Catbird Creative Agency Advertising Services Cleveland, Ohio 57 followers catbird seat (noun) an enviable position; having the upper hand or greater advantage Unfortunately, misconceptions and assumptions related to the job description of an agent are rife in the illustration community. DING! Now, let me tell you why you dont need one. Christy Ewers: is mostly closed to submissions for the time being. What do you look for in a submission?Illustrators contact me at all different points in their careers, and for different reasonssome are interested in getting more freelance illustration work, some have a childrens book, comic series, or graphic novel theyd like to pitch, and some are simply looking for advice or assistance with their current clients (which could be as disparate as an indie musician and a behemoth advertising agency). Only considers picture books from established illustrators. BookStop Literary Agency (Agents & Submissions), Bradford Literary Agency(Agents & Submissions). We were thinking of matching up Susan Verde and Jay Fleck for our own pitch and then Susans editor, on her own accord, ended up approaching Jay to illustrate Susans new series. [Click here to see all Mark Malatesta reviews], Fiction/General J. Jago Manuscripts sent to them will be discarded unread. Anna Olswanger has been a literary agent since 2005. They understand the nuances of contractsforeign rights, royalty escalation clauses, merchandising (how much would you charge for ringtones? I mean, maybe some of us are glamorous, but that aside, of the agents I know (myself included) this couldnt be further from the truth. If you can, find a contract professional to read it. * Agent photos . And then submit your picture book query letter and manuscript. The snob. Catbird Agency Website: catbirdagency.com/ Twitter: HallWaysKirsten AAR/AALA Member: No Accepts Queries Via. Okay! I work alone and basically love knocking on other agents doors and asking them to come out and play! I appreciate having a trusted ear, an ally, and an advocate for my work and career. You dont have their undivided attention. Even if you get the book deal on your own, a complicated contract is sure to follow, and hopefully an ongoing business relationship has only just begun. However, there are differences in our tastes and our particular areas of proficiency, e.g., editorial, genre, licensing, promotion, etc. Get updates about Kirsten Hall and recommended reads from Simon & Schuster. For nonfiction: she is looking for compelling, voice-driven projects that shed a humorous or thought-provoking light on a previously unknown topic in the areas of narrative nonfiction/memoir, lifestyle, relationships, humor, current events, food, wine, and cooking. 3. Shes one of my favorite people in the entire industry. the Twitter version of Manuscript Wish List) Agents and editors of all writing genres post what they want. Scroll below now to view the email and postal addressfor Kirsten HallFREE in our BookAgents Directory. Who reps them? The one thing I look for across the board in a submission is a clean, professional-looking portfolio site! Be professional in your communication with an agent. and strategic process), so its not something we do all the time. Memoir/Family/Identity S. Foti I think authors and illustrators sometimes forget that agents, too, face disappointment. If an agent is interested in representing you, under no circumstances should you simply say, Great! Kirsten:Not necessarily. Erica is mostly interested in adding author-illustrators to her list andis looking for a diverse array of voices and styles. Childrens/Chapter Book J. Agee QueryTracker Members can view the data gathered by all other members, organized into reports showing 2007-2023 QueryTracker. Theyre defending. Kirsten works intimately with her clients to conceive and develop original story pitches. But Im really thrilled to be co-agenting with Erica. It sounds less hurtful. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. It is a precise and qualified process, rather than an independent, possibly unpublished artist spread betting their work across editors and art directors who they do not know apart from an impression of them through social media. A thoughtful, personalized query letter does a lot, and obviously if I connect with an art sample or a pitch, its a win, but even then my decision ultimately hinges on what that persons web presence looks like. OrderID Agency OrderID Date Class Rate Patient Name Area Shift Start End Meal Order Reason O 7138574 08/28/22 to 11/05/22 CNA|T . When Im looking at a submission, I want something that makes me feel and makes me think, and most of all, makes me want to read it again. Were both former educators, are each moms of two boys, and we identify in a lot of ways with one another, are drawn to similar stories and talents. She is just as happy working with debut talents as she is best-sellers. Pairing up directly with clients from other agencies is a great way to be proactive in making new projects happen. Deborah Harris Agency (Agents) (Submissions), D4EO Literary Agency (Agents & Submissions), Dunham Literary, Inc. (Jennie Dunham)(Submissions), Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency (Agents) (Submissions), Dystel, Goderich, & Bourrett LLC (Agents) (Submissions)(Nonfiction Submission Guidelines), Einstein Literary Management (Agents) (Submissions), Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency (Agents) (Submissions). Kirsten Hall is a former preschool and elementary school teacher who has authored more than a hundred learn-to-read stories for emergent readers. Were both trying hard to keep the number of people we represent manageable. No agency can guarantee that a particular project will sell, but we sign clients because we love their writing and want them to succeed. Books invite joy. Im reminded of my father-in-law, who spends three hours fixing a leak instead of calling a plumber who could do it in one. The coach-player analogy is much more accurate. Want more information about Kirsten Hall? Danielle is actively seeking projects in a variety of categories. And so on. Submission Guidelines: Hello! Submit to five. Nonfiction/Environment J. Biemer Familiarize yourself with their accomplishments. Congratulations! Author/Illustrators: email a brief synopsis of your manuscript, along with several accompanying illustrations or samples of your artwork. Kirsten Hall, Catbird Agency Picture books pretty much have me wrapped around their finger. Literary Agencies for Picture Books (A-F) 3 Arts Entertainment (New . Its the most comprehensive (and accurate) list of literary agencies in the world, with detailed profiles for more than 1,100 literary agents. (Maybe: Is publishing dead or not? Its not dead, but I digress.). It feels good to say, I have an agent. Its legitimizing. Its true, I love to co-agent, and I do it regularly with agents at several different agencies. Some of her favorite non-client books in these categories are: A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki, The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea, Dept. Kayla is seeking everything from heartfelt or humorous picture books (she has a soft spot for animal protagonists) to dynamic, unpredictable YA (she loves a good murder mystery or a clever rom-com). By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. And sometime between crying, I offered Jessixa representation. Most things are negotiable. She wants to be surprisedtheres nothing like the feeling that youre reading something entirely new. Youre the playerone of many players on his or her team. However, if you would like to get your work in front of her for now or the future, please submit - she reviews ALL submissions! They step out when not needed. The Bright Agency. But its good to be pushed outside our comfort zones once in a while. UK agency for illustrators of childrens books & other media. In some cases the text and art may be developing simultaneously off of one another. . More on her wish list, here. Thank you for trying us, and all good luck! Your agent cant be expected to do all the heavy lifting. Kirsten opened Catbird's wings in March 2014. So how will you know the bad from the good? This enables us to put a plan in place before the first portfolio sheet is made. What is one misconception about agents?One misconception about agents is that we are interchangeable. Can you terminate the contract if things go south? Both literary and commercial work. If you rely on those directories to find literary agents at Catbird Productions, youre going to hurt your chances of getting an agent to represent you. Book Agent Kirsten Hall previously worked as an editorial assistant at Random House (1996-1997). I'm obsessed by the story-telling opportunities offered by this highly-visual genre! Find The Agents With The Fastest Response Times. We spend a good amount of time bouncing ideas off of each other and sharing good and bad news. I was able to speak with literary agents from top agencies such as Janklow & Nesbit, Trident Media, Anderson Lit, and Folio. We promise not to share your information with third parties, and we do not spam. Childrens/YA L. Moe, What Is a Literary Agent? It all depends on who you are, and what you want. Kirsten HallLiterary Agent represents the followingbook genres: Scroll below now to view representative titlesand a complete profile for Kirsten HallFREE in ourBookAgents Directory. Agencies are still in there, but the box is getting more crowded all the time. . We have similar agenting styles, and even more importantly both value our relationship. (Though slush piles get an undeservedly bad reputation. Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming number of submissions received, personal responses are only very rarely possible. She has incredible vision and is very brave. Start with illustrators you admire. But its good to be pushed outside our comfort zones once in a while. Nonfiction/Environment J. Biemer The project may work. Association of Authors Representatives, Inc. (AAR)AAR members must meet the highest standards and canon of ethics. We spend a good amount of time bouncing ideas off of each other and sharing good and bad news. A good agent is one who helps move a project forward. Writers can search posts for agents compatible with their work. Memoir/Mainstream E. Armstrong Agents have their finger on the pulse and understand the rhythm of publishing. DO NOT QUERY THIS AGENT AT THIS TIME: Cherry is not currently accepting unsolicited submissions. I mean, youre not their only client. Publishing Agent Kirsten Hall is an agent with Catbird Productions. * AAR membership status Having Mark on your side is incredibly valuable." I also ask six well-respected agents to share their thoughts by answering three questions. Catbird Productions was founded in 2006 by Katarina Soukup. Then I look for a voice, either in the words of an author or the art of an illustrator. We are particularly interested in work about art, culture, the environment, music, and human rights. And I can already see that the books were making together are going to be magical. Book Agent Submissions 8. If we are interested in reviewing your dummy, we will request that you send it. Think about it: They meet with the editors and art directors at many publishing housesalways learning what they want and dont want; always given inside looks into publishing plans, present and future; always gaining further insight into who loosens or tightens the purse strings. It isnt as automatic as you think. In this post, you and I will go through the steps of a submission, from researching agencies to signing on the dotted linewhile having a bit of a heart-to-heart along the way. Author/illustrators: NBPlease include a link to your online portfolio and/or to your downloadable dummy. Catbird's beautifully-crafted documentaries introduce audiences to remarkable human beings, like an Ethiopian aristocrat turned communist rebel, a Montreal poet turned world-renowned winemaker, or a resilient Inuit man who competes in a grueling dogsled race despite a major disability. What do you look for in a submission?What I look for in a submission is first a professional introductory letter. Yes, you pay agents a fee, and that fee could be fairly substantial, depending on the agent. Kaylas taste lies squarely in that sweet spot between commercial and literary, and she is looking for captivating voices and rich worldbuildingwhether its a seaside town in Maine or a fantastical other world. Ive worked as a publicist, as an editor, and now as an agent and author. Ive learned how important it is to review our individual clients wants and needs. Well navigate the waters together. How active are they in the industry? What I know when co-agenting with Erica is that no matter what happens well always be good. Some of her favorite illustrators include Mike Boldt, Amber Ren, Vashti Harrison, and Eliza Wheeler. She is not seeking sci-fi, horror, or high fantasy. When was the last time you checked out Publishers Weeklys Rights Report? Take time with it. News and updates to get a top literary agent, publisher, and book deal. A few books I loved reading in my free time . Susan's submission email is: [email protected]. She has incredible vision and is very brave. Olswanger Literary LLC. We were thinking of matching up Susan Verde and Jay Fleck for our own pitch and then Susans editor, on her own accord, ended up approaching Jay to illustrate Susans new series. Well try to get back to you as quickly as possible. Theyre meeting. Responsible for . Not everyone excels at all of these, or enjoys it! But the truth is everyone in publishing faces rejection at some point. (Should you want to learn more first, our Writer's Toolbox has a handful of useful links for writers wanting to improve their craft before seeking publication.). Look, I get it, man. While her taste is broad, shes especially excited to find fresh stories and artwork from voices that have previously been underrepresented. Visit our Team Fuse page and click an agent to read their profile. For more specifics on what Susan is looking for, including information about genres and categories, please see here and here. David Higham Associates (Agents)(Submissions)A UK agency. Never miss a moment of Fuse Literarys deals and bonus content. Since it was published as Boats for Papa by Neal Porter Books in 2015, I have read it and cried again and again and again. of Speculation by Jenny Offill, Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J.Ryan Stradal, and Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. To be taken seriously, read the (damn) guidelines. You still need to hustle. On the reverse, sometimes our authors are looking for new inspiration and an illustration can be a great way to get those wheels turning. Maybe not. The overwhelming advantage in having this knowledge is proven when we come to share new work; it cuts through the noise and competition. Kirsten:Thats exactly right. I think of co-agenting as an opportunity to have double the client list with only half of the responsibility. Logo designed by Kody Chamberlain Website designed by Ian Bauer. For off-site access, click here. Agents have a broader knowledge due to their experience, and it allows the creative lines between authors and illustrators and their editors/houses to be cleaner. Check out her Literaticastpodcast. Fiction/Mainstream K. Cox When our illustrators arent working up a project of their own, were pitching them to get matched up by publishers. Call:1-800 -278-2991 (outside US/Canada, call +1-847-513-6135) 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday (Central). An agent once said to me, If you think having an agent doesnt give you a distinct advantage, youre crazy. It depends on the agent and the artist, but I tend to agree with her. Feeling hurt inflates our ego, which clouds self-awareness, which stunts creative improvement. This is why its so important to make sure theres a termination clause in your contract. * Search the directory by book genre/category (more than 100 categories). Madeleine Milburn Literary, TV & Film Agency (Agents & Submissions)NOTE: This is aUKagency. My approach with each client is different based on what they particularly need. But I dont generally find myself doing much differently with regards to my clients when co-agenting other than have hard conversations on their behalf with my my co-agent up front. I like to feel as if someone is sharing with me, not just shopping to me. While were waiting on the agents response, can I ask you why you want an agent? catbird, any of five bird species named for their mewing calls, which are used in addition to song. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. Although of course it would be totally fine for them to communicate if it would benefit the development of the proposal! But they are out there. NOTE: Each year Fuse Literary, as an agency, is closed to new submissions and queries between December 1st to January 15th. Many of us are friends. Any agents not listed above are CLOSED to submissions. But were also different from one another; we shine in different ways. It may not. But, when it feels right and exciting on our end, we hope that it will be received that way by the publishers. Sometimes your work just isnt a fit for our skill set or interests. Your parents, who arent quite sure what you do, certainly know what agents doand that will make them happy. Scroll back up to the top of this webpage now to enter your name and email for FREE information and listings for all book agents at Catbird Productions. When Stephanie first contacted me, she was very excited and said, I cant get your book proposal out of my head. They're publicizing. And I read it again and I cried again. Hall is the author of the picture books. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Insofar as the quality of your work is good, it doesnt matter if you have an agent or not. What is one misconception about agents?I can only speak for agents in the childrens book industry, but Im continually heartened and humbled by the camaraderie between kidlit agents. Agents are curators. If I have requested your work, please email me at [email protected] and please include the word "request" in your subject line (and please do NOT include the word "query'"). Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we are unable toguarantee feedback or advice in our rejections. Were both former educators, are each moms of two boys, and we identify in a lot of ways with one another, are drawn to similar stories and talents. Please submit to [email protected] & let us know who you are submitting to in the subject line! Most of the time, Im working with my clients to develop their own dummies or texts to sell directly to a publisher or Ro and I are looking within the studio for an illustrator match to a pre-existing text. As an art director, it made no difference whatsoever. Sometimes those opportunities come in fast and sometimes they dont. Youve identified fifteen to twenty agents. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. She has negotiated many hundreds of childrens book deals between authors, illustrators, and all of the major American publishers. Someone asked me once, Do you only hire artists who have agents?Not in the slightest. They're Skyping. If working at an office location and you are not "logged in", simply close and relaunch your preferred browser. Hall is Catbird Productions' sole proprietor. She is drawn toward gorgeous writing and strong, flawed characters. The answer might be a little different for our editorial colleagues with writers. Darius Foroux. Overall, Fuse agents may take 4-8 weeks to respond to queries and then additional time for submissions. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Why do I (acting as an author or illustrator) need an agent? Or familiar content has been made unrecognizable. I think of co-agenting as an opportunity to have double the client list with only half of the responsibility. full terms and conditions and this month's choices. Narrative Nonfiction D. Cohen Christy Ewers: is mostly closed to submissions for the time being. Literary Agent Kirsten Hall Catbird Productions, Author Success Story: Nonfiction/Narrative Nonfiction, [Click here to see all Mark Malatesta reviews]. Memoir/Inspirational L. Subramani All that being said, my bottom-line, if-youre-on-the-fence answer is much more straightforward: CONTRACTS. Look at what theyll do for you versus what youll have to do for yourself. Narrative Nonfiction D. Cohen Erica is a tireless advocate for her clients and proud to be a part of an industry that is so thoughtfully shaping young minds. Any agent worth their weight is in a position of privilege given that we see a birds-eye view of the industry, have a fantastic understanding of the publishing houses (in particular what the editors and art directors are looking for), and a deep understanding of imprint listswhich may not be obvious from looking online or at backlist titles. One size does not fit all. 2023 Simon & Schuster, Inc. All rights reserved. Do not query multiple agents at Fuse simultaneously. I like being asked to see or think about the world divergently. * A map to the office ofCatbird Productions Maybe. To me it is the gold standard for a picture book that makes the reader feel. Dont send your work to all of them at once. Submit a QUERY and TWENTY PAGES of your manuscript to one of the agents listed below. Each provides exact submission information (an email address or an online submission portal). Fuse Literary represents both fiction and nonfiction in a variety of categories and genres. Erica:Publishers really enjoy being in control when it comes to matching a text to an illustrator (its an extremely fun (!) Manuscripts sent to them will be discarded unread. Copyright 2023 D. B. Righi. Getfree access to the Directory of Literary Agents with detailed agent profiles. Thats exactly right. Is it consistent? does not support javascript or you have it disabled. Catbird Productions, which will package books for publishers, as well as operate as a boutique literary agency for children's book author/illustrators, with an emphasis on previously unpublished authors/ illustrators. Before you submit, read this: Please submit to [email protected] & let us know who you are submitting to in the subject line! Publishing Agent Kirsten Hall is an agent with Catbird Productions. Feel free to share your thoughts and questions in the comments section below. Sometimes those opportunities come in fast and sometimes they dont. Our hearts are very much in the right place. Kirsten:Because co-agenting can be even more unpredictable than regular agenting, and because two agents naturally need to look at whats best for two clients with different histories and hopes, the co-agenting process requires double the consideration and diplomacy. Azantian Literary Agency (Agents)(Submissions), Betsy Amster Literary Enterprises (Submissions), Bookends Jr.: A Literary Agency (Agents & Submissions), The Book Group (Agents click Our Staff tab for a drop-down list) (Submissions). Id like to thank James Burns, Kirsten Hall, JenniferLinnan, Alexandra Penfold, Linda Pratt, Erica Rand Silverman,and Laura Stiers for their time, generosity, and invaluable contributions to this article. Chad W. Beckerman: is always looking at submissions! includes resources for all writing genres (not just picture books). Pairing up directly with clients from other agencies is a great way to be proactive in making new projects happen. QueryTracker includes resources for all writing genres (not just picture books). Ive learned how important it is to review our individual clients wants and needs before offers start to come in. We usually begin by keeping the artist and author separate from one another as publishers do. You didnt receive a rejection letter. You received a critique letter. It sounds so much better, doesnt it? Kayla is also open to representing illustrators. All agents should share the ability to reasonably negotiate contracts. Erica:In some cases yes and in some cases no. Here youll find everything you need to submit work to Upstart Crow Literary. Tell us what you like and we'll recommend books you'll love. Kirsten:Lets be real, Im always looking for an excuse to hop on the phone or grab lunch with Ericaso working together gives me the perfect excuse! Odds of Getting a Book Agent We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Theyre negotiating. Memoir/Multicultural N. Aronheim The subject heading in your email should be simple but enticing. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. She is the author of 100+ children's books, has been employed since 2009 as a US-based managing agent at the Bright Agency, which is based in London and specializes in nurturing . For adult fiction, Danielle is seeking upmarket commercial fiction and literary fiction. Follow your instincts. Susan represents work for children and teens only: picture books, chapter books, middle grade, and young adult, along with some non-fiction for young readers. Kirsten Hallis a former preschool and elementary school teacher who has authored more than a hundred learn-to-read stories for emergent readers. Theyre not your parents. A word of warning: There is such a thing as a bad agent. Fiction/Mystery B. Harper Other times, well sell texts to publishers first and then when it comes time for illustrators, if there isnt someone on our list who we think is right to recommend, our next step will be to look at each others lists, or those of other agent friends. you guessed it: agents. Thank you. If tabling at a convention and pitching your work to passersby feels like your worst nightmare, bring your most outgoing friend. Why do I (acting as an author or illustrator) need an agent?The answer to this is clear to me: because it plays to strengths. When Should You Get An Agent? But the absolute wrong thing to do is blindly sign an agreement. And her first trade picture bookThe Jacketwas a 2014 New York Times Notable!) Please do not send us submissions of any kind. Agent statistics, detailing how long each agent typically takes to respond to a query. When I offer representation, ideally Id like to be in it for the long haulwhich means I want to really know who Im signing up to work with: Do they have other work thats equally enticing? Maybe the hardest method, but people do talk . No, its not. But Im really thrilled to be co-agenting with Erica. Literary Agent List Step 3: Send Out A Lot Of Submissions Before you start using our list of literary agents, it's important you understand that you should approach the process of trying to find and get a literary agent the way agents approach the process of trying to get a publisher. But, as an individual player, you arent the only one they need to help. There is a lot of uncertainty that comes along with developing a co-agented pitch from just the seed of an idea. A graduate of Simon Fraser University's Master of Publishing program and a twenty-five year veteran of Canadian publishing, Ron worked with Penguin Canada, Westwood Creative Artists, and Random House of Canada before joining CookeMcDermid in 2009. * A link to the Catbird Productionswebsite While we have different client lists, Ericas and my intentions for the books we represent are largely the same, as is our aesthetic. Ask questions. News and updates to get a top literary agent, publisher, and book deal. You heard it here first! I look for author-illustrators. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Having someone on your side who can not only advocate for better terms (and knows what the industry standards are) but also navigate all the legalese with you is key, especially if youre not well-versed. You did the homework. "Referred to you by [insert casting director's name]". As soon as you register youll get instant access to the following: * Agent bios for all agents atCatbird Productions