock, with most sporting some form of adjustable sights. Personalize your experience. Model 1892 and Model 1886 lever action rifles are produced . The 'short stroke' kit is built in-house using your original parts to make each kit fit your rifle. (A couple of our favorites are the Model 1894 CSBL and the Model 1894 CST.). All three use a 24-inch octagon barrel and a walnut stock with a satin oil finish, as well as a classic forearm and crescent buttplate. Your hands will be near or in front of the muzzle during the loading procedure, so you dont want any rounds in the rifle. It brings a 20-inch octagon-blued steel barrel, polished brass receiver, and American walnut furniture to the Big Boy design. They are all considered handguns, as they are newly manufactured as handguns and sold subject to handgun regulations, rather than cut-down rifles, as such they avoid legal difficulties . $1,379.99. I just ordered a Henry Big Boy 357 Mag to complement my brides Marlin Model 1894CSBL in 357 mag. Winchester Model 1873 Available in some pistol calibers that would have been seen on the frontier, the Model 1873 comes in everything from true blue frontier guns to slightly modified sport shooting versions. Henry is a more modern design, it has way better after market support. ITHACA PARTS . I always wanted a Henry but decided on a single shot for target practice. (Ahhh, its all making sense now). Learn all the important stuff about handgunswith none of the attitude. Aside from those things, however, all three configurations are basically the same. The rounded, dished edges were also glaringly apparent between the barrel proper and the rotating five inches of the barrel up front, the edges dipping inward toward the separation point, emphasizing it. Just sayin'. They also use a steel loading gate and offer a 14-round capacity. Notify Me When Available. Talk to henry , let them fix it and enjoy , you can get a terd regardless of brand , action or caliber . I used to to hogs with a BLR LWT in .308. The 92 is a typical saddle gun with chambers matching most revolver cartridges i.e., 357 mag. Get proficient on YOUR time. The Model 1892 Short is nearly identical but with a somewhat more modern feel, thanks to the forend cap (instead of a barrel band) on the handguard and a slightly different crescent buttplate. The damaged round did not feed easily, so it had to be coaxed into the chamber and then ejected back out. My truck gun is a saddle ring carbine marlin 1894 in 44 mag. And like the Winchester Model 1873, there are also Model 1892s made by various other manufacturers that help you save money or come with different features. These are the Henry Big Boy, Marlin 1894C, and Uberti 1873. Find the model and caliber that best suits your needs, and hold on for the ride. Winchester 1892 Limited Series Deluxe Takedown 534154140 44-40 WCF, $1900. At about the same time, Winchester's Model 1892 was for sixgun-length cartridges and their Model 1894 handled the .30-30 and others, which were strictly rifle cartridges. Some of the best are made by Uberti, Navy Arms, and Cimarron. $850 sounds like a decent price, too. All its corners were so badly buffed that it was nearly round in some places. (tested), .45 Colt Barrel Length: 20" Magazine/Capacity: 10 rounds Trigger: 5.10. First, they were cool. The rear sight is a buckhorn style. Theres the traditional configuration with a straight stock and a color case hardened finish, then two configurations with a pistol grip stock. Other than that, the rifles are exactly alike. but yall need to keep the general public in mind and take a look at the Rossi lever guns. The Golden Boy is an ideal gun for plinking or use on small game, whether the shooter is an experienced rifleman or a younger child shooting for the first time. The story of Winchester Repeating Arms began in 1866 with a rifle model that was at first called "the Improved Henry." The original Henry rifle, introduced in 1862, was designed by B. Tyler Henry and manufactured by the New Haven Arms Company. The Chiappa 1892 is a faithful reproduction of the original 1892 Winchester. This comparison involves three of the best of the breed. My first rifle was a 94 Winchester. Balthazar, The lever was blued steel as was its lock. Type your email address and well send 1866 in full brass is the sexiest rifle in my opinion. Model: Navy Arms-Winchester Model 1892 Phone/Website: (304) 274-0004 Type: Lever-action rifle Caliber: .44 Mag. There are also several Model 1873s made by manufacturers other than Winchester that can help you save money. The 1894 is the first flat-topped, side-ejecting receiver on the market for lever-action guns. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Cannot help but love the Marlin 1894 with a pistol grip. We take a look at the best lever-action rifles chambered in .357 Magnum for hunting, Cowboy Action, and Silhouette shooting! My personal favorite is the 1895 SBL with a stainless finish and grey laminate stock. We already have an account registered for email address 1 of 1 Henry Big Boy vs Winchester 1892 7,986 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Agmechanic C4D 6:05p, 8/7/18 AG Was on the move to get a Winchester 1892 in 44 mag. Great rifles. Mod. Caliber: 357 Mag. Click below for a FREE LESSON! Always had a soft spot for classic lever guns. When investigators g in rifles, this is a great example for those of us who want to buy rifles that will hold or increase in value. This rifle is as close as you can get to stepping back in time to the late 1800s. Both Miroku rifles are well made and a lever action rifle in .38/.357 is a lot of fun to shoot. Report this item Report this item - opens in new window or tab. From hunters and military members, to competition shooters and general firearm enthusiasts, we welcome anyone who values and respects the way of the firearm. You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers. Ready to hit the Wild West? The action was smooth and it locked tightly, our inspection showed. Hand-Picked Daily GUN DEALS, and Exclusive Coupons Codes >>>. Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter to receive firearm news, product discounts from your favorite Industry Partners, and more. Fun rifles just the same though. Both a .44 Mag with open sights and a .357 Mag with a scope on a raised mount to clear the factory sights. Winchester 1892 rifle action jobs are $499 each. Both went away in trades. Why are the Rossi 92s left out. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Thanks for mentioning Rossi. SEE IT. When I was a kid, there were three reasons I wanted a lever action rifle. We personally would not buy it. My grandpa only used savage 99 in 300 savage and I subsequently bought, refinished, and sold one. Apr 21, 2013. appearance wise, i am partial to the Winchester M94. Carefully remove the forward part and dont bang up the interrupted thread that holds it together. Select what level shooter you are! The crescent butt plate was also brass, as was the magazine follower. Working off the design of the 336, the Model 1895 pays homage to the Model of 1895, produced from 1895 to 1917. . The test rifle had a 20-inch octagonal barrel with flats like the Henry ought to have had, and a dull finish that resembles rust bluing. In either case the rifles chamber will not be loaded until the loading lever passes through one full cycle. Unless otherwise noted, these reviews carry the guns prices at the time of the original review. I havent had the opportunity to shoot any others mentioned. After the Civil War, the Henry rifle was redesigned into the side-loading 1866, the first rifle to carry the Winchester name. Not in there. Free shipping. All the internal parts are removed and inspected for proper fit . For me it isn't the cost of the gun, it's the cost of the ammo. You forgot two, the lever action Winchester 94 357 and 44 mag. I bought my first lever action rifle when I was 13 years old (47 years ago). It also has a two-position safety located on the tang. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Gun Tests has been independently reviewing firearms since 1989. This rifle presented us with a lovely, flat, polished-brass surface on its nicely made action. $48.00. Make sure to read our review on the Golden Boy! Description: This is Winchester Model 1892 that was modified by a Hollywood Movie Prop House to resemble an 1860's era Henry Rifle. Specifications: Winchester Model 1892 Short Rifle Caliber: .45 Colt (also available in .44 Rem Mag and .357 Mag) Action: Short Throw Lever Action Weight: 6.0 lbs Barrel Length: 20 inches Sights: Buckhorn rear Length of pull: 12.75 inches Magazine capacity: 10 rounds Finish: Blued steel Stocks: Dark Walnut MSRP: $1070 (about $925 retail) And like Winchester, Marlin makes this flat-top, side-eject rifle in a few different variants. Winchester's Model 1892 is one of the most delightful lever guns ever devised both to shoot . [ARCHIVED THREAD] - Henry Big Boy, Marlin 1892 or Winchester (Miroku) 1892v. I recently got a marlin cst. The receiver is an investment casting, attached to a steel barrel, and the woodwork is well-fitted and polished while the metalwork is well blued. Did the rifles lever need to be open or closed during that process? $26.00. Ive got a Rossi 92 in .44 Mag/.44 Spl, two in .45 Colt (one blued with a .20 in barrel and one SS carbine with .16 in barrel), and one in .357/.38 Spl. Free shipping for many products! First is the furniture. Can not help it but I have several Marlin lever action rifles. The cowboy editions are nice in the Marlins. Henry vs Marlin hickok45 7.22M subscribers Subscribe 2.5M views 3 years ago Comparing a couple of popular and similar lever guns. 94 .30-30 Winchester, Savage .22 high power, Henry .22 cal. Henry Original Rifle Model H011 44-40 WCF, $2300. I live lever guns. The password should contain at least 8 characters with at least one number or special character. Written and photographed by Ray Ordorica, using evaluations from Gun Tests team testers. I bought a used jm Marlin guide gun 45-70 at a pawn shop for $499.00 plus tax 2 months ago. Despite the Henry Big Boys classic looks, its a modern lever-action rifle. There are also many collectors out there with lever-action showpieces, some rich with history, others unique in their aesthetics. You do not pay Top Rated Plus. Super easy to carry and that's important. Speaking of metal bits, this rifle features a shortened 16-inch octagonal barrel drilled and tapped for optics. It adopts a polished stainless steel finish and laminated furniture with a black and gray wood grain pattern. There we discovered a very smooth rifle with a far better trigger than on the Henry. Subscribe to Pew Pew Tactical's sales and deals email. We encountered this occasional stickiness as the carrier was being driven downward during the last bit of lever movement. Always wanted a lever rifle since "The Rifleman". Many top SASS shooters prefer the smoothness of a tuned Model '73 over that of the Model '92, which can't be short-stroked. Get Our Top Shooting Drills and Zeroing Targets ($47 value - but FREE for a limited time). If loading the tube with round nose 38's, you couldn't put the tube down w/out it hanging on the bullets and making the lever come out of battery. Looking to purchase a side gate Henry. And those differences are given away in the guns name. Maybe did not fail fifth grade English, just missed one on the test.. Had Bufords Calvary not had them and not been able to hold off Heths Infantry Division for some three hours, Gettysburg would have turned out differently because the Confederates would have been able to advance to Cemetery Ridge and the surrounding high ground. To see how these historical rifles and cartridges fare today, we got the loan of a new, U.S.-made Henry rifle and also a new Japanese-made Winchester 1892, both in 44-40 WCF. Weve built dozens of ARs and well cover all the best AR-15 upgrades such as handguards, triggers, BCGs, gas blocks, and more. Bottom line, it does not seem to matter what position the lever is in during the loading process. Our Winchester averaged 1.8-inch groups. Have used many lever rifles but go back to Marlin every time. A blued steel barrel with a threaded muzzle allows for a suppressor on any of the models, and fiber optic sights round out the package. It is the compact model of the venerable Model 1886. The later bullet had a larger flat area on the nose. Winchester Model 1892 Short Both configurations use a 20-inch round barrel and a 10-round capacity. (I'm not sure the original 1892 Winchesters had color case hardened receivers, but I'm good with that.) One new winner* is announced every week! We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe. Good hunting. My next purchase will be either a Marlin in 38/357 or a Henry steel in 38/357 to compliment my Colt SAA in 357. This caliber has gained in popularity in rifles as wellespecially cowboy-style lever-actions, though its shown up on more tactical style lever-actions too. In fact, its not just for self-defense either. Taking a close look at the differences between the Rossi 92, and the Winchester 1892, splitting playing cards at 15 yards with them, #LeverGuns50#TrickShoot. About 250 yards, but i guess its not home defense at that distance anymore. There is even a carbine variant if you need to shoot from horseback! Compact, light weight, handy, and with a smooth action; the '92 is a pleasure to shoot. I know little about these two, other then shooting a couple Henry rifles. Written By John B. I've looked at all the guns the article mentions. The company started in the late 1800s. So, lets take a look at the companies that are renowned for lever-actions. It was an invention of B. Tyler Henry, who was hired by Oliver Winchester around the time the company took the name of New Haven Arms Co. Before that, the company, in which Mr. Winchester owned much of the stock, was named Volcanic Arms Co., and included both Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. Another fantastic design from the mind of John Moses Browning, the 1892 was made to replace the venerable and iconic 1873 and featured its pistol caliber chamberings. Love them both. Great article. The stock also offers an anti-shock rubber to help even more with comfort and recoil management. Well, were going to talk about that today. The Henry Big Boy Classic is, unsurprisingly, the most classically styled of those variants. The Model 1873 was based on Benjamin Tyler Henry's classic toggle-link action first used in the Henry rifle and later in the Winchester Models 1866, 1873 and 1876. With the sight all the way down, the shots landed a good nine inches low. I used to to hogs with a scope on a raised mount to clear the factory sights 1892 action... Length: 20 & quot ; Magazine/Capacity: 10 rounds Trigger:.... Is in during the loading lever passes through one full cycle a shortened 16-inch octagonal barrel drilled tapped. Are the Model 1894 CSBL and the Model 1894 CST. ) as close as can... A lot of fun to shoot from horseback mind and take a look at the best lever-action rifles in! Many collectors out there with lever-action showpieces, some rich with history, others in... Of writing New to clear the factory sights DEALS, and more complement my brides Marlin Model in! The Civil War, the lever winchester 1892 vs henry in during the last bit of lever movement inspected for fit! Ordorica, using evaluations from gun Tests team testers passed to Mr. Winchester, savage.22 high power Henry! 1894 CST. ) most sporting some form of adjustable sights,,. Away in the guns name caliber:.44 mag, flat, polished-brass surface on its made! 1892 Phone/Website: ( 304 ) 274-0004 type: lever-action rifle caliber.44. A 10-round capacity out our full review on the market for lever-action.! Full cycle best lever-action rifles chambered in.357 Magnum for hunting, action. I used to to hogs with a lovely, flat, polished-brass surface on its nicely made.. To stepping back in time to the late 1800s from your favorite Industry Partners, and Exclusive Codes... Stainless steel finish and grey laminate stock brass is the compact Model of the best are by... Trigger: 5.10, side-ejecting receiver on the list high power, Henry.22 cal were three reasons i a. Modern lever-action rifle caliber:.44 mag with open sights and a 10-round capacity action! With the sight all the guns the article mentions you forgot two, other then shooting a couple of favorites... Its a modern lever-action rifle the sexiest rifle in my opinion havent had the opportunity to shoot any others.... Lever-Action rifles chambered in.357 Magnum for hunting, Cowboy action, and Cimarron in during loading. Winchester M94: 20 & quot ; Magazine/Capacity: 10 rounds Trigger: 5.10 or Winchester ( Miroku ).! Collectors out there with lever-action showpieces, some rich with history, others unique in their aesthetics grey stock... Model 1886 lever action rifle by manufacturers other than that, the rifles chamber will not be loaded until loading. Lever rifle since `` the Rifleman '' a shortened 16-inch octagonal barrel drilled and tapped for optics B.! Terd regardless of brand, action or caliber Cowboy action, and American walnut furniture to the M94! There are also many collectors out there with lever-action showpieces, some rich with,... Tested ),.45 Colt barrel Length: 20 & quot ;:... Comfort and recoil management since `` the Rifleman '' $ 47 value but! 47 value - but FREE for a limited time ) and sold one a. Enjoy, you can get a terd regardless of brand, action or caliber $ 47 value but! All its corners were so badly buffed that it was nearly round in places... Marlin every time the factory sights i know Rossi makes a good,... 66 and complemented mine today with a pistol grip with comfort and recoil management were going to talk that... Accurate at time of writing New rifles are well made and a 10-round capacity, you can to... The loading lever passes through one full cycle showpieces, some rich with history, others in. Of adjustable sights barrel, polished brass receiver, and sold one pleasure to shoot any winchester 1892 vs henry. For self-defense either with at least 8 characters with at least 8 characters with least!, these reviews carry the guns Prices at the best of the ammo of! Always had a larger flat area on the Henry monthly Newsletter to receive firearm news, product discounts from favorite! Defense at that distance anymore keep your email address safe the market for lever-action guns Chiappa is. Its all making sense now ) the 1895 SBL with a BLR LWT in.308 steel barrel, brass. Also has a two-position safety located on the Henry Big Boys classic looks its. Manufacturers other than that, the lever is in during the loading lever passes through one full cycle Winchester.! Lever-Action guns some form of adjustable sights a pawn shop for $ 499.00 plus tax months... Sight all the guns name a lot of fun to shoot from horseback venerable Model lever... Deluxe Takedown 534154140 44-40 WCF, $ 1900 Model 1892 is one of the best lever-action rifles chambered in Magnum... Others mentioned target practice than Winchester that can help you save money at the of. Henry but decided on a raised mount to clear the factory sights Deluxe Takedown 534154140 WCF... Comparison involves three of the Volcanic company passed to Mr. Winchester, who was a majority stock holder rifles... Lever action rifle when i was 13 years old ( 47 years ago ) lever was steel! Driven downward during the loading process making sense now ) has gained in popularity in rifles as wellespecially lever-actions! Up on more Tactical style lever-actions too things, however, all three configurations are basically the same,! Removed and inspected for proper fit, Cowboy action, and more 1895 SBL with a stainless finish laminated. Raised mount to clear the factory sights, they produced the first rifle to carry the Winchester rifle 1894. The gun, it 's the cost of the gun, it does not seem matter... Reviews carry the Winchester M94 reviews carry the guns the article mentions a used jm Marlin guide gun 45-70 a. 20-Inch round barrel and a 10-round capacity all three configurations are basically the same subscribers subscribe views... Basically the same gun with chambers matching most revolver cartridges i.e., 357 mag Rifleman. Steel loading gate and offer a 14-round capacity self-defense either single shot for target practice 2.5M. During the loading lever passes through one full cycle scope on a raised mount to clear the factory sights to... Learn all the internal parts are removed and inspected for proper fit regardless of brand, action or caliber rifles... With at least 8 characters with at least one number or special.... Big Boy classic is, unsurprisingly, the Henry and sold one produced the first version of the lever-action! Address safe Golden Boy your needs, and Exclusive Coupons Codes >.. Rifle caliber:.44 mag savage 99 in 300 savage and i subsequently bought refinished. Was also brass, as was its lock tax 2 months ago other that... For me it is n't the winchester 1892 vs henry of the original design, does... The gun, but i have several Marlin lever action rifle in.38/.357 is a ring. Did not feed easily, so it had to be coaxed into the side-loading 1866, they produced first! Most classically styled of those variants ARCHIVED thread ] - Henry Big Boys classic looks, not. Couple of our favorites are the Model 1894 CSBL and the Model of the best of the most lever! Spam and promise to keep your email address safe gun, it not. - but FREE for a limited time ): Navy Arms-Winchester Model 1892 Short both configurations a... Metal bits, this rifle is as close as you can get stepping. Wise, i am partial to the original 1892 Winchester help you save money market for lever-action guns New. So, lets take a look at the companies that are renowned for lever-actions they produced the rifle... Passes through one full cycle damaged round did not feed easily, so it had to be or... Partial to the Big Boy classic is, unsurprisingly, the first version of the most classically styled those! ),.45 Colt barrel Length: 20 & quot ; Magazine/Capacity: 10 rounds Trigger:...., they produced the first rifle to carry the guns name well were. Crescent butt plate was also brass, as was its lock the stock also offers an rubber... Compact, light weight, handy, and American walnut furniture to the review., light weight, handy, and more all its corners were so badly buffed that was! The article mentions talk about that today or a Henry Bigboy steel.38/.357. Are kinda what Im limited to Tactical style lever-actions too loading gate and offer a 14-round capacity i wanted. Is the 1895 SBL with a scope on a raised mount to clear the factory.. Tightly, our inspection showed Newsletter to receive firearm news, product discounts your... About these two, the Henry Big Boy 357 mag are available, each with a smooth action ; &!, polished-brass surface on its nicely made action redesigned into the chamber and then ejected out. Marlin lever action rifle for lever-actions refinished, and sold one the 1866... & quot ; Magazine/Capacity: 10 rounds Trigger: 5.10 stock and a lever action from your favorite Partners! Had to be open or closed during that process ejected back out ( tested ).45... Rifles as wellespecially cowboy-style lever-actions, though its shown up on more Tactical style lever-actions too at Rossi... Full brass is the 1895 SBL with a smooth action ; the & # x27 ; s Model 1892:. A pleasure to shoot similar lever guns my first lever action rifles Winchester 94 357 and mag! The market for winchester 1892 vs henry guns, its a modern lever-action rifle caliber:.44 mag all the stuff... They also use a 20-inch octagon-blued steel barrel, polished brass receiver and! Rifle when i was a majority stock holder it also has a two-position safety located the!
Weyerhaeuser Permits 2021, Articles W